Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time for new exhaust need help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

My 1835 baja needs a new exhaust. I’m about to change the dual Kadrons to dual 40 HPMXs too! For all I know the rest of the engine is stock. I had a 1-5/8” bugpack quiet pack bobcat type ceramic exhaust.

I’m wondering if i need 1-5/8”? Prices are about the same either way. I’m thinking about going with a 1-1/2 this time. Maybe a sidewinder style. I think ill try the Tri-mill brand as well.

What do you guys think? What works for my combo? I can’t make up my mind. Maybe just a raw stinger type for now to try out a 1-1/2?
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

I have 1 5/8 u bend on mine with a 12in glass pack type muffler, 1 5/8 is actually to big for an 1835 but my car doesn't seem to care. You might get a little more torque from a 1 3/8 exhaust.
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

There are calculations available that are designed for optimum performance based on a book by A. Graham Bell called Performance Tuning in Theory and Practice, Four Strokes.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/header_length.php

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

What happened to the ceramic coated?
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

It's getting pretty rough. rusty, flakey coating and the muffler has rubbed a hole in itself. Oh and there was a spot I had to weld a patch onto because it was starting to rust through.
It's actually surprising these exhausts last as long as they do. I think I'll try the 1-1/2". I've got enough going on with having to jet these HPMX's let alone reading up on engine calculations. Ordinarily I'd be interested but I just want it up and running at this point. I don't have a lot of time to study before I make a decision. Just thought I'd see what people thought since it's not an uncommon setup. Basically a 1600 DP with an 1835 jug kit and duals. whoopie!

Thanks to everyone who gave me input. Gonna order tomorrow morning. I'm planning on this being my DD again this summer. I need some fun in my life.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

1.5" is PLENTY.

I've run my 1835 with 1.5" headers for decades. I won a championship with an 1835 with 1.5" TriMil Bobcat headers as you see in my avatar.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

Thanks Richard. The vendor near me sells the Empi equivalent of the Tri-Mill bobcat and I think I'll get that for now due to availability. Eventually I'd like to get a Tri-Mill though. probably from Moore Parts. It's been awhile since I heard a VW without a muffler of some sort. Wonder if I'll be ok in the city?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

Downturn collector with a 2" Thrush Turbo muffler. Sounds great but quiet enough to not bother the neighbors or get cop attention. And only costs like $30 most anywhere. Makes more power than a quiet pack too. DON'T get a "Super Turbo". They have fiberglass packing that doesn't last long and they sound crappy.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Benjamingvsu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

I'm also exhaust shopping - how do you attach the muffler to the downturn collector - weld it on? Does it need any support?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

Open and pointed away from me. It's only noisy when you put your foot in it. Twisted Evil
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

Benjamingvsu wrote:
I'm also exhaust shopping - how do you attach the muffler to the downturn collector - weld it on? Does it need any support?

I welded mine on and it has a support that shares a bolt for my tail light.

Benjamingvsu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

I've also been looking at this style- can you tell me how far it is from the top edge of the bend before the end of the exhaust to the top edge of the pipe it crosses over - trying to figure out if it will fit with where my bumper tubes are.

cbeck wrote:
Open and pointed away from me. It's only noisy when you put your foot in it. Twisted Evil
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

I will check tomorrow.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

Benjamingvsu wrote:

I welded the one on fro my buggy. but it could be clamped, or slit with a slightly bigger round hole at the end of the slit, then clamped.

Then it DOES need a support. The "Turbo" muffler is quite light weight. In fact a hell of a lot lighter than a Dynomax, Flowmaster, or any other "chambered" muffler. But I used a piece of 1/16 sheet to fit the muffler, welded that on, then a piece of 1/2" tube to a section of 1/16" wall exhaust tube to hold it to the bumper cage with a pair of hose clamps. You can use like 1/8" x 1" steel strap stock. You can use a large hose clamp to hold the support to the muffler.

You CAN support it by clamping the muffler to the #2 exhaust primary.

I don't like those sidewinder headers because the ones available these days do not have matched primary tubes so they don't make as much power as the upright style header. I had a sidewinder header by S&S on my '65 Baja back in the 70s which DID have matched length primary tubes. It made GOOD horsepower and good sound.
SoCalBajas Member
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

This is an example of one of mine with a Tri Mill and U bend with a clamped on Empi can. The Empi can comes with a spark arrester but I leave it off and only put it on if I am in an area that requires it. Putting it on even quiets it down more. It is short enough and light enough that I don't bolt it down but clamping it is a little risky as I can loose it, but I want to run open at times. I went U bend because I kept getting exhaust fumes in the back window when I ran straight up bob cat. I prefer straight open exhaust and just love the sound although most people don't want that. The Empi can takes the edge off. I installed a Turbo Muffler on a customers car as Richard suggests and he is in love with it. One thing is that yes a 1.5" is the best choice for an 1835, but if you ever plan on building a bigger motor you could run a 1 5/8" on it for now and get away with it without any real issues although not a perfect size, but would save you from buying another exhaust if you ever build it bigger.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

CUSTOM....1 1/2" "sidewinder w/ equal length tubes & merged collector, from "A-1 Exhaust, in Santa Ana, CA.

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

#2 exhaust tube leaves the port, drops about1.5", and comes 7"out from the head.

The bend between the collector and outlet is 6.5"from top of #2 tube to top of bend. I ended up using purple nail polish to make a timing mark on the bottom of the pulley so my timing lite would lite up a spot I could see the case split. With the hp I think I have(125), I won't miss a few with unequal length tubes.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

mr_bill wrote:

CUSTOM....1 1/2" "sidewinder w/ equal length tubes & merged collector, from "A-1 Exhaust, in Santa Ana, CA.

Now THAT sidewinder looks as though it will work well.

It seems that Chris' header needs the collector tube cut off and re-welded at about 45° back. Your poor new Rustoleum!
SoCalBajas Member
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

have "A-1" exhaust on my 11 car, too.........EXCELLENT items Exclamation Exclamation

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for new exhaust need help Reply with quote

mr_bill wrote:

That's also a good looking header Bill. Do you have skidplate bars under the engine and headers on there?
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: