Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motive Power Bleeder How-to?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
However, when I install new master cylinders, it just doesn't get ALL the air out despite having the pads adjusted tightly to the drums.

Yep, I can vouch for that. I had brakes after using just the pressure bleeder, but a mushy pedal. And that's on *both* of my Supers which suffered MC failures at the same time, so I just ran thru this on both cars.

wcfvw69 wrote:
....When you back off the pad adjustments after getting all the air out, you want to hear only a very slight drag of each pad on the drums. Too tight and you'll heat up the drum and bearing grease.

Yeah, slight drag. I could spin the wheel easily by hand, but I didn't have them so that they roll freely for more than a turn. I have in the past roasted the brake fluid by leaving them too tight.

wcfvw69 wrote:
Also- VERY IMPORTANT- Make sure the adjustments are EQUAL on both adjusters in each drum. You should see the same amount of threads on the adjusters that push the pads against the drums. You want the pads to come out equally as you apply the brakes.

Yep, same clicks back off per star...give or take a click.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

mines a snap-on....it has quick a quick disconnect that'll puke a little when it goes on or off and the cap that screws onto the master is a joke so if it doesnt seal right you have a flood...but what do you want from a $200 garden sprayer...
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

The motive cost me $50 about 3 years ago. Guess I got a good price!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Read my instructions early on in this thread. I recommended to adjust the shoes tight against the drum and to not put fluid into the container to avoid spills all over your paint and an unnecessary clean up.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

74 Thing, not sure if you're addressing me, but I got the Motive bleeder on and off w/out spilling any on my paint.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

vernonc wrote:
I made the modification shown below....it's just a 'swivel fitting'. This allowed me to install and remove the cap without twisting the whole tank.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mort

I’d like to make this modification to my power bleeder, but I’m having trouble finding this swivel fitting.

What are the size specs and where can get one?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
I’d like to make this modification to my power bleeder, but I’m having trouble finding this swivel fitting.

How about a quick connector for an air compressor line?

And for those who want to make their own power bleeder, see what I did somewhere in this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=747133&highlight=1971+volkswagen+convertible
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
vernonc wrote:
I made the modification shown below....it's just a 'swivel fitting'. This allowed me to install and remove the cap without twisting the whole tank.

mort

What are the size specs and where can get one?

That looks like a 3/8” Hydraulic fitting or possible a gas fitting . Might have something like that in the propane barbecue section of local hardware store.
Chadabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

I found this to be the easiest/cheapest 1 man bleeding system they have. These sell on Amazon for around $7-9, it's just an inline one way ball check valve. You put a small 6" piece of clear tubing on one end, and a longer piece on the other side farthest from the bleeder. Get an old 2 liter plastic bottle, place the longer end in there. The short end of course connects to the brake bleeder making sure you have the correct direction of flow. Crack the bleeder, and start pumping. That's it!!.
The ball valve will only allow the fluid to flow one direction, it allows you to pump all the air out, and never let any air back-flow into the system. I have been using this method for over 20yrs, never has failed me
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Chadabear wrote:
I found this to be the easiest/cheapest 1 man bleeding system they have. These sell on Amazon for around $7-9, it's just an inline one way ball check valve. You put a small 6" piece of clear tubing on one end, and a longer piece on the other side farthest from the bleeder. Get an old 2 liter plastic bottle, place the longer end in there. The short end of course connects to the brake bleeder making sure you have the correct direction of flow. Crack the bleeder, and start pumping. That's it!!.
The ball valve will only allow the fluid to flow one direction, it allows you to pump all the air out, and never let any air back-flow into the system. I have been using this method for over 20yrs, never has failed me

Interesting idea.

I assume you flush the check valve with water after your job is finished.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Chadabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Chadabear wrote:

Interesting idea.

I assume you flush the check valve with water after your job is finished.

I blow it out w high pressure air from both sides. i've used the same ones on so many vehicles over the last 15 years, no way could I ever count. But I do know that, this is the most fail proof one man bleed job you will ever come across. you can even use it to gravity bleed the system solo. Hook it up, and let science do it's thing. The only worry with this system, is forgetting to stop and fill the reservoir. But even then, I have done it many times, and fill it up, then go back to pumping pedal until all the air is gone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: