Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swedish Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1953bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Swedish Vanagon Reply with quote

Hello, i am starting a thread about my vanagon -83 that i did buy 6 months ago. The bus have been storaged since 1999 in a varm garage since the camshaft got break thru the hardening.. so my job now is to reassambley the engine.

There will be some upgrades to the engine because i need some moore power. And tourqe.

The bus has about 310000 km on the speedo but it have been well keept after. The interior is in a really good condition.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Swedish vanagoon.. Reply with quote

Welcome.

That looks super-clean. The piping on the driver's seat is still relatively straight. The headlight grill is interesting. I hope it illuminates the moose and reindeer ahead.

Help me out here, folks. The OP says it’s an ‘83 but the washer sprayer placement looks like it’s from a late-model van. Does anyone know why that is? Did only US vans come with the driver's side washer nozzle placed near the wiper pivot? Am I just imagining this?

Looking forward to more!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
1953bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Swedish vanagoon.. Reply with quote

Since its a really late -83bus its one of the last aircooled. The new setup for the engine:
96mm AA flattop pistons and barrels
Eagle mecanical camshaft,
Dual Weber40
Reubild heads with all new parts.
Ofcause new bearings a all of that. The engine was in a good shape exept for cam and worn out heads..

The enogine is right now totally apart but today its going to be put back to its former glory.. atleast the progress rebuilding it starts today.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Swedish vanagoon.. Reply with quote

Beautiful van! Lucky find in such nice shape.

Looking forward to more also..... Popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Swedish vanagoon.. Reply with quote

Very nice one!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Swedish vanagoon.. Reply with quote

Good luck! Looks like you scored a sweet ride!
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Swedish vanagoon.. Reply with quote

Inerior looks like an ’85 Wolfsburg.
caravelle c
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Swedish vanagoon.. Reply with quote

I think it's a early Caravelle GL with 1.9l waterboxer and 78, 84 or 90hp Wink
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Swedish vanagoon.. Reply with quote

Nice van man! Look forward to the rebuild.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Swedish vanagoon.. Reply with quote

Nice, clean van...congrats!

FWIW, I consider myself a bit of a "Vanagoon"... Laughing Wink Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Swedish vanagoon.. Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Help me out here, folks. The OP says it’s an ‘83 but the washer sprayer placement looks like it’s from a late-model van. Does anyone know why that is? Did only US vans come with the driver's side washer nozzle placed near the wiper pivot? Am I just imagining this?

I hate to quote myself, but are there any insights on the location of the driver’s side washer nozzle on this ‘83? That configuration didn’t seem to show up on US Vanagons until 1987.

- Was there some reason VW put it next to the wiper in ‘80 - ‘86 US model years?
- Is the OP’s van actually a later model van?
- Did a PO relocate the washer nozzle?
- Is this a conspiracy to make me question everything that I know to be true?

Thanks for listening.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/1983_vanagon_and_vanagon_camper.php

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Swedish Vanagon Reply with quote

Im really digging the fog lights.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Swedish Vanagon Reply with quote

Nice Caravelle.

Could it have been in an accident and had the front piece replaced? The grille with the large VW badge is also from a later van
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Swedish Vanagon Reply with quote

^^^ Good catch.

Abscate wrote:

1953bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Swedish Vanagon Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
Nice Caravelle.

Could it have been in an accident and had the front piece replaced? The grille with the large VW badge is also from a later van

Exacty, the old wife, the husband passed away, told me that they did hit a dear sometime and the front was repainted... so i have to look for an older grill. Hmm interesting and really good to learn something. I do not really know detaildifferaces on t3 busses.. thanks for that!
The grill with extralights in it is now taken off and the ambition is to get the body back to its orginal. I dont want a watercooled look on a aircooled bus. But i do have some other plans for it and that includes lift springs.
1953bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Swedish Vanagon Reply with quote

Then i have an question for the forummebers, is this extra option for caravelle/ vanagoon?
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Swedish Vanagon Reply with quote

1953bus wrote:
Then i have an question for the forummebers, is this extra option for caravelle/ vanagoon?

It is an optional extra, and quite rare, at least here in Scandinavia.

As for the air cooled look, I think it is great that you maintain that. There are not many air cooled buses with the same level of options as this.

The upholstery and two tone paint that you have is what has later become standard on what is called a Caravelle GL.

However, I think yours is so old that it was only called Caravelle. All the other buses here in Europe was either called "Transporter" (Without seats) or "Bus" (with seats).
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Swedish Vanagon Reply with quote

Don't know if you have seen this: http://www.vwpix.org/T3/Prospekte/deutschland/gros...index.html
1953bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Swedish Vanagon Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
Don't know if you have seen this: http://www.vwpix.org/T3/Prospekte/deutschland/gros...index.html

Nice!!
Yes it has a ”caravelle” emblem on its back! Looking at the chassienumber its made november -82..
i use to work on older volkswagens so this is a new chapter for me.. but it is interesting an i learn a lot here in the vanagoonforum!!! So much usefull information! Iam really happy over this bus and iam looking forward to get it back on the road!
Yesterdays job on the engine was to put the enginecase back together. Today i have fitted all the coolingtin. Its a little bit of a puzzle. But it looks nice after the paintjjob. I did not deassamble the engine and there is some difference from the bayengine.. but iam learning the hard way. Wink
Next step is to mount the cylinders and pistons and heads...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: