Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 (GE) 2.0L engine to replace 77 (GD) 2.0L?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whocanduncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: 78 (GE) 2.0L engine to replace 77 (GD) 2.0L? Reply with quote

The short question:

Can I install a "GE" 2.0L FI motor from a '78 manual into a '77 automatic bus that had a "GD" 2.0L FI motor without any modifications?
---------------------------

The long question:

I acquired a '77 bay with a 2.0L FI with an AUTOMATIC transmission about a year ago. The motor was sitting in the cargo area of the bus so we believe it to be blown.

I recently bought a 2.0L FI motor and STANDARD tranny from a '78 bay. My goal is to simply stab the motor from the '78 into the '77 and sell the tranny. The '78 came complete, including AFM, ECU, Exhaust and wiring.

I've read a few posts regarding the differences of the two engines, GD vs. GE (primarily AFM, Vacuum and Lifters). I also noticed the '77 has a vacuum advance on the distributor whereas the '78 does not. I have a few questions remaining:

What is a Ballast resistor? or is it already on the motor?
What about the O2 sensor? Will I need to adapt one onto the '77 due to the year or automatic transmission?
Should I switch out the distributors (77 --> 7Cool?

Links to referenced posts:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7528641
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=470344&view=next

Numbers from the '78:
Engine: GE036988 2.0L FI
ECU: 043 906 021 V - 0 280 000 105

Numbers from the '77:
Engine: GD044280 2.0L FI
ECU: 022 906 021 T - 0 280 000 151

The '78 "GE" motor is complete so I'm thinking all I need to do is put it in, switch the ECUs and go.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: 78 (GE) 2.0L engine to replace 77 (GD) 2.0L? Reply with quote

I like the way you summarized your question. I'll do the same with the answer Smile

Short (partial) answer

Engine/transmission swap: can't answer this part. I would think you'd be fine doing the full swap, but more experienced folks will give you a better answer.
Distributor: need to know both distributor part numbers to be able to answer
FI system: with your parts, I reckon the easiest thing would be to put together a Federal system, which is probably what you already have anyway.
∘ The ECU that came with the GE engine is a Beetle one, but you can probably use the '77 one you have instead.
∘ In this case, you'll need a resistor pack if you don't already have one.
∘ Check that the AFM has 7 pins.
∘ Check the FI harness to see it matches your FI system.
∘ Get familiar with the FI manual.
∘ You might be better off using the vacuum (and centrifugal) advance distributor from your '77 engine, once the part # is known.

Long (partial) answer

I cannot answer your general question about the swap, but I'm sure some experts will chime in on that.

Since you have all the parts with you, it would help others provide you a better answer if you tell us:

• The distributor part numbers: they are stamped on the distributor body. Generally a 10-digit Bosch part # and a 9-digit plus optional letter VW part #. Either would do.
• Do you have an O2 sensor or a resistor pack (VW part # 022 906 079, more on this below)?
• What's the part number of each of your AFMs? Do they have 6 or 7 pins?
• Not strictly necessary, but a picture of your FI harnesses might be helpful. It can help telling whether they are for a CA or Federal setup. At least the ECU part # of your auto '77 would indicate it's Federal.

To simplify, and in the context of your '77 and '78 engines, there were two FI setups depending on the market's emission requirements:

Federal: air/fuel ratio (AFR) open loop, no O2 sensor. Current-limiting injector resistors (a.k.a. ballast resistors, resistor pack, series resistors). 11-pin double relay. Mechanical ignition.
California: AFR closed loop control, O2 sensor. Resistor current-limiting built into the ECU. 13-pin double relay. Electronic ignition.

whocanduncan wrote:

Numbers from the '78:
Engine: GE036988 2.0L FI
ECU: 043 906 021 V - 0 280 000 105

Before going further, I've noticed that the ECU that came with your GE engine is not a bus ECU. If I'm not mistaken, it's a FI Beetle one (at least the bosch-classic.com site says it's for a '75 Beetle, and the initial "043" in the VW part # would also indicate it's a Beetle part).

A while ago, I correlated the ECU VW part numbers from the forum/ratwell.com with their Bosch counterparts and listed the capabilities of each ECU according to the Bosch datasheets to help assessing swaps:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From that I would say, if you want a Federal FI system, you can simply use your '78 GE engine with the ECU that came with your '77 GD engine. Note: I've not tried this myself, though, I'm just trying to give a potential alternative to finding a new ECU, as others have reported that they are swappable. I would not swap a CA ECU with a Federal ECU myself, though..

Now to your questions:

whocanduncan wrote:
What is a Ballast resistor? or is it already on the motor?

Ballast resistor is a generic term to describe the function of an additional resistor in a circuit, whose function is to add additional load for a particular purpose. Sometimes it's to adjust/compensate or just simply to limit high current to avoid frying other parts of the circuit.

Without more context about which ballast resistor you are referring to, it's difficult to answer the question. If I would have a guess though, it's about the series resistors used in the FI system to limit the current to the injectors, which otherwise would overheat from being connected directly to the +12V battery supply. They are essentially 4 ceramic power resistors packed into a metal case which look like this (VW part # 022 906 079, top of the picture):

More on them on page 11 of the AFC manual (which you might want to get familiar with if you're running FI in any case):

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/vanagon_fuel_systems.php (it says Vanagon, but it applies equally to the Bay Window's FI system)

If you have a Federal ECU and harness, you do need the resistor pack. If you have a California ECU and harness, you don't need them, as the current regulation is built into the ECU.

whocanduncan wrote:
What about the O2 sensor? Will I need to adapt one onto the '77 due to the year or automatic transmission?

From the initial post, I'm not clear if you do have an O2 sensor or not. If you do, that would indicate you've got a California FI system.

In that case, and assuming you've got the matching FI harness and ECU, the only modification would be to attach the sensor to the exhaust. I've got no experience on this, but I'm sure others can help you there.

Alternatively, if you have a Federal FI system, you don't need the O2 sensor.

whocanduncan wrote:
Should I switch out the distributors (77 --> 7Cool?

As I said, here it would help if you post the part numbers of the distributors.

I would strongly suggest you use a distributor with vacuum and centrifugal advance, as that's what the bus engines were designed to run with, instead of one without. So probably reusing the one from your '77 might be the best bet.

Decode your M-Plate
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: 78 (GE) 2.0L engine to replace 77 (GD) 2.0L? Reply with quote

You will also need to swap out the engine mounting studs at the bottom of the engine. I think the autos are longer.

I think the carbon canister air supply nipple is on the right side on a GE and the left side on a GD code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: 78 (GE) 2.0L engine to replace 77 (GD) 2.0L? Reply with quote

The blocks are going to be a direct swap, so the easiest thing overall might be to strip both engines to the block, reseal the one you intend to run and then dress it up with all the correct goodies for your model year.

-Both years would have come with the same vacuum advance distributors, so choose the dizzy from your piles that was OEM. Be aware that it is very likely that the distributor drives are not installed the same between the two engines (like one chance in twelve) so you will have to properly time the replacement distributor to the engine it is being installed one. Swapping from a non standard 009 distributor for a SVDA (single vacuum dual advance) distributor will always cause confusion. It would be best to read up on how to correctly install the distributor drive and install it be the book.

-Choose the best of the two exhaust systems.

-Use the best of your cooling tins between the two engines, I believe they are identical for the 77 and 78 model years with a nipple for the carbon canister connection on the right cylinder tin. Use the best fan shroud as well.

-Figure out if your new engine has hydraulic or solid lifters and adjust the valves accordingly.

-Chose the FI system for your model year unless it is damaged or otherwise will not function properly. Now might be a good time to have your injectors professionally serviced.

-You will need to pull the flywheel or flex plate to renew the flywheel seal. Reinstall whichever part you need to match your tranny and CHECK the END PLAY as per the manual. Actually it is best to check the end play on the engine you intend to use both before and after messing with the flywheel or flex plate. If the end play was out of spec initially you will need to figure out why and adjust your final endplay accordingly. YOU CAN NOT make up for a loose thrust bearing by adding more shims.

-Choose the engine cooling fan that appears to be in the best condition. If need be take it to the car wash and give it a good cleaning. DO NOT take it apart to clean it.

Install all the parts to the thermostat system salvaging the best from pieces from your two piles. Buy whatever parts are missing. Having a functioning thermostatic system is more important than you think, yes the engine will run without most of these parts, but depending on where you live and how you drive you may shorten your engine life be 2/3rds if the system doesn't work correctly.

-While you have your engine stripped down to the block, carefully peen around all the oil galley plugs if you still have the original pressed in plugs. If your engine has screwed in oil galley plugs, smile and move on.

-Remove and clean the oil pickup screen on the engine you are going to use. While the cover is off remove and inspect the long case bolt that supports the screen, it should be straight and not bent. If bent replace it will a grade 10.9 or 12.9 bolt of the same length. You need to use sealant under the head of the bolt when going back together. Do not over tighten the bolt that holds the cover on when you are replacing the cover, it takes very little torque 7-9 ft*lbs. IMO you are now done with messing with the oil screen until it is time to rebuild the engine sometime far into the future as cleaning and inspecting the screen at every oil change is a waste of time and detrimental to your engine as repeatedly tightening the bolt can lead to a cracked engine block.

-Check that the threads for the TSII temperature sensor in the left head are in good condition. If badly corroded or stripped drill out and tap the bolt hole next to the #4 intake so you can relocate the sensor to a new location. Use never seize on the TSII threads when reinstalling it. Check that whichever sensor you are planning to use shows the correct resistance according to the manual.

-Chose the best looking alternator and take it to your local mom and pops automotive electric shop and have them check and renew if need be the brushes and bearings.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: 78 (GE) 2.0L engine to replace 77 (GD) 2.0L? Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
I think the carbon canister air supply nipple is on the right side on a GE and the left side on a GD code.

I didn't know that myself, good point and good to know when looking for replacement tins.

Wildthings mentions (in an excellent post, btw) that the '77 and '78 tins are the same. The OP can easily find out by examining them.

To the OP: here's what you'll be looking for wrt. the carbon canister hose nipple. It's either on the LHS or RHS engine tin depending on the year:

An old picture from my '79 GE engine (it looks much cleaner now, I swear! Smile ). Nipple on the right tin.

A picture from the eche_bus thread (he had a '76 GD engine if I'm not mistaken). Nipple on the left tin.

Decode your M-Plate
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 78 (GE) 2.0L engine to replace 77 (GD) 2.0L? Reply with quote

I think you need to change the axles also.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: 78 (GE) 2.0L engine to replace 77 (GD) 2.0L? Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, A GE engine is a 2.0 hydraulic lifter bus engine from 1978 OR 1979.
Here's the problem:
The two years take different heads and the corresponding heater boxes. 1978's use the early copper ring exhaust gaskets; 1979's use the Vanagon type flat rectangular port gaskets.
If the engine has the type 2 type heater boxes, 1978 or 1979 doesn't make much difference. BUT 1979's are one year only and extremely hard to find used or new. (Probably a better design, tho!)
NO type 4 engine should have a centrifugal only distributor. Functionally, the FI systems are about the same. Just need to get all the parts from one or the other. Personally, I like the California system with the O2 sensor.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 78 (GE) 2.0L engine to replace 77 (GD) 2.0L? Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

A picture from the eche_bus thread (he had a '76 GD engine if I'm not mistaken). Nipple on the left tin.

Nope that is not the Nipple, that hose you have highlighted goes to the Decel Valve. The nipple is horizontal on the side of the fan shroud and goes up to the carbon canister on the firewall

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 78 (GE) 2.0L engine to replace 77 (GD) 2.0L? Reply with quote

Good call, thanks.

I think I didn't choose the best picture there and perhaps someone has a better one of the charcoal canister nipple on the left.

According to eche_bus' thread, which is where it came from, that nipple was relocated where it's on the picture upon installation of an A/C system, so definitely not a good illustration of what I was trying to show. Regardless, I don't think it's the decel valve tube, which is still in the same location at the T junction with the brake booster as can be seen on the last picture there. I would still guess that it's the tube going to the charcoal canister on the firewall.

To the OP, apologies for the confusion. I hope that what you can take from this is simply that you should watch for which charcoal canister type you use (or choose) and use the matching engine tin (with nipple either on the right or on the left).

Decode your M-Plate
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 (GE) 2.0L engine to replace 77 (GD) 2.0L? Reply with quote

yes, what Randy said - different lower mounting studs, you'll need to move the flex plate over, the carbon canister position is different, different starter, and the exhaust on a GE engine was different in 1979 so be sure to swap it over if the engine was mounted on a bus made 8-1978 -> 12-1978. It will be obvious.

Unless you scattered the 1977 bus engine it might be just as easy to rebuild it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: