Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

This is before they were match ported to Manifolds

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

waiting for Car to be finished, Building car because I got the Engine. Dyno is not aviable for 2 weeks due to vw drag's.

HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I think my first guess going to be pretty close. 247-258hp

I saw those trailing arms in your gallery. They are badass.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Ron Lummus is making them now for 1k. One inch narrowed.

HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

This same engine at race compression would be more like 275hp-286hp.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

What is "the goal" of this project? Simply to prove it will live on the street? The Der Renn Kafer cars of Shawn Geers, and Rich Dickson come to mind as the baddest N/A street cars to come down the pike. They weren't what most considered street cars either, but ran 10.80's with 280+ on tap. It's great if you do get it to "live" on the street, but don't be surprised if you come across someone with a smaller engine with a little hotter tune have a faster car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

This engine kinda fell into my lap. Grew up racing in the late 80’s. Folts offered me the engine for a steal, so the build started there. Found a ragtop to put it in. Tom Schuh and Folts are both optimistic it will be streetable. I drive about 30 miles a day, no daily commute just running around.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I'd bet Shawn's DRKC car had more than 280hp, easily into the 300+.

[email protected] wrote:
What is "the goal" of this project? Simply to prove it will live on the street? The Der Renn Kafer cars of Shawn Geers, and Rich Dickson come to mind as the baddest N/A street cars to come down the pike. They weren't what most considered street cars either, but ran 10.80's with 280+ on tap. It's great if you do get it to "live" on the street, but don't be surprised if you come across someone with a smaller engine with a little hotter tune have a faster car.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Sorry, meant without a distributor. My friend had fuel injection on his big motor, damn thing would barely get to temp. Took about 15 minutes. I went with IDA’s and wish I would of gone feul injection.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I was trying to leave as many parts on the engine I could that was on the engine when it was in their dragster. The cam and carbs We’re changed. not often you get an engine with as much history as this one has.

Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

It might pay to run the Autocraft oil spray bars in the heads to help with the head temps .Also Porsche piston squirters if it hasn't already got them . It would be worth while to run a quality CHT gauge like a MGL TC-1 . a well set up WI system even NA is also a great way to manage head temps .
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I don't think oil cooling methods in itself or squirters are going to do enough to reduce heat buildup in this particular motor, I have had a hard time using AC cyl. and heads like that keeping them cool. I think running a E85 setup as has been suggested before is the best way to get it on the street. I know it's a PITA and you might have to get rid of the Webers and go FI since it would be hard to keep enough fuel in the bowls among the other issues with E85 use in carbs. The benefits I think would be worth it in the long run and would even allow you to bump CR a bit more. You shouldn't really care about fuel economy anyway with this motor.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.

Last edited by oldschool5er on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

That’s awesome! I’d do it in a heartbeat,what are you doing for a clutch?
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

My hat's off to you! Awesome project and have fun with it!!!

I don't think electrickery works that way
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Folts has been talking with Kennedy, they have a 9” with springs between the material(not in the center) that they say will hold up, its on order now. With a stage 2. Trans will be a 091 with Peloquin diff, no spider gears.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I love this! Your a Automotive Gangsta for give this a try!

Rocker spray and all that the others mentioned is great. But one thing that is important is outside weather. Your in SoCal I'm guessing? Right now in this cool weather, you can get away with all kinds of Air Cooled "No-No's" that would not fly during summer heat.

I think everyone assumes the worst when it comes to aircooled cooling details. They imagine the person driving stop and go 110 degrees. Which is good, but also its just as important for the driver to recognize he can get away with a lot if the air is already cool.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Yes you’re correct, SoCal. Had lots of people in the 80’s say a 2165 with a K8 cam wouldn’t last? Ran 13.0 in 1/4. Drove it 30k a year with no issues.
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I think only way to make the engine run cool is to use E85 fuel, if you are really talking about real street driving, not just short 10-15min runs to at weekends.

My friend is building similar engine, which will be E85 fueled 2919 (90x101.6) but he will be using my billet heads and custom iron cylinders which are fully finned, just to avoid cooling problems.

k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Gonna be well over 270hp I should think, will be epic fun for the couple 1000 miles it lasts on the streets Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 84

Jump to: