Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
How about September 22-23 like we did back in 2012?

The Durango and Silverton 4th of July fireworks were both cancelled in May. Article I read this afternoon said the San Juan NF needs 5” of rain to be considered safe.

That works for me. The Syncro is nearly done, ready for the road but waiting on some bling parts. Smile
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

That seems like a good call to me. Fremont county is now stage 2 fire ban, its never been implemented this early before..

Just my 2 cents.
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Just my 2 cents.

I'll drop a dime... Sept is probably good for us too.
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
How about September 22-23 like we did back in 2012?

The Durango and Silverton 4th of July fireworks were both cancelled in May. Article I read this afternoon said the San Juan NF needs 5” of rain to be considered safe.

My crew will be back at work. We're headed to the Rythms on the Rio bus camp after this.

I look forward to this event all year! This is stressing me out. I hope we can salvage some sort of a plan for the last week of July.

We've been camping all season without fires. Greenmtnjakes even has a little propane fire pit that we use to gather around on cold nights. What about moving it further north but keeping the same weekend?
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

What are things like north of there up by Buena Vista/Salida or even back where we were last year by Durango?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

busboyjake wrote:
What are things like north of there up by Buena Vista/Salida or even back where we were last year by Durango?

Where we held the trip last year is in the San Juan NF and is currently closed under stage 3 fire restrictions. The #416 fire is actually burning in the Hermosa Creek drainage area which is where we were last year.
’65 Deluxe Build
Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

What if we integrate the cruise with the Rhythms On The Rio...? Maybe start Thursday night (Aug. 2nd) at camp, then Friday find an off road route to the show and arrive a few busses deep? All dirty and stinky, they would love that.
Rumor has it, you show up in a VW Bus and you get VIP "Busses only" camp and weekend admission for free.
Plus, Keller Williams and Jeff Austin...! Yes Please!!
Any thoughts on that? Idea

1978 Dakota Beige Westy
1964 Euro "S" Variant
1972 Tin Top 9 Passenger Deluxe
1978 Honda CT90
1978-ish Chrysler Snorunner
and usually a couple of stragglers...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

The San Juan NF will reopen to the public tomorrow 6/21. The areas around the #416 and Burro fires will still be closed.

Chris is organizing this year’s event and I’m sure he’ll put together a great alternate plan/route if necessary, he always does.

Doesn’t look like we are gonna make Rythem on the Rio. I did not see where admission was free to the event but they do have special pricing and I did see they have special bus camping on the river. We are going to The Ride Festival (another bus themed festival) 2 weeks before and we have The Four Corners Folk Festival 3 weeks after. So busy this summer. Wink

https://rhythmsontherio.com/buses-and-bluegrass/
’65 Deluxe Build
Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Stupid little birds!!! d'oh!

1978 Dakota Beige Westy
1964 Euro "S" Variant
1978 Honda CT90
Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
The San Juan NF will reopen to the public tomorrow 6/21. The areas around the #416 and Burro fires will still be closed.

Chris is organizing this year’s event and I’m sure he’ll put together a great alternate plan/route if necessary, he always does.

I agree, you da man Chris!!

1978 Dakota Beige Westy
1964 Euro "S" Variant
1978 Honda CT90
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

I'm torn on what to do here. Honestly, I think stage 2 fire restrictions are too risky to be leading a group into the woods. And possibly even stage 1? Fortunately we've never had to deal with that with one of these trips in the past. We're still over a month out... The monsoons should come, but its still a gamble. Last year's monsoon was the weakest I've seen in 15+ years of living here.

We can look at moving the spot, but I can't say that I know of anywhere in CO that doesn't have fire restrictions, except maybe way up north around Steamboat. I can't go that far...

Would you guys rather roll the dice on the rains and lifting of the fire restrictions, or reschedule for Sept 22-23 (and hope its better by then)? I guess that is what is it boiling down to.
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

greenmtnjakes wrote:
What if we integrate the cruise with the Rhythms On The Rio...? Maybe start Thursday night (Aug. 2nd) at camp, then Friday find an off road route to the show and arrive a few busses deep? All dirty and stinky, they would love that.
Rumor has it, you show up in a VW Bus and you get VIP "Busses only" camp and weekend admission for free.
Plus, Keller Williams and Jeff Austin...! Yes Please!!
Any thoughts on that? Idea

I was considering this idea too, but with it only being a week out from the scheduled weekend I figured it was just as risky an option as what I already had planned. That said, we are planning to head to ROTR, and assuming the conditions do improve I'd be up for a Thursday night campout and Friday road run. There's a forest road that connects into that big road network I've always led us into on past trips, and pops out literally right across the road from the ROTR venue.

ROTR always has a great lineup! Can't wait to see Keller again!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Just sent the email to ROTR for my discounted tickets. Wink

As far a The Off Road event goes. I say we wait a couple of weeks and see what the weather does. Maybe it’ll rain, maybe it won’t. If it rains, we're on and we camp with each other 2 weekends in a row. If no rain we should change the date, I’m down with the September dates. If no rain at least we’ll have ROTR to campout together in July.
’65 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

I'm good with your decisions on this, your thinking safety first. Thank you.
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

I'm hoping the date stays, and crossing fingers for rain!

My plan was to do this thing, then camp/explore the area until ROTR!

I pretty much built a bus for the event this year, so I'm excited either way.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

What is this ROTR thing like?? I'm getting old and too fond of crowds, I don't need some diggity-dank trying to sell me a nug at 2 am while he's rolling on Moly....
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

I’ve never been but I understand it is a small family oriented grass roots style festival. I was also told the bus camping is not right on top of everyone, it’s a little bit of a walk from the other campers. Here’s the link for the main page.

https://rhythmsontherio.com/#cntctfrm_contact_form
’65 Deluxe Build
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
What is this ROTR thing like?? I'm getting old and too fond of crowds, I don't need some diggity-dank trying to sell me a nug at 2 am while he's rolling on Moly....

I haven't been either, but I'm assuming it's a lot like the meadowgrass scene (family friendly, with adult fun options.) The bus camp would be really cool if we all got together. It would be cool to have you there Manfred!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Seems nice! I may add that to the trip or just do it if we cancel or re-schedule. I would assume there is no real limit to Bus's in the camping area.
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd say ROTR is still a "small" festival, and is probably my favorite of the year. Its family friendly, but no doubt you could find the kid whacked out on whatever... I think that's just the reality of CO these days.

The venue is nice. Large ranch along the Rio Grande, with lots of space, both in the venue area and in the camping area. I've never seen it come close to filling up, although it does get a bit larger each year. I think we've been five or six times over the past 10 years or so. My only complaint is that shade is a bit scarce up near the stage area. (Tip: bring your sun hat!) I'm a wuss when it comes to standing in the sun these days. But there are some big cottonwoods lining the river, especially more back in the camping area, so there is shade to be found. And you can always get in the river. I think you'd enjoy it, Manfred. Nothing like the Tellurides and other big CO festivals.

Last edited by cdollar on Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: