Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

I was in a similar situation as you. Only heat was helping. Use a heat gun and heat from the top directly into the wheel center. It should pop off in a few seconds, if enough heat is present. Please be careful and make sure the steering nut is on the threads, so that the wheel is not going anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Z wrote:

I'm currently using a 40 year old can of 'Knock Er Loose' left in my garage by the previous owner and it is like magic.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The Kitchen "Dark Side" kicked in, and I got a good chukle out of "Knock Er Loose" Embarassed Twisted Evil Just imagine the pic on the lable......... Wink Embarassed Shocked

Good to see you back at it, these projects take a good bit of time, keep Mom & the kids happy & your good to play in the Garage in YOUR "Spare Time"...

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Knock er Loose still sold. Never tried her.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

I cut two new washers. I'm cranking on it pretty hard with the breaker bar:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've tried spraying this penetrant at the top and underneath, and have heated the nut until the penetrant has heated up and undoubtedly shortened my lifespan:

No success yet. I also whack on the top of the puller with a hammer every so often. I'm a little hesitant to crank too much harder on the breaker bar. Is that wise or chicken?

The nut doesn't have a lot of available thread. It seems like a fine line between not having a lot of wiggle room for the wheel to release, and having very few threads holding that nut on while I crank on the breaker bar or bang it with a hammer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Heat the hub of the wheel. At some point of too much force the nut will compress and expand the shaft tube as well as smish the threads. I've see some pretty thrashed keyed shafts repaired to safe conditions though.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

I never tried heating anything for removal with a heat gun. Think it gets hot enough? Seems like it would heat everything more evenly, instead of heating/expanding JUST a nut or shaft, etc.

Got a propane torch, ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

I would guess that if the hub is getting hot enough to bubble the penetrant, it is getting hot enough to expand the hub, which is what you are after. The only reason I didn't recommend flame as that it will likely ruin the wheel. IF you don't need to keep the wheel (it doesn't look that great) you may be able to use flame.

I also wonder if some whacks with a hammer and drift from the underside of the hub may help loosen that sucker, especially while there is tension on the puller from above.

The nut only needs to be backed off a little bit to allow room for the wheel to release. As I mentioned, when it goes, it will likely go with a BANG.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

All week I cranked on the puller with the breaker bar, sprayed more penetrant, and applied heat. Nothing budged. I cranked so hard I worried something would explode. Friday I texted my friend Bill to ask if he'd look at my shoulder in case I was missing something like a woodruff key or something else that was keeping the wheel on. He said he could come by Saturday morning.

In preparation for his visit, I took the puller off, so he could watch the whole process; loosening the nut, spraying the penetrant, attaching the puller, etc... just to see if I had missed something.

Bill came over this morning and as he walked over to look at the wheel I closed the garage door. When I walked back across the garage he had the wheel free in his hands. All we can figure is that like someone loosening the lid on the pickle jar, and then next person opening it, he was just at the right place at the right time. He confirmed I was setting the puller up right. Go figure. Problem solved.

I do have two questions about reusing this wheel:
1. In removing the cancelling ring i broke not one but two screws. Any tips? Use a tiny screw to drill these out? Do they make taps that small?

2. I'd like to try to patch up the wheel a bit with some epoxy putty. My biggest concern is the part of the wheel around the horn where some large pieces have broken off.:
I'm wondering if anyone has had success reusing broken off parts like these, and if so, if they reattached them by means other than epoxy putty (which doesn't really seem like it's intended to be an adhesive). Here you can see the two pieces in place:

At any rate, thanks to everyone for all the helpful suggestions that resulted in getting the wheel off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

heres how you fix that wheel...you buy a better one

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2147987

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2205915

the time you will have invested into your original wheel is not worth it.

time MUCH better spent elsewhere on the project. Wink
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Hi Sled,
Thanks for the undoubtedly good advice.
Doesn't it look like my wheel was originally white? This is the backside that hasn't been painted Batman black by teenagers (unlike most other surfaces of my bus):

Should a 1961 standard bus wheel be black? My steering wheel tube is white, too. Is that a clue?
It's not like I'm planning to restore it for the Palm Beach Concours, I'm just curious.
Scott
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

White column = white wheel
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:

1. In removing the cancelling ring i broke not one but two screws. Any tips? Use a tiny screw to drill these out? Do they make taps that small?

There are tiny drill bits you can follow with a tiny easy out. Also search for tiny reverse cut drill bits. Usually they will bring out the broken piece.

Longmont1302 wrote:

2. I'd like to try to patch up the wheel a bit with some epoxy putty. My biggest concern is the part of the wheel around the horn where some large pieces have broken off...I'm wondering if anyone has had success reusing broken off parts like these, and if so, if they reattached them by means other than epoxy putty (which doesn't really seem like it's intended to be an adhesive).

Your plastic pieces are mostly cosmetic so paste and sculpt away. Inside the plastic is a metal skeleton that is the actual strength. You can only make it better and you will feel good that you did it yourself. Those broken off pieces have a tiny bit of tension against them when you snap in the horn button. Epoxy is a good glue.
Culito

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

I've been through your exact steering wheel pulling frustration. I had my buddy build this badass thing:

I've pulled two stubborn wheels without issues. Basically it's a piece of steel tubing that fits around the column, and I use it in conjunction with my harmonic balancer puller.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Thanks, Everett. So it's not a Standard/Deluxe difference, but some buses simply have white wheels and steering tubes? This chart doesn't mention it: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
I've been through your exact steering wheel pulling frustration. I had my buddy build this badass thing:

I've pulled two stubborn wheels without issues. Basically it's a piece of steel tubing that fits around the column, and I use it in conjunction with my harmonic balancer puller.

That’s bad ass. I would have loved to use that today on mine.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

You can only make it better and you will feel good that you did it yourself.
Thanks. Sometimes it helps to have a small win, and even if I'm not 100% delighted with the results, you're right: I can't make it any worse.This might also offer a chance to have a success with a reverse drill bit (which has eluded me so far).
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Thanks, Everett. So it's not a Standard/Deluxe difference, but some buses simply have white wheels and steering tubes? This chart doesn't mention it: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

It is a Kombi/Standard/Deluxe thing but also a year-to-year thing

Earlier Standards, like the Green/Green Buses, have black wheels
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Thanks again, Everett.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

I made some headway on front floor removal.

As noted by others, I am having a lot more success using vise grips to wiggle the welds loose than using a spot weld remover bit. I found myself feeling sorry for anyone who has to remove a floor in one piece. That would be a drag. I was surprised that both the clutch and brake pedal nuts came off without a fuss. Today is a good day.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Does that pattern extend to shift knob color, too? The wheel and column are clearly white in our 1961 Mouse Grey Standard, but the shift knob is long gone. Should I look for a 10 mm white/grey/ivory one?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: