Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

If you're not worried, then I'm not...

Driving with any sort of dog-shift is going to be a noisy affair. Sounds like you dealt with a Pro-ring box before so, you know then...
you MUST shift them quickly at all times.
No easy shifting. BANG in every gear.
Down shifting is an art form.

Hey, if you are OK with all that, then more power to you. I'm here to help with that goal.

I'm old. (officially now)

I "used" to love that sort of thing. Then I realized that my "street car" was really a race car. Tight gears, Spool, solid mounts, Roll cage, no radio, race seat with 5-pt harness, open header, etc...

It's cool and all, but once I found myself with choices to drive (what car will I drive today), It became clear that the Race car quickly was never chosen to take to the store for groceries. I had made it so un-friendly to drive it had very limited uses. It got old real fast.

So, I built a new fast street car with some creature comforts; normal seat belts, full interior, stock seats, quite exh, open diff, etc..
2110cc turbo with mild tune. Still makes 250hp.

I drive that crap out of that car now.. Still runs 11.30's thou.
I just change oil and maybe look at the spark plugs once in a while.

I guess my point is this:
With some careful "de-tuning" a motor can become very street friendly.
Less radical cam, less spring pressure, less lift, Less compression ratio, are all sacrifices that will give the motor longevity in a big way.
You might be surprised as to how much performance "isn't" lost by backing things down a notch.
Might give up 10-20hp, but the motor will last for years instead of hours.

I hate to sit here and be a "nay-sayer".
I want you to succeed.

What you are doing is a very noble thing and worthy cause.
I would love to help you end up with a combo that you can drive more than work on.
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Still love this car! Cool Enjoy the videos and pictures on your IG page.

Karlos in the U.K. Very Happy
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

So we are doing full face plating. Dave wants to know how streetable it is and i'm up for the challenge. Gears are staying the same, This will never be a 11 sec. 1/4 mile car it is just too heavy. The gearing is designed around a high torque engine. 70 on the freeway under 3000 rpm is perfect.

Diff will be here Monday, trans will be together The following day.

I will post pictures of what was damaged then. I will be Locking it up for future Burnouts. Gary said that would of helped. Dave needed the solenoid for duplicating reasons so it was off the car, has been for a few months.
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK - bang on good eye.

HotStreetVw wrote:
jim martin wrote:

Looks to me like you need some suspension tunning.
Slow down you Video and watch what your car is doing.

Jim, what do you think I need to do? 32mm SAW bars, QA1s at full 18 clicks on both R&C. The 1-2 shift takes longer than I’d like but it’s still synchronized. Seems like it unloads the car during the shift, then reloads it.

FYI: this is a huge topic within itself and way to much to type .
I need so much info from weight to rev6 setup and everything in between
As it’s always a complete package together not just a single item needed to
Make it all work . Send me a e-mail with as much info and setup as you can and I’ll
Look over it .
KROC head porting services
Dialedinperformance.com
Airspeedparts.com topic http://airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=914.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Peliquin -yes
Modified syncros on the street- hell no
- if you are bending the syncros you are shifting
Way to fast and hard and need to slow down and go east
Or drop the disc weight.
Rev6 I get it but what about the dual street6
I’d like to know what Ron said about that
KROC head porting services
Dialedinperformance.com
Airspeedparts.com topic http://airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=914.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Is it because of being harder to drive? Shifting over 6k and synchro’s don’t work. Since I shift over 7 I figured the faceplates would help? If not then I will save the $$. Daniel said all the albins and fortin trans are dog ring and some are used on the street.

Once they are welded their is no going back. I will see Dave at 9 today. I can tell him not to do it and it won’t hurt his feelings. He hates the work they take to do anyway.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Heavy discs are a real problem.
I use a CB dual disc. There light weight so fast gear changes aren't an issue.
It's a single disk but the 2 disc surfaces are different materials. The p plate is a stage 2. It's almost smooth on the street. Take off rpm are in the 1500rpm range, so traffic is a bit of a head ache, but it doesn't slip my turbo motor, which is way over 200.9 hp at the wheels. Way over. Lol
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

If anything it's a driver issue, The clutch is a un sprung 228mm and has been great, no slipping. I just need to slow down when shifting over 6k. If im in front of the car im racing there is no reason to shift soo fast.

The new engine Geers is building for me will try a different clutch set-up. That one will be bigger and have a roller cam with more lift, (he thinks .622 is way to small for my heads) We are shooting for 300 to the wheels. This will be 6 months to a year down the road. Marine is a 6 month wait for their crank.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
my turbo motor, which is way over 200.9 hp at the wheels. Way over. Lol

How much does it make (dyno #, no estimate) or how fast has the car been? Unless you have a big plate, I can’t imagine that disc holding back a ton of power.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
Nando_b63 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
I bet it never makes it past 5000 miles without needing work.

I just don't see the heads lasting in traffic.

How many miles do far?

Tks

Almost 3900 miles.

Right on .

Tks
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
If anything it's a driver issue, The clutch is a un sprung 228mm and has been great, no slipping. I just need to slow down when shifting over 6k. If im in front of the car im racing there is no reason to shift soo fast.

The new engine Geers is building for me will try a different clutch set-up. That one will be bigger and have a roller cam with more lift, (he thinks .622 is way to small for my heads) We are shooting for 300 to the wheels. This will be 6 months to a year down the road. Marine is a 6 month wait for their crank.

You had a Scat 86mm?
Marine top but why not do a scat billet flanged?

You doing a 90mm Marine utilizing same autocraft case?

Tks
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Nando_b63 wrote:
ivkings4 wrote:

You had a Scat 86mm?
Didn’t considered going with a scat billet flanged crankshaft?

You doing a 90mm Marine utilizing same autocraft case?

Tks
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Couldn’t hold back the “I told you so” huh. Really all that matters is Robert is enjoying his VW experience whether it’s together and hauling ass or apart and getting upgrades.

Keep on with it Robert.

Did you go forward with the face plating?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I have a scat billet flanged now. Building a better engine so upgrading to a marine. Still will be 86.

No faceplates, talked to fast Jessie. He has them I. His real street class blue Vw and said it’s not bad but when slow it’s hard to get in gear. I don’t want to not enjoy driving it.

We did a Couple upgrades that came out. I will take pictures and post. The gear set is staying the same also. Any changes and it will have a huge drop in 4th.

Are you doing faceplates in your new trans?
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Just don’t let these guys touch it and you’ll be fine. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Yeah I’m going full boogie. I’ve got some parts coming to look at strain gauging the shifter or shift rods. Haltech has a flat shift feature that can cut spark/fuel to kill torque, or modulate them for a reduction in torque enough to get the car out of gear without the clutch.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

RandyV wrote:

Your car was The cleanest in chino. Just not the fastest. Do you still have it? Is that a Barros Pizza Shirt??
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
RandyV wrote:

Your car was The cleanest in chino. Just not the fastest. Do you still have it? Is that a Barros Pizza Shirt??

Indeed....more show than go. Cool (Sold it to buy a house. Last I heard it was in Japan) Crying or Very sad

And yes.....The best wrenching shirt bar none. Heck, if it was clean enough when we got done I probably wore it to work that night....LOL!!! Very Happy
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
I have a scat billet flanged now. Building a better engine so upgrading to a marine. Still will be 86.

Think I screwed the pooch.
I just recently paid for the 86mm scat billet flange.
But for daily/street warrior occasional drive to strip it should hold up?
Were you having issues with the scat crank?
Is the Marine like $3600$

Thanks
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

No issues.

2500 for the marine. Lighter and there is no better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 73 of 84

Jump to: