Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

I made some progress today. I cut out some of the old A pillar. Here's the "before" photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Here are some "after" pictures:

Now it's much easier to visualize how the three KlassicFab lower A pillar pieces fit together. It kind of makes sense. In this video I'm holding them below where they go, but maybe it helps to see them in action:

https://youtu.be/eP-zNo_YwcU

The original inside "mystery piece" isn't so bad by my standards. Even though I have the replacement piece I haven't fully decided if I will replace it, in part because I don't yet know what's involved in cutting it out of there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

I've been moving forward slowly, but have neglected to share photos. Today I received a private message from chrismredsox1 who, it turns out, spent many summers at the camp where our bus lived its first life. Chris reports that he taught himself to drive stick in this bus, and it "basically started [his] love for vintage vws..." How cool is that? His message inspired me to get caught up here.

I'm working towards installing the three pieces of the Klassic Fab KF13 – the "lower A pillar repair section below first hinge." I think I'm going about this differently than others in that I'm coming at this from the inside of the bus instead of the outside.

In the photo below, the steel behind the screwdriver is two layers thick, and the layers are spot welded together. Question: is the outermost layer (which faces the back of the bus) called a "lower inner valance"?

At first I thought I'd separating the two layers (seen below) without destroying the outside layer.

Below you can see my first few of several attempts to remove some spot welds to separate the layers. At some point I decided this was futile. The inside layer is one of the pieces I planned to replace anyway, so I decided to cut the outside layer away too, and replace it with a patch later.

When I cut these pieces out I left maybe a 1/2" of double steel inside, then pried this inner portion out of there; the idea is that the KF replacement piece will slide inside the old steel, facilitating some plug welds rather than butt welds.

Here you can see some of that inside double layer coming off:

This bottom piece came off pretty easily thanks to a seam buster, although I think mine's in need of sharpening now:

It's a little tough to see, but there's still two layers at the very top here:

So I bent the outer piece up (so I could get behind it) with the idea that I could bend it back down and butt weld a replacement patch to it later. Here's what it looks like bent up:

Then I had to get the last bit of the inner piece out. Oddly enough, the top edge wasn't welded in place. Should it be? Here's the removal from one angle:

...and another angle:

And here's that piece, once out, along side the new piece that will replace it (again, note the lack of spot weld marks):

Here's another shot that shows me chipping away at that inner part of the double layer:

And here's the replacement piece partially snugged into place:

Here's what I'm thinking some of my next steps will be:

- Remove rust (and green stuff) from all surfaces I plan to weld (clearly some surfaces can't be reached).
- Punch out some holes in the replacement piece for plug welds.
- Somehow coat the steel that will not be reachable once welding begins. I'm thinking I'll brush some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Platinum as it supposedly adheres to both bare and rusty metal. (I know some folks spray high-zinc weld thru primer on things like this, but I thought welding zinc was a bad idea, fumes-wise).
- Friction-fit the piece into place, then maybe use some sheet metal screws to hold it snug while welding. That said, I think I'm still a long way from turning the welder on as I want to triple check that everything's in the right place the first time.

Any suggestions or encouragement welcome – I'd especially like to find some photos or video of someone doing a similar replacement approach.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Excellent dissection.
I did this same thing for both sides of my bus (thread somewhere) but I didn't document in as much detail.

I think you're on the right path.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:
(I know some folks spray high-zinc weld thru primer on things like this, but I thought welding zinc was a bad idea, fumes-wise).

That is why one should wear a half mask PPE with filter/s for zinc fumes. Check with your local welding supply shop for such that will fit under your welding mask/helmet.
Personally got one so I can weld galvanized pipes from old trampolines to make a chicken run that is perfectly predator proof.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Excellent dissection.
I did this same thing for both sides of my bus (thread somewhere) but I didn't document in as much detail.

I think you're on the right path.

Thanks, Culito. I'm revisiting your fine "64 mouse gray /pearl white rustbucket" thread and seeing some similarities there. I'll study this some more!
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
That is why one should wear a half mask PPE with filter/s for zinc fumes.
I'm sure that's a good idea all around, thanks. That said, what would you apply in a situation like mine where there's both rust and bare steel?
Eric&Barb wrote:
Personally got one so I can weld galvanized pipes from old trampolines to make a chicken run that is perfectly predator proof.
A chicken run made from old trampolines? Man, that sounds like a cartoon waiting to happen!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:
I'm sure that's a good idea all around, thanks. That said, what would you apply in a situation like mine where there's both rust and bare steel?

Dust is dust, and fumes are fumes. There has been an increase in older folks having more lung problems, it all adds up over time....

https://www.webmd.com/lung/copd/what-causes-copd#1

Quote:
Pollution and fumes: You can get COPD from air pollution. Breathing in chemical fumes, dust, or toxic substances at work can also cause it.

Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Thanks again Eric&Barb. If I was unclear, I appreciated your suggestion and will look into better lung protection. What I was asking was this: Once wearing proper protection, what you would spray in a situation like mine where you’re trying to slow rust while covering both rusty steel and bare metal?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:
Thanks again Eric&Barb. If I was unclear, I appreciated your suggestion and will look into better lung protection. What I was asking was this: Once wearing proper protection, what you would spray in a situation like mine where you’re trying to slow rust while covering both rusty steel and bare metal?

Not a big believer of just covering rusty steel, and from what we have heard the rust converter needs most of the rust removed to to really work correctly all the way down to the steel.

As for areas you take down to bare metal when getting rid of rust or that shipping primer that the new sheet metal comes in, would use the zinc weld thru primer and the epoxy cold galvanizing primer that AirGas welding supply shops can sell to you. Any galvanizing or zinc primer needs to be coated right on the bare steel to cause a electrical connection to protect the steel in the long run. Make sure any zinc/galvanizing has at least 85% zinc content or you are wasting your $$. The AirGas flat grey cold galvanizing spray is 97%.

Went from watching the chips in the really badly done DPO paint on the nose of our 1960 walk thru panel camper conversion. The usual cheap primer had been sanded down so much and so smooth the paint could not get a good grip on. Most of the paint could be taken off with a dull butter knife with utter ease. Each time another rock hit struck the nose, we could watch the chipped spot noticeably turn into a bigger and bigger rust spot over just a few weeks. Did a quick and dirty sanding down of the nose over a warm weekend, to find quite a lot of areas of were bare of even primer from the DPO sanding. Removed all the rust, sanded off all the crummy primer to bare metal. Then applied the cold galvanizing primer and two coats of cheap grey spray paint cans. Now about 25 years and hundreds of thousands of miles later the nose shows only a few rust spots from rock chips that do not noticeably widen over just a few weeks. While the lower corners are starting to rust out from the inside, and the cheap grey paint is now getting very thin.

Got a lot of rust in the lower parts of the 1960 panel and our 1962 SO-34 Westie. Thinking of trying spraying over days into hard to reach areas with citric acid to remove rust. Setting up an electric pump and spray wand to get into those areas with the citric acid. Rinse out the citric acid with water, blow out and dry with exhaust from a vaccum, followed with phosphoric acid metal prep. Then spray in a cold galvanizing.
Busbodger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:
Busbodger wrote:
Just read the whole thread. Great project and you look like you are having fun.
Thanks for reading and sharing your advice, Busbodger. Similar to you, I'm using 75/25 gas and .24 wire, and I do look at the chart, but I think I need to experiment more with the stick out distance. Thanks, too for the link to mig-welding.co.uk, which I hadn't yet discovered on my own.
Busbodger wrote:
Grinding your welds: someone up thread said it already: grind with the edge of a thin cutoff wheel. Removes excess weld without making alot of heat.
Thanks for reminding me on this, too. I tend to think one disc for grinding, and another for cutting, but I know more experienced folks get a lot of mileage with just the cutoff wheel.

Really enjoying your thread!
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Thanks Eric&Barb (An Busbodger). Among my challenges is deciding where I am in the continuum between a full proper restoration and simply patching the minimal holes necessary to someday drive my bus, something I’ve yet to do.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:
Thanks Eric&Barb (An Busbodger). Among my challenges is deciding where I am in the continuum between a full proper restoration and simply patching the minimal holes necessary to someday drive my bus, something I’ve yet to do.

Totally understand that!

Knew someone back in the 1990s that restored their bus. The passenger door had a dent in the center that he fixed, but did not get all the rust out of the inside of the door. About three years later that area rusted out. Bummer being that his bus looked so nice, except for that rust spot.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

I made some small progress on our bus in the last few weeks. I hope that sharing my first attempts inspires others to begin welding, too.
I'm working my way towards some A-pilar patches, but first things first. Sometime back I cut out the remaining rot in this area, leaving me with this triangle to replace:
I used a piece of cardboard to determine the exact size of my patch. I first pressed it against the trianglular hole, leaving a mark of its outline on the cardboard, then cut out the result. After some fine-tuning, the cardboard template fit well:
Then I used the cardboard as a guide when cutting out piece of 19 guage sheet steel. Here I started tacking it in:
Then I added a few more welds, ground some down, and repeated the process several times. After I got it mostly roughed-in, I ended up burning through a bit on the bottom corner, so I cut that piece out:
...and made a patch with a 90 degree angle in it (which I bent in a vise):
So I tacked THAT in, and continued alternating between grinding down welds and making a few more tacks at a time. Here's what it looks like today:
The surface is still a bit uneven. While I could keep grinding at it, I hesitate to take off a lot of metal. It could certainly be filled in with a little bondo. Or I could add some more welds, trying to fill in the low spots. I'm not sure when to stop messing with this and tackle the next step - welding in some green replacement pieces (seen above) - that I still find a bit intimidating.

Happy new year, friends.
Culito

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Nice work with the CAD (cardboard aided design)!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Ha! Thanks, Culito.
Today I experiemented with this vise press metal brake:

I tried to create the inside piece that fits on top of this Gerson piece:

Here's what I came up with:
It may not be 100% perfect yet, but it sure seems like it's possible to create the perfect piece this way: I just need a bit more practice.
Metal is so much more forgiving then wood. When I get the angle wrong, I can bend it back a bit. When I cut it too short, I can weld a piece back on. Who knew?

Happy new year!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Love this. Love the vice brake too.
Longmont1302 wrote:

Metal is so much more forgiving then wood. When I get the angle wrong, I can bend it back a bit. When I cut it too short, I can weld a piece back on. Who knew?

Happy new year!

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

I mentioned earlier in this thread that our bus lived its first life on a children's camp where my dad works as a general handyman every summer. My dad was born in 1938, so the fact that he's still able to remodel cabin bathrooms (as well as work on his own American cars) is pretty impressive. He's not big on technology, however. If it wasn't for eBay he would never have touched a computer. He's had a flip phone since 2012, but I've never seen him use it. At one point someone showed him how to take photos with it, but he never figured how to get them off the phone, so he stopped doing that.

Today my stepmom was looking at his phone and discovered the following photo he must have taken of our bus. This had to be sometime between 2012 and when the bus was painted the black as it appeared when we dragged it across the country in April 2017.

Earlier in this thread I shared some black and white photos of the bus painted in completely different faux-hippy livery, circa 1996, but this is the first I've ever seen anything like this.

This surprise photo totally made my day. I hope it puts a smile on your face, too. Now I'm back to the garage, using some Clecos for the first time.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:
I mentioned earlier in this thread that our bus lived its first life on a children's camp where my dad works as a general handyman every summer. My dad was born in 1938, so the fact that he's still able to remodel cabin bathrooms (as well as work on his own American cars) is pretty impressive. He's not big on technology, however. If it wasn't for eBay he would never have touched a computer. He's had a flip phone since 2012, but I've never seen him use it. At one point someone showed him how to take photos with it, but he never figured how to get them off the phone, so he stopped doing that.

Today my stepmom was looking at his phone and discovered the following photo he must have taken of our bus. This had to be sometime between 2012 and when the bus was painted the black as it appeared when we dragged it across the country in April 2017.

Earlier in this thread I shared some black and white photos of the bus painted in completely different faux-hippy livery, circa 1996, but this is the first I've ever seen anything like this.

This surprise photo totally made my day. I hope it puts a smile on your face, too. Now I'm back to the garage, using some Clecos for the first time.

Some nice art work there
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:
Its fun to see just a few of the smiles this bus provided for kids over its decades of service. More smiles are to come.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Forest Find 1961 Mouse Grey 11-Window Standard Reply with quote

We’ve already had a foot of snow today. In addition to being a little chilly in the garage, I can’t open the overhead door to let the fumes out without having snow blow in, so I’ll catch up on posting photos instead.

As I’m preparing to seal up the lower inner valance, I sprayed some internal frame coating inside and punched some holes in both the nice new patch and the old steel for plug welds:

While I’ve previously welded in some small patch pieces I’ve made, this is the first Klassic Fab piece I’ve welded onto the bus, and it feels like forward progress:

I’ve still got a bit more work to do to clean up/finish these welds, but I’m already thinking about the next step: making a piece to replace the section of what I think is called the outer valance. Here’s my cereal box template:

Ah, to heck with the snow. After shoveling I'm going to get started cutting out and bending that patch piece. Just like a glacier: slow, but steadily moving forward.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: