Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shifting question “notchy” second
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Shifting question “notchy” second Reply with quote

I’ve read through several threads and not finding the exact issue I’m having. When shifting from 1st to second too quickly I get a quick grind and sometimes from second to third as well. It’s hard to classify it as a grind as it’s just for very quick second. Almost more of an exaggerated click than a grind really. I’ve adjusted the clutch cable, moved the plate around about a hundred times but can’t seem to get rid of this. Now if I shift nice and slow there isn’t an issue 99% of the time. Only when trying to shift quickly.

Don’t remember the year of trans, I did look it up once(64 iirc), it’s not a split case for sure. Has an Empi shifter, but did the same thing with the stock shifter. As mentioned, I’ve adjusted the shifter in every possible direction, going so far as to drive around my neighborhood with a socket, ratchett and hammer to tweak adjustments while I’m puttering around. Am I just trying to shift faster than the trans can handle? First is good, sometimes pops out but I seem to have adjusted that out. Going into fourth is never an issue. It always goes into all the gears. Just isn’t smooth feeling. Trans oil was changed 6 months ago.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Shifting question “notchy” second Reply with quote

Trans could be showing its age... worn fork, rail, slider, hub or synchro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Shifting question “notchy” second Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
Trans could be showing its age... worn fork, rail, slider, hub or synchro.

It wouldnt surpirse me I guess. Trans is in a dune buggy so it hasnt been babied by any means. I always thought syncro issues reared their heads as forcing the car out of that gear? I had a 63 ones that would pop out of 4th all the time until I had it fixed and was told it was the syncro?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Shifting question “notchy” second Reply with quote

An oil change with a friction modifier such as MoS2 molybdenum disulfide might help. Sometimes just new oil does wonders. I went with a nice synthetic in mine and it seemed to help.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Shifting question “notchy” second Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
An oil change with a friction modifier such as MoS2 molybdenum disulfide might help. Sometimes just new oil does wonders. I went with a nice synthetic in mine and it seemed to help.

I did drain and replace the oil a few months back with 80w/90. One of my least favorite jobs ever. Made no difference. I will say I kind of pulled a boneheaded move and realized I only took out the higher up plug and not both. Of course I already had 2 containers of oil already in when I realized. Guess I’ll change it again and make sure to take out both. Did I mention I hate doing that?

You saying something like this:https://www.autobarn.net/lubro-moly-engine-treatment.html?site=google_base&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv73VBRCdARIsAOnG8u2acrADSDaOEGLDi17uvSkisc4A3I9d7qEGaQvik3AhbrU_6KFgMxcaAiT3EALw_wcB
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Shifting question “notchy” second Reply with quote

That’s item # LMY2019 according to their web page about 10 bucks. They sell a nice little pump that screws onto oil containers, makes less mess just go slow good luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: