Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Who thinks I'm crazy for making this a daily driver?? Built by Tom Schuh (was their back-up engine for dragster in 1997)

Autocraft dry sump case made to be a wet sump
86 x 101.5
Autocraft heads with 50mm x 39mm titanium valves
Venolia Pistons
cc's in head 62
aluminum buttons
FK 89/91 .605 lift intake .582 exhaust
Scat Crank
Carrillo rods
Crank Trigger
Msd 7AL2
9.87 compression
Manton 7/16 tapered pushrods
52 ida's by JAyCee
2" step sidewinder by A1(He has a video of engine running on his instagram)

Going into a 63 rag, being built from ground up, Irs with 091 tranny by folts.

Anyone have a guess on HP at flywheel?

Last edited by King_vw61 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I suppose you can dd almost anything, just depends on what you're willing to put up with. Who knows, it might be OK. Not sure how long Ti valves will last.
Sure is purdy.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Have you talked to the builder about this idea? Sometimes race engines use parts for power that may not be good for engine life. It is also possible the cooling system is not adequate for driving the distance.
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Big difference in a motor set up to run for seconds to minutes at a time compared with one that must run for hours in various environments...... Doesn't look very daily driver to me......
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

This engine was his idea, Tom has built me both street and race engines over the years. He does a lot of custom things inside and out of the engine to make them last.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

It's a shame to ruin that nice engine to try to make it run on the street. It will burn up in no time. Just look at the fit and lack of tin.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Maybe run it on E85 to reduce heat? Don't know squat about the rest
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

E 85 is an option, waiting for the Dyno results to see, the fan shroud that is in the above picture of the engine has been altered to cover the cylinders more. Running a large race oil cooler with a shrouded 12 inch spal fan
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Howard 111 wrote:
It's a shame to ruin that nice engine to try to make it run on the street. It will burn up in no time. Just look at the fit and lack of tin.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "street" is. You could run it down to In & Out, but you're not going on Drag Week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I really don't see why u couldn't run that on the street, as long as your willing to modify/change whatever it is that makes it not street able. Pretty vague I know, but it's the extent of my knowledge and just thought its cool
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Why not crank trigger and fuel injection? I would put a shroud that covers more.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

It does have a crank trigger. Autocraft engines are set up to where you kind a need to run their shroud, fuel injection was not an option, I wanted to stick with the old-school 48’s. We talk to several people before making the decision for carburetors, did not want to be tied to a tuner, some of them are pretty flaky
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I bet with that cam you could run a little more compression, I don't see any deflectors under the cylinders. I don't see driving it everyday in stop and go traffic, but see no reason it wont work for a fun (and scary fast) weekend toy
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Will it even fit? Wondering how widely spaced those carbs are?
Might need to do some "trimming" to get it in there.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I bet it never makes it past 5000 miles without needing work.

I just don't see the heads lasting in traffic.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

It will fit, we cut out the side shelf’s of the engine bay. Not sure on the apron with the large exhaust. Mike at Autocraft said to run oilers spraying on the rockers if we need to, so it is plumbed for that. New altered shroud covers the barrels now and the deflector tin would not fit with the 10mm studs, there is only 1/16 or less between the barrels.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the heads besides valves, so assuming min cross section is about 86% of the valve diameter (ported), your looking at 247hp - 258hp corrected to sea level.

Compression is low considering the cam.

I agree with some of the others that it's not daily driver material. More like a sporting trip to the cruse night hangout.

When is it going on the dyno?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Going on dyno in 2 weeks. Ports are somewhat stock, use to have 2 spark plugs per Hole
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of the ports? As they say, power is made in the heads.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PumaVW79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
This engine was his idea, Tom has built me both street and race engines over the years. He does a lot of custom things inside and out of the engine to make them last.

So what are you waiting for?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 84

Jump to: