Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter Always Runs after Install on 78 Bus?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanitarymuffin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Starter Always Runs after Install on 78 Bus? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Newly registered, though lurking since July when I bought my 1978 bus.

I have pulled the old starter from our bus, and replaced it with model SR87. Now, upon reconnecting the battery cables the starter immediately begins to turn. I've disconnected the ignition switch wire, though the problem still remains.

I'm a not-so-mechanically inclined software engineer by trade, so this has been a good learning experience. I've consulted our factory manual, this forum, Google, and Youtube though so far haven't come across anything definitive.

Is it possible there's a junk solenoid on the new starter? Based on my understanding, the wire going to the ignition switch completes the circuit which gives the starter the juice it needs.

Any other things I might be overlooking?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Always Runs after Install on 78 Bus? Reply with quote

Quote:
s it possible there's a junk solenoid on the new starter?

yes. The only way you could screw it up is if you put the battery cable on the same post as the strap going to the starter itself. The battery cable goes on the post that does not have the braid to it.

In the photo, ignore the text, it is for testing a starter that doesn't turn. You can see the one post has a copper strap on it and then the other has nothing. The one with nothing is where the battery cable goes. If you hooked it up that way the starter / solenoid is bad. Make sure the battery cable isn't touching the other post or strap.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SGKent on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Always Runs after Install on 78 Bus? Reply with quote

Most likely what Steve suggested. If not that then something is wrong with the rebuild and you should take it back for an exchange.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Always Runs after Install on 78 Bus? Reply with quote

Make sure you are doing all this with the batterydisconnected.

Disconnect negative first, and reconnect negative last.

Don't rely on color of cables or anything but finding the plus and minus on the battery to ID the terminals , either.
sanitarymuffin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Always Runs after Install on 78 Bus? Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. After taking another look, I did, in fact, screw the installation up: The battery cable was not properly connected. The bus started right up once I fixed it Smile

I didn't use the wrong terminal... I just didn't use a terminal Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: