Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxshov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require? Reply with quote

I put new new dual carbs on my 71 bay. No port for the brake booster is supplied. I'm not drilling and tapping a hole in my manifolds. I want to add a separate vacuum pump. Does anyone know what vacuum psi the brake booster requires?

73 Bay Window
05 Tundra
12 Scion
93 HD Softtail
18 NX 2500
I need a bigger garage.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require? Reply with quote

-18 to 22 in Hg

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
fxshov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require? Reply with quote

thanks

73 Bay Window
05 Tundra
12 Scion
93 HD Softtail
18 NX 2500
I need a bigger garage.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require? Reply with quote

it better be a big vacuum pump to be able to refresh after a couple brakes. Probably will want to add some kind of a reservoir to keep the pump from being over whelmed. Worst case is you would run out of vacuum coming down a grade or stop and go traffic. For you probably not a problem. For your wife - mmmmm? Only need to tap one side.
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require? Reply with quote

Turbo Volvo electric pump circa 2007 should be big enough. You will also need a pressure switch to activate the pump. And a relay. And a fuse, A reservoir might be an idea as well if not tapping into the manifold/s.

I have had duals for years and tapped the manifold. Never had a problem with the booster loosing power.

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require? Reply with quote

I have a ‘71 with dual Kaddies. I run the booster off a tee in the balance tube. It works great. I urge you to reconsider. Tapping the manifold would be the simpler and therefore least likely to fail option. Either way, best of luck to you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require? Reply with quote

none... How sensitive do you want your brakes?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxshov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require? Reply with quote

currently running it without. Kinda reminds me of driving all the old trucks Ive driven. So, anything is an improvement..

73 Bay Window
05 Tundra
12 Scion
93 HD Softtail
18 NX 2500
I need a bigger garage.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require? Reply with quote

Many diesel automobiles had electric vacuum pumps for their brakes. Personally I would do as others suggested and just tap the manifolds or tie into the balance tube.
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Many diesel automobiles had electric vacuum pumps for their brakes. Personally I would do as others suggested and just tap the manifolds or tie into the balance tube.

I'm putting a single Dell on my '71 Bus and went through this in my mind and here is what I came back with.

Purchase extra crap...
Mount extra crap...
Wire in extra crap...
Maintain extra crap...

or

Drill & Tap some aluminum...

I'm going with the latter.

Good luck in whatever you chose and if you do go the pump route, please document and post the pieces you use and the process for mounting it and getting to work, I'd be interested in seeing that.
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)

Last edited by camit34 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require? Reply with quote

That's about how I feel about adding a Vac Pump to my 71 Bus! I drilled holes in both the #1 and the #3 but realized they may not like sharing Thought about Check valving them both before connecting together. Wound up plugging #1.
It actually works really well on just #3.
Cheap end castings may be a problem, drilling mine I found they were very thin and the aluminum internal structure is crystallized pretty course, not real strong. They did thread ok but I used J-B Weld to seal the threads. It was a good decision.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Danwvw on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
That's about how I feel about adding a Vac Pump to my 71 Bus! I drilled holes in both the #1 and the #3 but realized they may not like sharing Thought about Check valving them both before connecting together. Wound up plugging #1.
It actually works really will on just #3.
Cheap end castings may be a problem, drilling mine I found they were very thin and the aluminum internal structure is crystallized pretty course, not real strong. They did thread ok but I used J-B Weld to seal the threads. It was a good decision.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just use a welder to build up a thick area where you can drill and tap.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What vacuum psi pressure does a brake booster require? Reply with quote

tying the two sides together is commonly called a balance tube. Helps smooth out things. One can put a tee in it for the booster too if one has a balance tube.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: