Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

A while back I was staring at the mounds of VW parts strewn across my garage, shed, and basement thinking I should do something with them. I know, that is a normal Saturday afternoon for most of us here on the Samba.

As such, I began looking and thought, the only thing I am really missing is a body to put all of these parts on. So the idea to build a buggy was born.

I put some feelers out for any friends who may have a buggy body kicking around that they would let go. As luck would have it, another friend whom I am constantly trading parts to and fro, had such a body. A few hundred dollars lighter and a over a hundred pounds heavier, I was the new owner an ATV Industries Sand Shark.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Below are my concept drawings for what this thing should look like upon completion.

I also have a parts from a FIAT 1200 Cabriolet that I parted out. As well as a few parts from British Sports cars kicking around from the wife. I am going to make it right hand drive too as somehow I ended up with a set of RHD pedals. I am going to use seats out of Triumph TR7. Tail lights, signals, and dash switches from an Austin Healey Sprite, mirrors from the FIAT and maybe the steering wheel too, not sure yet. I do not want to get folks too confused.

So I will have a European amalgum of a Buggy. The idea is that I will daily drive the buggy for a full Midwestern year and document my experiences. Once that year is over, I will sell it off and free up all the space and money that these parts have consumed. Below is a video of the begining of the process.

Step 1 to building a buggy to get rid of excess parts? Buy more parts... Rolling Eyes

Link
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

Some updates to the Parts Bin Sand Shark Dune Buggy build.

I got the pan shortened to fit the body. The next step will be to get the center tunnel all cleaned up and start fabrication on rectangular tubing outer rails onto the pan.

I do have a question. The tubes for the parking brake and the heater cables were in poor shape, so I removed them. Has anyone else made new brake and heater cable tubes? I have to have the heater tubes as I intend for this to be an all weather buggy.

Here is the video we made of the process.

Link

Enjoy!
firea100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Sand Shark body like yours. Do you know what the serial number of yours is? Mine is 772 and its the same orange color as yours appears to be!
Please keep posting pics as i’m Very interested in your progress!
Thx
Larry (firea100)
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

I did not find any number or anything on the body. I did find a place where a plaque once lived. But that is long gone. Possibly removed at one point between the 5 repaints. Stay tuned. I hope to get back with an update after the new year.

Last edited by WesleyGarrard on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

This is awesome, looking forward to seeing the updates!
1961 Patina Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

Wes... In that photo, it looks as if you're about to kill the spider living in the center of the steering wheel.

Looks you'll have fun.

Jim
Manx #2614
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

I am finally back at it after a few mishaps throughout 2018 kept me from making any progress.

Here is the latest installment of the Strewn Buggy build.

https://drivetribe.com/p/making-outer-frame-rails-...z2Ypj43CSQ

Link
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

The next installment of my parts buggy!

https://drivetribe.com/p/steering-frame-floors-whe...KsPvMyYFwQ

Link
cjsuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

Glad to see you're still working on it! I love the idea of useing the parts from all different kinds of cars! Really thats what buggies should be in my mind.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

That's neat! Many years ago I switched an MG Midget to right hand steering. It was a lot of fun, I'd like to do it again someday. The pedals bolted right up, for steering I flipped the steering rack upside down and made a gear box to reverse the steering shaft direction. This was before the internet, today I could probably find the correct steering rack. I have a buggy waiting it's turn in the garage, now you have me thinking Think
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

cjsuner wrote:
Glad to see you're still working on it! I love the idea of useing the parts from all different kinds of cars! Really thats what buggies should be in my mind.

Thanks! You are right, that is always how a buggy was intended to be. Some were even marketed as a cheaper way to replace a totaled Beetle where the pan and suspension was still in good shape.

I am doing a lot of scrounging for this project. Trying to get as much stuff for it for free or through trades but striving for a high build quality.
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
That's neat! Many years ago I switched an MG Midget to right hand steering. It was a lot of fun, I'd like to do it again someday. The pedals bolted right up, for steering I flipped the steering rack upside down and made a gear box to reverse the steering shaft direction. This was before the internet, today I could probably find the correct steering rack. I have a buggy waiting it's turn in the garage, now you have me thinking Think

My wife has an MG Midget! I almost considered using a pedal box from one of those on the buggy. But in the end, I deemed it too complex and would cost more than I wanted.
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

A little teaser of the next installment of the Dun Buggy build series.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8sANMLFPhm/
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

More updates!!!

https://drivetribe.com/p/some-internal-frame-work-...Rk9GkvwShA

Link
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

Getting back into work on the dune buggy. It sort of went on the back burner while I tended to other projects. Then I sort of got bored with it. But, I have found a new way to rekindle my interest. My wife's Uncle gave me a Corvair engine. So I figured, slap it in the dune buggy!

One question for those who have done the Corvair swap in a buggy.

Is support on the rear of the engine needed or is the Crown adapter plate plenty strong to hold the extra weight?

I only ask as Chevrolet concluded that a rear engine mount was needed. Most swaps I have seen just use the rear engine mount to hold on a bumper or a license plate.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

Sweet! You will have the 6 cylinder Porsche sound now without the cost! I am envious! Do it up nice and that is a keeper now in my books!

I am completely baffled though why you went right hand drive... Confused

As far as I know the engine is just fine mounted only to the transaxle. Maybe someone with a Corvair powered Buggy could confirm that.
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Sweet! You will have the 6 cylinder Porsche sound now without the cost! I am envious! Do it up nice and that is a keeper now in my books!

I am completely baffled though why you went right hand drive... Confused

As far as I know the engine is just fine mounted only to the transaxle. Maybe someone with a Corvair powered Buggy could confirm that.

I went right hand drive partly because someone gave me a set or rhd pedals and partly because “Why not?”

It is an amalgam of German, Italian, British, and American parts.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

We have had 3 right hand drive cars because they work best for my wife to deliver mail in and have another on order right now. There are some disadvantages that you will find out soon enough. Left hand turns at busy intersections and passing on the highway require a passenger to tell you when all is clear but the big one for us right now is that it is getting hard to find an insurance company that is willing to insure them. And they jack up their rates when you do find one.
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
We have had 3 right hand drive cars because they work best for my wife to deliver mail in and have another on order right now. There are some disadvantages that you will find out soon enough. Left hand turns at busy intersections and passing on the highway require a passenger to tell you when all is clear but the big one for us right now is that it is getting hard to find an insurance company that is willing to insure them. And they jack up their rates when you do find one.

Oh, I am well versed in RHD vehicle operation. My daily driver is a 1993 Mitsubishi Minicab Kei Van. Personally, I have not had any difficulty. It all just seems right to me. State Farm gave me no problems with insuring it with full coverage and the premium was a lot cheaper that the liability only coverage we have on our Subaru Outback.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJj5ADdlaTO/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ATV Industries Sand Shark Build Series Reply with quote

All good then. Slick little minivan!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: