Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

E brake doesn't work with Empi rear disc brakes
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: E brake doesn't work with Empi rear disc brakes Reply with quote

I've tried adjusting them and even with pulling the part on the calipers manually that should engage the e brake it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions or is Empi just garbage?
wv181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: E brake doesn't work with Empi rear disc brakes Reply with quote

I installed these not to long ago and found out I had to switch sides with my calipers. Also had to install an extension piece where the cable enters the pan. See copper tube in the pic. Also using the rims I have had to cut down the length on my lug bolts on the front.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zac181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: E brake doesn't work with Empi rear disc brakes Reply with quote

So you had the physically extend the cable or change the angle on how it was pulling on the calipers?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: E brake doesn't work with Empi rear disc brakes Reply with quote

Zac181 wrote:
So you had the physically extend the cable or change the angle on how it was pulling on the calipers?

It looks like the cables were to long and the pipes acted as a spacer to take up some of the slack.
wv181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: E brake doesn't work with Empi rear disc brakes Reply with quote

Zac181 wrote:

The cable sheath was too short to match up to the pan, so I just extended it about 3". It all works great now.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: E brake doesn't work with Empi rear disc brakes Reply with quote

wv181 wrote:
I installed these not to long ago and found out I had to switch sides with my calipers. Also had to install an extension piece where the cable enters the pan. See copper tube in the pic. Also using the rims I have had to cut down the length on my lug bolts on the front.

This copper pipe hack is sure to kill someone at some point, it's too soft & will likely crush or crack.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wv181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: E brake doesn't work with Empi rear disc brakes Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
wv181 wrote:

This copper pipe hack is sure to kill someone at some point, it's too soft & will likely crush or crack.

Not exactly sure how it will "KILL" someone but whatever. Seems to be fine after a year. If it breaks I'll figure something else out. Something less ominous.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: