Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP!! Coil wired in reverse!
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeamusBlack32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

Ok. Let’s see if I can explain this simply and correctly.
Basically, pulled the engine this week.
Didn’t label wires when we took them off coil - big mistake.
Got the motor back in and wired to the coil “correctly”
Went to start her up. Turned over, wouldn’t fire on any cylinder.
Took off dist cap to find smoke coming from electronic ignition (pertronix)

Now looking back at pictures and video it looks like I was running with positive wires to negative side of coil and vice versa, prior to pulling the motor.

Is this possible?
If it was running this way, then is that how I have to run it? Has anyone ever encountered this?

Any wisdom is appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

it would not run with the Pertronix hooked up backward as you found out.
If it is hooked up backward all you have to do to burn it out is to turn on the key.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SeamusBlack32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

Not only was the pertronix backwards, but all the wires were reversed. Ignition, idle cutoff, and pertronix red on negative. Pertronix black on positive. And it ran, great. ???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

You sure the + side of the coil is inboard?

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SeamusBlack32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

Inboard? What does that mean?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

Need a new pertronix unless you can put the magic smoke back in. Once upon a time somebody here had a pic of some lucas replacement electrical smoke. About as elusive as a left handed smoke shifter.
SeamusBlack32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

I have the new pertronix in. Now I’m just scared to wire it. Cuz if I put the wires how it was when it was running. Positive is negative and negative is positive. Shocked
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

Sorry
on the coil + is usually on the left and - is on the right towards the carb, inboard

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
SeamusBlack32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

My coil is kind of pointing at the carb, with negative on top. Positive on bottom.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

SeamusBlack32 wrote:
Not only was the pertronix backwards, but all the wires were reversed. Ignition, idle cutoff, and pertronix red on negative. Pertronix black on positive. And it ran, great. ???

The coil doesn't care if you put all the positive wires on terminal 15 and the ground on 1 or if you put all the positive wires on 1 and the ground on 15, it'll still work just fine either way. What does definitely make a difference is if you have the power wire going to the coil on one terminal and the pertronix power wire on the opposite terminal -- instant paper weight as soon as you turn on power in that case.
SeamusBlack32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
SeamusBlack32 wrote:

The coil doesn't care if you put all the positive wires on terminal 15 and the ground on 1 or if you put all the positive wires on 1 and the ground on 15, it'll still work just fine either way. What does definitely make a difference is if you have the power wire going to the coil on one terminal and the pertronix power wire on the opposite terminal -- instant paper weight as soon as you turn on power in that case.

That’s the answer I was looking for. So I should wire it the same way it was, correct?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

If you already fried the pertronix, it's dead. Rearranging wires won't bring it back. Your only recourse is to replace it and make absolute certain all positive wires are on one coil terminal, and all negative wires are on the other.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

I think your daughter should slap you.
SeamusBlack32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I think your daughter should slap you.

^^ HAHA! ^^ this is why we’re the VdubDummies. I’m definitely learning.

I bought a new pertronix. I’ll try again tonight. Thanks for all the help Samba peeps!
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

My buddy and I both watched your video when you removed the engine, and we both said "He should have labeled those wires...
SeamusBlack32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Coil wired in reverse! Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
SeamusBlack32 wrote:

Thanks for everyone’s response! And thank you to mukluk for this answer. It gave me the confidence to wire it how it was before even though it seemed wrong. We’re back on the road!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: