Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

The 2018 edition of the SW Colorado off-road adventure will be July 27th-29th, beginning in South Fork, focusing on the Creede area!

We'll camp Friday night in the Rio Grande NF outside of South Fork. Saturday morning we'll head north of South Fork via FR 610 or FR 630 towards Pool Table Mountain. There are a number of other forest roads up near Pool Table Mtn that we can loop onto if the condition is good enough. From PTM we'll head west on FR 600 towards Hwy 149 at Wagon Wheel Gap, a bit south-east of Creede. We'll get onto highway 149 there and head NW through the town of Creede, and back SW out of town until we hit the intersection of FR 523. Saturday night's camp spot will be somewhere up FR 523... There are TONS of camping opportunities in that area. Sunday morning will be a lazy roll-out from camp, with maybe a group run up the forest roads due north of the town of Creede.

Right now the route plans are a little tentative... I'll do a shake down run on them once the mud dries up and the roads are open, and will make any final adjustments. This area around Creede has lots of options. But if for some reason my planned area doesn't work out the fallback route will still start out of South Fork, but we'll head south instead of north. That said, I'm feeling pretty good about the Creede route.

To run these roads you'll need a stock height bus, baja bug, buggy, thing, etc., with good tires, and in good mechanical condition. These roads will take us up and down elevations from 7-10K feet, and your rig needs to be able to handle it. Please, don't show up in a VW that isn't ready to take on the challenges of this trip.

And this is a family friendly, dog friendly trip. If you've been to any of our past events then you know the fun that you're in for!

Any route updates will be posted here, along with final meeting locations and times. Hope to see you all in July!

Oh, I almost forgot... This adventure will be the weekend before the Rhythms on the Rio music festival in South Fork. ROTR is an awesome weekend of bluegrass/newgrass/Americana/good music, and last year they offered free admission and camping to anyone in a VW bus. We've been going to ROTR for many years now, and its a great time right on the banks of the Rio Grande. They're also one of the few festivals that allows dogs in the camping area (at least up till last year)! So if you have some extra vacation time consider sticking around the area and take in ROTR!
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

It's on our schedule! Hope to make it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Woohoo! I'm in.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Sounds great Chris, can’t wait!
’65 Deluxe Build
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Hell yea Chris !
Look forward to it again

thx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

I'm down, new engine is humming along nicely ( its a loud one this time, Rich ), and I have a little tent that will do nicely! thanks for hosting again. Creede is a weird little place full of "ol timey " goodness!
IoWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Sounds great.
Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Add another 78 Westy to the list, Im in!!

1978 Dakota Beige Westy
1964 Euro "S" Variant
1972 Tin Top 9 Passenger Deluxe
1978 Honda CT90
1978-ish Chrysler Snorunner
and usually a couple of stragglers...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

OK who is the list Keeper?

Manfred- 1969 ex-adventure wagon
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

I think this thread is the list!

Its great to see all the usual suspects Cool This ought to be fun! I've always really liked the Creede area.

We haven't camped in the bus since late October, but that's going to change this weekend. Very Happy
plankd2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Hi Everybody- Been meaning to check in with other CO bus runners for awhile... Can I give a "soft" RSVP for this? Gotta work on the Mrs. a bit...
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Hey, doesn't this fall on the same weekend as the Bandimere VW Show this year?
Could this event be moved up by one day (to a campout prior on Thursday night, off roading on Friday, camp Friday night again and disperse on Saturday)?
This would let us out-of-staters enjoy both events on one long weekend.
Anyone else like to do both events?
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

plankd2 wrote:
Hi Everybody- Been meaning to check in with other CO bus runners for awhile... Can I give a "soft" RSVP for this? Gotta work on the Mrs. a bit...

It's always a soft RSVP...for me anyways. Everyone is welcome, not that I run this but I went last year, accompanied by my wife and 2 yo, and we had a great time. Other than the hater of non-YETI coolers that I ran into, everyone was welcoming... Rolling Eyes Razz

I'm really wanting to make this trip but it'll be a last minute thing for me.

luvthemvws wrote:
Could this event be moved up by one day (to a campout prior on Thursday night, off roading on Friday, camp Friday night again and disperse on Saturday)?

Hmm, it is... I'll have to account for this if I decide to go to the Bug-In
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

luvthemvws wrote:

There are so many events in this area durning the summer it’s hard not to have a conflicting event the same weekend. Last year we conflicted with the Rhythm on the Rio festival. Weather there are conflicts or not, we really don’t pull very many people from the Denver Metro area to our events.

Personally, I’d like the event to stay on the weekend. Moving it up a day would make it more difficult for my family and I to attend.
’65 Deluxe Build
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Well, it doesn't have to be one or the other.
Those available Friday can begin that morning. The others can meet the first group by the campsite on FR523 by Creede.
A little pre-planning on a few more roads would let some folks drop out on Saturday, while whomever doesn't want to attend Bandimere can keep the adventure going.
Win/Win.
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

luvthemvws wrote:

I didn't realize that this weekend overlapped with Bandimere, but... no. We've done this trip over a normal Friday-to-Sunday weekend for years now, and I don't want to change that. I have work obligations that would make a change difficult, too.

That said, the route on Saturday will pop out on highway 149 between South Fork and Creede, so anyone that wants to drop out there can. And I can give you or anyone else interested the skinny on some awesome looping routes south of highway 160 in South Fork that could be done a day or so before the main meet-up on Friday.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Thanks for keeping the dates as stated.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Dangit, another one I am going to miss.
Still having vision issues even after cataract surgery and now dealing with my older brother's cancer situation, I have not been able to finish up the work on my Syncro.....going on 2 years since I started it but last year was a bust.

Anyone want to come down and finish up the work for me? Need to install the new flywheel, clutch job, reinstall transmission and drive shaft. Hook up linkage (new bushings) and a few hoses for the cooling system that had to wait until the trans was in. Willing to pay $25 hour for maybe 10-12 hours worth of work unless you are more agile then I have become.... Laughing
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

I may be able to send my helper down to ya.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

We are putting this on the calendar. I will hopefully have everything running by then.
Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: