Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1200 new carb options
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: 1200 new carb options Reply with quote

Hi my daily driver 1972 1200 standard has a lot of miles about 110000 ,
clocked up and the original carb 30 Pict 3 solex German is no longer available. What are the best options available for a new replacement. Singleport on single carb. Thanks.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 new carb options Reply with quote

jarmchairpilot wrote:
Hi my daily driver 1972 1200 standard has a lot of miles about 110000 ,
clocked up and the original carb 30 Pict 3 solex German is no longer available. What are the best options available for a new replacement. Singleport on single carb. Thanks.

the stock carb is usually rebuildable back to new condition, rebuild kits are available. take care to follow instruction in the Official VW Service Manual, the Bentely Book in so far as adjusting float bowl level and accelerator pump volume adjustments when rebuilding. Check your float in a pot of hot water on the stove for leaks, submerge in hot water, just under boiling point and examine for bubbles leaking out. cold water is not effective, the hot water heats up the gasses inside a float, and they expand and leak pit if you have a leak, cold water dont cause the gasses to expand, so you may not see any leak, even if present

So I highly recommend you try a rebuild, it is easy and fun, and satisfying, and you cant beat an original carb!

If you go this route and are unsure of how, please ask for help on the Samba, we are here to assist.

with only 110,000 miles, that carb is still young!

Good Luck, Bug On with Original Equipement!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 new carb options Reply with quote

http://www.volkzbitz.com/prices---contact-info.html

Lists the 30 pict 3 for $199. Might want to call to verify. I’d go through Tim if I were you.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 new carb options Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
http://www.volkzbitz.com/prices---contact-info.html

Lists the 30 pict 3 for $199. Might want to call to verify. I’d go through Tim if I were you.

X2! He ships world wide and his carbs are as good as new when he's done.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 new carb options Reply with quote

I vote you try rebuilding yourself. VWs have a very simple carb. Be certain that you clean all of the orifices and then blow them out with compressed air. You could disassemble and then take the carb down to a repair shop and have them set it in the stew pot for a few hours. They will remove, rinse and blow it out. The shop I worked at offered this service to walk ins. We would grab the ticket and the carb and go clean it.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 new carb options Reply with quote

Tim @ Volkzbitz did my 30pic3 around 60,000 miles ago. I've never serviced it, but I did put a drop of oil on the throttle shafts every year. It looks a little dirty but runs like the day I installed it.

HOWEVER! The idle cutoff solenoids for 30pict3s require a collar with a rubber grommet. You will not get perfect function without both. The idle cutoff solenoids aren't available new, and the collars are even harder to find with good grommets.

Good luck, I wouldn't trade my 30pict3 for anything else.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 new carb options Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the helpfull advice. I got the rebuild kit 2 years ago and it was okay apart from the mixture screw was too small in diameter and would never fit so had to put the old one back in again. The quality of the air bypass screw was poor also, so I took the new o ring seal off it and put it on the old screw. The carb is usable,its the throttle bushing that I am mainly concerned about as I can feel a bit of play there. Its refreshing to be on a forum without haters!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 new carb options Reply with quote

I catch some major flak for saying this, but I stand by my statement that the idle bypass circuit can totally mask leaky throttle shafts up to a certain point. If you can wiggle them in both directions at idle, you need new bushings, but if it only leaks when you hit it with carb spray, a careful “out of Bentley” carb tune will get it just right in no time.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: