Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

Hello Samba Members,

I recognize what I need on the front end to get my diesel up and running with a late-model radiator - Cowl, pigtail, brackets off a donor. But I also recognize the hose needs changing, but then my coolant pipes should probably be changed. The hose diameter is different than later water-cooled vans. I know there are posts out there already about what is needed to switch over the radiator, but I wonder about the specifics beyond just the electrical.

I wonder if anyone who has done this can explain where they stopped and whether I can do this job without a lift. Did they get new coolant pipes? If so which ones? What hoses did they use to hook the radiator up? I am hoping to do this myself, or at least have all the details before I hit a mechanic up.

Thanks for any help.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

The 2 rad hoses are simple enough. The only new front rad hoses have the pipe ends larger for later long pipes but you can get generic rubber sleeves made exactly for the purpose. These let the later hoses fit fine with earlier long pipes. The rad ends of the 2 front stayed the same size for all years.

http://www.van-cafe.com/hose-adapter

edit: you can find hoses for other vehicles that can be cut and made to work without the adapters but I just use the adapters.

Mark
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

When I replaced the entire cooling system on my 1983 diesel a few years ago, I used the following components.

NOTE: as you probably know, the 1982 diesel Vanagon uses slightly different pipes, mainly pertaining to the angles of the final bends where the pipes enter the engine compartment; be sure you consult with the various vendors and/or be aware of any necessary modifications you'll have to make in order to make it all fit.

GeeBee Silicone Hose Set
These are quality hoses, with good construction and fit, though the set did not include one particular hose which I had to fabricate.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1177342

Hose Adapters
crazyvanman mentioned the necessary Van Cafe hose adapters

Coolant Pipes
There are other vendors I'd prefer to purchase these from, but as far as I know, this was the only one offering the unique 1982 diesel pipes:
http://vanagonwestfaliaaccessories.com/

Mounting Brackets
You may find these brackets useful for mounting your pipes, esp. since the new pipes will have a center joint which benefits from the additional reinforcement of these brackets.
http://campwestfalia.com/product/vanagon-coolant-p...w-cpmb-38/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No vehicle lift is needed to do this job, but ramps or jack stands will help. A motorcycle/ATV jack is also helpful to lower/raise the fuel tank to aid R+R of the pipes.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
When I replaced the entire cooling system on my 1983 diesel a few years ago, I used the following components.

NOTE: as you probably know, the 1982 diesel Vanagon uses slightly different pipes, mainly pertaining to the angles of the final bends where the pipes enter the engine compartment; be sure you consult with the various vendors and/or be aware of any necessary modifications you'll have to make in order to make it all fit.

Jeffrey

Which hose did you need to fabricate?

Also - do you have a sense why the pipes differ in the engine bay? Can I put 1983 pipes in with these hoses? I'll have to check the book.

What did you need the reducer for? Weren't all the hardlines up to 1.5"?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

I wouldn't get new 82 style long pipes, go for the 83+ so they will work better with 83+ diesel engine compartment hoses. The 82 engine compartment hoses are no longer available so replacements will be 83+ type (really 86+ type). I think the best deal on these engine compartment hoses are sold by VanCafe as TIICO hose sets which are really diesel hose sets with an extra small S hose for some gas engines like tiico.

http://www.van-cafe.com/tiico-engine-conversion-hose-kit

If your current 82 long pipes are still ok there is no reason you can't still use them.

Me and my family have owned about 10 1982 diesel vans and I personally upgraded most of them to 83+ radiators.

Mark
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I wouldn't get new 82 style long pipes, go for the 83+ so they will work better
Me and my family have owned about 10 1982 diesel vans and I personally upgraded most of them to 83+ radiators.

Mark

Mark

Did yiu have to enlarge the cross members to get the long pipes through? I'm inclined to just leave the pipes as is and only do the radiator with the 'shims' to match the hosesup. Leave the pipes and engine hoses for some other time-previous owner rebuilt 1.6 and it looks like new engine bay hoses in there. Just trying to deal with overheating on continuous hill climb so the radiator is my focus. Hopefully I can get the scrap parts and do the work myself. Thanks everyone for the input.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

The long pipes came in 2 diameters. If you get the replacements in 1 1/4" then you don't have to open up the crossmember hole.

83+ Diesel vans used the same pipes as vans that came in the US with 1.9 gas engines. These were steel 1 1/4" until mid 85 when they switched to 1 1/2" plastic pipes.

(Vans that came with 2.1 gas engine always had plastic 1 1/2" pipes, but different ones than diesel and US 1.9 vans. The 2.1 pipes don't match up at the engine ends with diesel engine hose positions.)

Mark
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

sphet wrote:
Jeffrey

Which hose did you need to fabricate?

Also - do you have a sense why the pipes differ in the engine bay? Can I put 1983 pipes in with these hoses? I'll have to check the book.

What did you need the reducer for? Weren't all the hardlines up to 1.5"?

The silicone TIICO hose set (made by GeeBee) doesn't include the three-way hose connecting the heater hose/expansion tank/water pump, perhaps because the TIICO installation is routed different from the stock configuration? I fabricated a replacement from various hoses from my FLAPS. Original part #068121081
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As crazyvanman says, the smaller 1.25" pipes will easily fit through the frame members w/o enlarging the holes, but will require the hose adapters to fit the larger-diameter hoses. I agree that if replacing everything, you should skip the unique 1982 pipes, and simply use the available 1983 diesel pipes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

83+ Diesel vans used the same pipes as vans that came in the US with 1.9 gas engines. These were steel 1 1/4" until mid 85 when they switched to 1 1/2" plastic pipes.

Mark - everyone - sorry of I am being obtuse. If the 83+ Diesel's use the same pipes as the 1.9 gas engines, what is the difference between the 1983 pipes and the 1982 diesel pipes? Why are they not listed as 82+ pipes? I'm looking at bus-depot pipes for 83-85 and wondering what the issue is. I get that on the radiator end I need an adapter up to the 1 1/2" for the radiator hoses, but in the engine bay all my hoses are still 1 1/4". Is there an issue with the length of the pipes or am I just making a fuss over nothing?

EDIT: I have now read that where the 1982 pipes come into the engine bay is different and the hoses I have would no longer reach. Also the flare on the pipes would mean my hoses also would not fit. Plus it seems a new hose set would mean my reservoir tanks would need to be upgraded too. It is sounding a lot like just doing the front end of this and leaving the pipes in place is the right move (for now).
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

The 82 pipes have a slightly different bend at the engine end. So they spread apart at the engine while the 83+ pipes stay side by side all the way to the ends. It is a small thing but the different hoses are shaped to match the different pipe positions so you have to fiddle with the hoses when you are mixing versions.

Mark
tortuga480
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:

GeeBee Silicone Hose Set
These are quality hoses, with good construction and fit, though the set did not include one particular hose which I had to fabricate.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1177342

Hose Adapters
crazyvanman mentioned the necessary Van Cafe hose adapters

Coolant Pipes
There are other vendors I'd prefer to purchase these from, but as far as I know, this was the only one offering the unique 1982 diesel pipes:
http://vanagonwestfaliaaccessories.com/

Mounting Brackets
You may find these brackets useful for mounting your pipes, esp. since the new pipes will have a center joint which benefits from the additional reinforcement of these brackets.
http://campwestfalia.com/product/vanagon-coolant-p...w-cpmb-38/

Greetings all sorry to wake up a dead thread but this one is excellent and comes up when searching 1982 Diesel coolant upgrade which is exactly what I am doing.
The upgrades to the '82 Diesel are specific to diesel and 1982 model year so best to keep all this great info one thread.

What would be the ideal complete coolant system upgrade for a 1982 diesel? Upgrade everything to the 83+?
I currently have a AAZ 1.9TD in mine. I did the radiator upgrade to the newer style many years ago (~16?)

The GeeBee Silicone Hose Set only comes in 1-1/2” Diameter (he is not interested in making a 82 version).
One can get a new 1983-85 coolant tank and cap for reasonable @gowesty.
VW Part #: 025121403A

The 83+ style diesel stainless coolant pipes from http://vanagonwestfaliaaccessories.com seem are available in two options
1-1/4” or 1-1/2”.
I am wondering what to do about this. Is it a huge improvement to have 1-1/2' pipes front to back?
Does that affect the water pump or cooling ?
Options are:
A) Weld on an adapter or buy a hose adapter. (link is broken to the vancafe one)
B) Widen the crossmember hole to accommodate the 1-1/2” pipes.
What have you all done? Stick with 1-1/4 pipes and adapt? Cutting the crossbar?

Thanks in advance.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

I installed a radiator from a 1990 van, using the donor brackets, fan + shroud, and wire harness. Later, when I was swapping an AAZ, I bought a new radiator. One of my original pipes sprung a leak so I bought new stainless steel pipes. I also replaced the expansion tank with one from a later model gas van. I'm still using the original rubber hoses, which are in remarkably good condition. Unfortunately, I missed a chance to get a set of the silicone hoses used -- I can't imagine spending close to $700!

I've done everything just using a standard floor jack, and none of it has been much trouble.

Everything works great, but I do have the problem of sourcing hoses. Because of that issue, as others have said it makes sense to use 83+ pipes.

I don't think the larger diameter pipes are worthwhile for the sake of cooling improvement. I'm running the smaller pipes and have more cooling than I need. If I'm parked, my coolant temp needle will eventually reach the middle of the gauge and the fan will kick on. Even in very hot weather, the needle stays around 1/4 as long as I'm moving. In cooler weather, it will drop to near the left side.

So, with a good radiator and 1.25" pipes, the system is fine for an AAZ.
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

Has anyone doing this upgrade found that the stock spare tire is now a tight fit? I now have a skinnier one in there than before so it doesn't rub against the radiator. I need to have another look at what exactly is the issue but it just seems the new rad is longer.
tortuga480
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

sphet wrote:
Has anyone doing this upgrade found that the stock spare tire is now a tight fit? I now have a skinnier one in there than before so it doesn't rub against the radiator. I need to have another look at what exactly is the issue but it just seems the new rad is longer.

Good question
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

Mine is a tight fit. I didn't put it together until now, but I'll bet that's the problem.
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

zuhandenheit wrote:
Mine is a tight fit. I didn't put it together until now, but I'll bet that's the problem.

Glad it isn't something unique to my installation. I wonder if I could put a spacer in there to drop the clamshell enough to put the wider one back in.
tortuga480
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

Just to clarify
the GeeBee Silicone Hose Set silicone hose set is made to match up with the 83.5 to 85 Vanagon Replacement Stainless Steel
http://vanagonwestfaliaaccessories.com/media/captureD50.jpg
from http://vanagonwestfaliaaccessories.com/ ?

Thank you

Edit: Not patch pipes its the complete pipes.
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

What kind of screws can I use to bolt the cowl to the radiator. I got the gowesty radiator upgrade. Putting it in my 82 diesel.
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

Can you not use the same screws from the old fan shroud?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Radiator upgrade Reply with quote

I don’t believe the original 82 diesel shroud attaches to the later radiator out of the box.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: