Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Well, we attempted a pre-run of the proposed route last Sunday, and it didn't go too well. Turns out that FR610 heading north out of South Fork along Alder Creek is a 4WD road. The first few miles aren't too bad, but then it gets a lot worse. Not what I'd call passable by a bus.

From there we went up to Creede via the highway and checked out a couple of other forest roads. The one that I thought was most promising dead ended at a trailhead after 10 or so miles. The others really weren't much better. Some cool camping spots, but really not much in the way of driving in the forest.

So, I think my original plan is a bust Sad

The plan B that I've come up with is a partial reboot of the route I did in 2012. Saturday we'll head south from Beaver Reservoir (which is a couple miles west of South Fork, but before you start going up Wolf Creek Pass) towards Crystal Lakes and Grayback Mtn. Then around Summitville to end up camping at the normal Saturday night spot on Elwood Pass. (That particular drive is my favorite in all the South San Juans.) Sunday we'll take a new route that will pop out on the east side of South Fork, across the highway from the ROTR venue.

I apologize for the late changes. Hopefully this won't impact anyone in a bad way, since we'll still start in the South Fork area.

I'll post up shortly with details on all the road numbers and directions to the Friday camp spot.
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Here's the plan B route details.

The Friday night camp spot will be on Park Creek Rd. To get there, from South Fork, head west on Hwy 160 for around 10 miles. The road is on the left (south side of the hwy), and is well marked with a brown sign (well marked from the other direction as well, just past the Park Creek CG turn off). Cross a wooden bridge, and start heading up the road. There are a number of camping spots there along the road... Just look for the buses after a mile or so. I plan to get there before noon on Friday.

Saturday we'll head back to 160 for a couple of miles before turning back south again at Beaver Creek Rd. That road turns into FR360, which we'll take up to the intersection with FR332. From there we'll take FR332 around Crystal Lakes and the front side of Grayback Mtn. At this point we'll be up in some of the prime camping areas, and can move on to FR330 on the back side of Grayback, and further on to FR380 at the top of Elwood Pass if we want. TONS of camping opportunities in this area.

The Sunday plan is to head back to the far eastern end of FR332, where it meets road 14 (the main road we did heading out of Del Norte on the 2016 trip), and follow 14 for a short bit before it intersects with FR345. FR345 runs along Pinos Creek, and we'll follow it for a long way, up until we pop out just across the street from the ROTR ranch/venue.

See you all in a week!
Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Cant wait! Thanks for all your hard work on making this happen, you rock! Applause

1978 Dakota Beige Westy
1964 Euro "S" Variant
1972 Tin Top 9 Passenger Deluxe
1978 Honda CT90
1978-ish Chrysler Snorunner
and usually a couple of stragglers...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

I posted a roll call on the fb page. Post up if you’re on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/events/417206595374532/permalink/485266578568533/

Last edited by busboyjake on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Sounds great Chris, thanks for scouting. Currently I’m planning on heading out Friday after lunch as long as I can get Friday off. If I can’t get the day off, I will not be there till late.

What’s the launch time on Saturday morning and what’s the plan for fuel? Should we come to camp Friday full and ready to go or will there be a gas stop on Saturday morning on our way to Beaver reservoir?

I got 3 cases of beer for us donated by the fine people at Ska Brewing. Big thanks to those guys for looking out for us.

Greg, the ‘69 looks great! Wifey says she wants the emblem on the new bus, sorry buddy.
’65 Deluxe Build
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

As I told Greg on FB, I was nearly ready to go, just a few more things to do but found out Thursday I have to have sinus surgery.....again. It seems that is what is causing the pain around my eyes and effecting my vision at times.
So, next year.

Have a great trip all!

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/3756...e=5BCD14EC
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
What’s the launch time on Saturday morning and what’s the plan for fuel? Should we come to camp Friday full and ready to go or will there be a gas stop on Saturday morning on our way to Beaver reservoir?

What he said... Rolling Eyes

Click to view image (If you have to ask....you don't know... )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Sorry... Must have missed Richie's question.

I'd like to be leaving the camp spot on Park Creek Rd. to head to Beaver around 8:30, which should put us at the dam at Beaver Reservoir a bit before 9am. I wasn't planning to stop long, if at all, at Beaver.

As for fuel, there are a couple of gas stations in South Fork for the folks coming from the east. Or if you're coming over Wolf Creek Pass, there is a small gas station a mile or two before you get to the turn off for Park Creek. That station is a bit more expensive than going all the way to South Fork. My plan is to fuel up in Pagosa and then top off at the small station.

You'll want to fuel up before coming to the camp/meet up spot. There won't be any opportunities for gas once we get started on Saturday.

If anyone has any other questions just post them up. I'll try to do better at answering them Embarassed
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Had a serious flood type rain last night and it has washed out the road to my rental house. I'll have to spend the weekend patching it up. Sadly I'm out.

Enjoy
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Bummer, Manfred. You will be missed. You too, Brian. Next time...

I plan to head out within the hour... See you all soon!
Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

We all may have wished too hard for the monsoons I guess, huh Manfred? Well good luck on the project, and sad to hear your not joining us...you too Brian, hope your surgery goes well.
Just going to be Me, Avery and our 5 MO Puppy Loki. We will be convoying with BusBoyJake and Ryan (handle still unknown), departing the Pikes Peak area around 9.
See ya soon!!

1978 Dakota Beige Westy
1964 Euro "S" Variant
1978 Honda CT90
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

We are on the road. We are gonna stop in Durango for lunch, then out to my inlaws to drop off the dawgs. We’re gonna go to South Fork to fill up and maybe check out the brewery. See you guys in a few hours!
’65 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Wish we were able to join this year!

Enjoy and please share all the pix in all the worlds!

Be safe and have fun everyone!
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

We made it back to Durango, our bus ran great! Awesome event, trip report and pics to follow.

Big thanks to Chris and Laura!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Trip was a blast! I have more photos and will post them when they are taken off the SLR.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

AWesome!!! Thanks for sharing.
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

awesome trip !

Thanks to everyone for showing up ! Good peeps/good times..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Thanks again Chris and Laura, Avery and I had a blast. So did Loki!

1978 Dakota Beige Westy
1964 Euro "S" Variant
1978 Honda CT90
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 SW Colorado Off-Road Adventure, July 27-29 Reply with quote

Shooting to get on the road around 730ish on Saturday for the ROTR. Hoping to get Monday off, so we’ll be camping Saturday and Sunday. Save us a spot at your camp if you can, tanks!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: