Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1990 Westy grey wallpaper?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy grey wallpaper? Reply with quote

Marshj wrote:

I just did my Multivan last week, used 2 cans of Dye. I forget the color I found closest and ended up with, I’ll find the van and take a picture of it.

did you find the can? i'm ready to order and want to make sure i get the right stuff!

BiWerks Design, LLC
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy grey wallpaper? Reply with quote

I Did, I have it downstairs I’ll get a picture tonight
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy grey wallpaper? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy grey wallpaper? Reply with quote

And just as a data point, my headliner still looks fantastic after all these years. Don't use ordinary contact cement to add missing bits, however. All of the little patches I put on have fallen off due to heat. Someone needs to suggest a good auto rated contact or vinyl cement. I have not researched it yet.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy grey wallpaper? Reply with quote

Marshj wrote:
SEM Vinyl Dye completely restores the wallpaper when it has glue bleed through.

I'm getting ready to do this project too, but I'm finding the color cards on the SEM site don't match very well to their actual color.. wondering what colors other folks have used?

This is 17353 (BMW silver grey) from the 'classic coat' series. How grey does it look in person? In the picture it looks really light, but a close match to the light grey cabinet laminate?

Another color that looks viable is 'Sandstone':

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/728968-which-sem-color-for-tan-interior.html

This color looks a little more 'taupe' but definitely still has grey undertones. The forum pics look a lot more grey than on the color card / sample color.

Phantom White (15003) also looks good, more on the white end of the spectrum but doesn't look too bright:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/509433-sem-color-coat-to-the-rescue.html

I'm not looking for a perfect match to the existing wallpaper, as I'm planning on painting it all since I have the interior pulled. Just want something complementary without it ending up looking like a wall of grey.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy grey wallpaper? Reply with quote

I'm completely unclear on what you're trying to do here. If you're trying to match the headliner and thats what you are calling "wallpaper" surely you've noticed there is a colored pattern on the factory headliner and no can of paint will magically create that pattern. I'm being facetious here but later you talk about the grey on the cabinet. Huh?

So. I suggest you say what you're going to spray, and what you'd like it to match as a starting point. I've sprayed both grey wall panel (fiberboard) and headliner in my van and it looks absolutely fantastic to this day, so I may have some useful input. HTH.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy grey wallpaper? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I'm completely unclear on what you're trying to do here. If you're trying to match the headliner and thats what you are calling "wallpaper" surely you've noticed there is a colored pattern on the factory headliner and no can of paint will magically create that pattern. I'm being facetious here but later you talk about the grey on the cabinet. Huh?

So. I suggest you say what you're going to spray, and what you'd like it to match as a starting point. I've sprayed both grey wall panel (fiberboard) and headliner in my van and it looks absolutely fantastic to this day, so I may have some useful input. HTH.

Sorry to leave you hanging Doug, I forgot I even asked this Laughing

I have the interior pulled to take care of some rust work, and while everything's out I want to paint / dye the factory Westfalia 'wallpaper' that surrounds the windows, covers the upper pillars, headliner, etc etc. I'm doing it all while it's easier with everything out.

I've found that the color's on SEM's website don't match very well to the actual pictures of the color I've found here and on other forums. My main questions is, if you used SEM, what color code did you go with? I'm trying for 'not too white' white, or maybe a slight taupe similar to the overall tone of the original... but that might be getting too picky.

hope that helps clear up my question!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: