Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good hitch-mount cargo box?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustyrhodes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

Hey sambas,

Anyone have a recommended hitch mount cargo box? My #1 westy complaint is that I always gotta move my stuff around when I setup and break down camp. I'd like to be able to stash my climbing and backpacking gear in a lockable box.

I have the Burley heavy duty in-bumper hitch.

Ideally it wouldn't be so wide that it blocks the tail lights....

Thanks!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitchmount cargobox? Reply with quote

One with wheels looks nice......

No experience with it or the company, just stumbled upon it literally minutes ago looking for Karmann Ghia hinge covers.......

https://glass-action.com/index.php/products/ghia-products/Luggage-Trailer-c15451044

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitchmount cargobox? Reply with quote

Stay Westy?

https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/uk/products/cycle-carriers/transport-box/
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitchmount cargobox? Reply with quote

I made my own, when I was able with my sheet metal connections, but I also considered this one:

http://www.rolaproducts.com/products/cargo-carriers/PKgfIea%7C3ybp%7CXaiPmrcNBz7ZQmlWAv2
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitchmount cargobox? Reply with quote

I made my own platform out of an inexpensive folding swing-down bike carrier.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It clears the hatch on both our vans.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?

Last edited by Zeitgeist 13 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

Thule makes a nice roadbox. it's lockable and has lights.
models tilt down or swing to the side.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustyrhodes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

The Westy one looks cool, but it's big bucks! If I didn't already have a hitch mounted bicycle carrier, I might consider it.

The other ones are so big. Was hoping for something maybe half the size. Maybe I should just get an alubox and build a tray...

Thanks everyone
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

see here you go posting a question asking for opinions withouth divulging all of your details or requirements. Boo hoo!

*didn't mention you had a bike rack you wanted to use also.
*didn't mention your definition of reasonable $$
*didn't actually mention how much space your gear takes up.

search Craigslist for hitch carriers and truck boxes.

just make sure you come back and tell us what you actually go with..

dustyrhodes wrote:
The Westy one looks cool, but it's big bucks! If I didn't already have a hitch mounted bicycle carrier, I might consider it.

The other ones are so big. Was hoping for something maybe half the size. Maybe I should just get an alubox and build a tray...

Thanks everyone

dustyrhodes wrote:
Hey sambas,

Anyone have a recommended hitch mount cargo box? My #1 westy complaint is that I always gotta move my stuff around when I setup and break down camp. I'd like to be able to stash my climbing and backpacking gear in a lockable box.

I have the Burley heavy duty in-bumper hitch.

Ideally it wouldn't be so wide that it blocks the tail lights....

Thanks!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

I'd vote you call these people
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/rvs/d/carryboy-hitch-box/6532668651.html
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

*didn't mention you had a bike rack you wanted to use also.

That's not how I interpret it. The Westfalia box linked to mounts to Westfalia's bike rack. Since the OP already has a bike rack, no sense in spending the money on another.

As for the original question, cargo boxes weigh around 50 pounds; get one with a swing-away frame and you're up to around 100 before stashing your stuff inside. I'd get (or make) an aluminum tray and, if you need the security of a box, bolt a locking box to it.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

I would suggest getting just a tray and then a separate box to fit it. Much more versatile. If you need to carry something that's an odd size you won't be limited by the dimentions of the box.

Hans
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

I'm curious about other people's experience here too. Every hitch kit I have seen with a square hitch all say the downward weight rating on a vanagon is only 100 pounds. I was thinking of getting a tray for my trip this summer but decided the weight limits made it useless. Anyone seen a hitch that has a higher-than-100 pound downward rating?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

sphet wrote:
I'm curious about other people's experience here too. Every hitch kit I have seen with a square hitch all say the downward weight rating on a vanagon is only 100 pounds. I was thinking of getting a tray for my trip this summer but decided the weight limits made it useless. Anyone seen a hitch that has a higher-than-100 pound downward rating?

Yes. Burley Motorsports has two hitches. One rated for a tongue weight of 200 lbs the other rated for 350 lbs. RMW also sells similar (maybe the same?) hitches.

GoWesty also offers both a 100 lbs and a 400 lbs tongue weight hitch.
dustyrhodes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

I've had good luck with my burley heavy duty hitch. I've carried a 100lbs motorcycle carrier with a 240lbs bike on it no problem.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

I’ll go ahead and suggest options I’m sure you’ve considered but may want to revisit:

- Put your climbing and backpacking gear in a box in the luggage rack. This keeps weight forward and allows you to use the moto or bike racks in the rear receiver.

- Rooftop box. Similar to the luggage rack box but more space and more $$$

The hitch mounted box has a number of advantages and is the easiest to access but it does block the hatch which would bother me (YMMV).

As for swingaways, this is intriguing:
http://www.kuatracks.com/products/hitch/pivot/

Kuat works with a UT company to make this. That company offers the swingaway in three sizes.

Enjoy.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Kuat works with a UT company to make this. That company offers the swingaway in three sizes.

Which company offers the swingaway in three sizes?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

Which company offers the swingaway in three sizes?

Rakattach...
http://rakattach.com/

I believe Kuat offers the Med. size but I’d recommend confirming with Kuat if you want to buy from them.

I’m trying to figure how to use this product but a Gary Lee style swingaway keeps coming up as a winner.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd strongly consider a hitch platform and a box for your gear with suitable locking arrangement. Somehow when I look at that Thule from the perspective of keeping something safe in it, the Thule screams "I have so much money I sprung for the expensive type box - can you imagine all the expensive gear inside this pricey box??!"

Whereas a solid steel box of welded aluminum diamond plate says "This is a rugged box I made myself and there are a few tools and spares in here, but nothing you'd be able to pawn for much after all the trouble of getting into it. Plus I made this box with my hands, and I can and will kick the living shit out of you for messing with it."

Additionally as noted this is more flexible and if you had a sudden need to leave the van unattended for a couple days you can remove the box and stow it in the van, leaving the empty and bulky platform outside.

Just my two cents.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
"This is a rugged box I made myself and there are a few tools and spares in here, but nothing you'd be able to pawn for much after all the trouble of getting into it. Plus I made this box with my hands, and I can and will kick the living shit out of you for messing with it."

This would be a great bumper sticker for that box.... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Good hitch-mount cargo box? Reply with quote

Laughing
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: