Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

i'd sent the BrassWorks an inquiry to see if their heater core is the one GoWesty features and sent them the GW link. It is not and got this nice reply very quickly (and on a Sunday!). Looks like a very nice unit.

"We make the core in the United States in Paso Robles California.

We did briefly supply go Westy with heater cores but it looks like they're bringing product in from China or Europe or someplace where they can produce it had a much lower cost and go Westy can make the margin that they need.

The link you provided is not our core

Lee Chamberlain"

http://www.thebrassworks.net/shop/Heater-Cores-Oth..._info.html

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TaylorGrant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

Yes, the BrassWorks product was very nice quality, and provided a much needed stop-gap while the European manufactured cores were unavailable. Unfortunately they were far more expensive, with high volume minimums, and as such not competitive with the Euro part once it became readily available again. We would have loved to stay with the local USA made version, but alas, market economics drive the van. It should be noted that BrassWorks is an exceptional company, run by very nice folks, and they were a pleasure to deal with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

thanks for the input, Taylor. i'm sure you've been happy with the version you sell otherwise you wouldn't sell it! appreciate the info.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

Good to know.

GW's decisions to increase their margins haven't always yielded optimal results. I will be interested to hear of any recent experiences with the European core.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

These units are $200 now. I thought they were 300? Any feedback?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

Seems like a "best buy" to me....... almost $5 less than GoWesty's IF they had any to sell.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

i'm not happy with the heat output of my VanCafe core... wish i'd bought this one.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

Ok cool well I ordered one. I don't think it gets much better than this.

They don't have any 'in stock' right now but they have a batch coming out soon (within 1-2 weeks).
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

I quote my post from a similar recent thread.

Quote:
http://www.motoradsonline.co.uk/products/Volkswage...52d91.html

This is the all metal core that GW imports and sells on their site. I’ve contacted the company inquiring about purchasing one and getting it shipped to the US. They responded stating that it I (or anyone in the USA) would not have to pay the VAT, so it would be £71.80. That, plus the £30 I was quoted to have it shipped to the US brings the total to about £102. At today’s exchange rate, that’s about $130 USD. Much less than what GW is asking.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

The link didn't transfer correctly

All brass and copper not bad - any feedback?

http://www.motoradsonline.co.uk/products/Volkswage...52d91.html
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

I have this unit in my van, I bought it through GW during the brief time it was resold by them. It's super solid, I'm fairly certain it'll outlast the rest of the van.

Plenty of heat.

Robyn
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

The paint does smell a little. I don't think it'll be an issue. Sorry forgot to include a ruler in the photo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i'm not happy with the heat output of my VanCafe core... wish i'd bought this one.

🤔 Mine will chase me out of the van without turning on the blower…how hot do your hoses get?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

Decided to order one of these after reading about heater core troubles from other suppliers. Very solidly built, though mine came with some masking tape on the inlet/outlet that someone forgot to take off. The openings were open making it look like nothing was there, so it could have been pretty easy to overlook when installing. Just something to keep an eye on if buying.

When ordering online, shipping was calculated to be 40 some odd dollars but a phone call to Brassworks brought the shipping down to 18 and some change. (CA to NJ) Mine came with an issue of "classic & Sports car" which was a nice surprise. Excited to put this in, but i'll have to wait for warmer weather.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I also did call in to pay because the website's paypal wasn't working and also their page to enter credit card information was not through HTTPS - and through HTTP. HTTPS means all communications between your browser and the website are encrypted.

So yeah call in.
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

I hope mine arrives soon. It's gonna drop to -15 Celsius soon, -25 with windchill. It'll be a good test scenario for this well built core.
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

It’s coming up on 5 years since this thread was active so there’s probably been a lot of real world testing. Does anyone with a BrassWorks heater core have a report on heat output, performance, durability, etc?

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

I’ve never seen a factory Vanagon core fail. Save your money and put a new windshield in, they get a lot more abuse than a heater core.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
It’s coming up on 5 years since this thread was active so there’s probably been a lot of real world testing. Does anyone with a BrassWorks heater core have a report on heat output, performance, durability, etc?

Sorry I haven't installed mine yet. I bought it preventatively and then heard many people state what Stacy claims.
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: BrassWorks heater core unique and made in USA Reply with quote

I had mine installed for like 7 or 8 years now. Performance has been excellent.

I recently removed it because I installed the SmallCar AC system, and upon inspection its in perfect condition.

Robyn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: