Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1982 Diesel to gas conversion help
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel to gas conversion help Reply with quote

The distributor diaphragm has 2 nipples. The outer nipple should not have vacumn at idle. It must be connected to a port "above" the throttle plate. It should see vacuum with throttle open.

The nipple on the inside of the diagram must have vacuum at idle. It needs to be connected to a port below the throttle plate, directly to the intake manifold, or t'd into the brake booster hose. This port retards timing at idle, which lowers engine idle rpm. The nipple on the outside advances timing which would increase idle rpm if it sees vacuum at idle. Sorry I can't be more clear.

Last edited by MarkWard on Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel to gas conversion help Reply with quote

Have you found the engine block ID code? It should help with web searches for info like where timing marks are. But then the PO could've mixed block and head from different engines.

If you suspect the timing is too far advanced, mark off distributor body relative to block, loosen the distributor, retard the timing a little. See what happens with idle.

This PDF may shed some light on where timing marks are on your engine.

http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/AdjustingTheTiming.pdf

If it was me, and i thought the timing was off, since the engine may have other issues, I'd static time the engine. If idle was still too high, at least I'd know its something to do with vacuum leak, carb or whatever and not the timing being too far advanced. To time the engine statically though, you'd need to make sure theres a TDC mark on crank pulley and timing belt cover. I'm assuming the diesel vanagon flywheel and clutch housing don't provide the TDC marks.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: