Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Brake drive hub outside diameter?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Rear Brake drive hub outside diameter? Reply with quote

I could use a favor please. Could someone measure the OD of a vanagon rear brake hub for me? Only if you have one handy. An owner has brought us a rear brake disc conversion kit and the supplied discs are not centering at all. This van had a Ford rear brake conversion and I'm betting the original hubs have been cut down some. I'm measuring 5.498" Thank you in advance.

edit: asking about the outside diameter of the "splined drive" hub that the drum seats on.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake drive hub outside diameter? Reply with quote

i've got an OEM drum out in the shed... would measuring the ID of the hole that goes over the hub help? it's a pretty dang tight fit.

EDIT: nevermind... i misunderstood. carry on.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake drive hub outside diameter? Reply with quote

I have ones that have been cut down to center Eurovan rear rotors, they measure about 5.7"
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake drive hub outside diameter? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I could use a favor please. Could someone measure the OD of a vanagon rear brake hub for me? ......

edit: asking about the outside diameter of the "splined drive" hub that the drum seats on.

Mark. I have a pair of hubs in a box, pretty easy to find, so if you need another set of measurements I'm more than happy to find and measure them tomorrow.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake drive hub outside diameter? Reply with quote

Embarassed The owner saw this post. I should have reached out to him first. It didn't occur to me that he might know. He contacted me and sure enough these hubs have been machined down for the old Ford discs to work. If someone still has the stock measurement handy, that would be helpful. The directions specify a hub dimension of 5.728-5.708"
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake drive hub outside diameter? Reply with quote

My regular callipers are too small. Don't know how accurate a measurement you need so I posted pics.

Callipers "tight" to hub, (shown resting on housing and supporting themselves at hub flange):

6 - 21/32"

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake drive hub outside diameter? Reply with quote

Neil, thank you. That answered my question. Based on your measurement the stock hubs would need to be machined down to fit the eurovan disks. Mark
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake drive hub outside diameter? Reply with quote

What year Eurovan discs?
Rock Auto has the original Brembo drawing visible for the Eurovan discs on some of them to give inside diameters, but you probably have the diameter from measuring the disc.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake drive hub outside diameter? Reply with quote

Glad it helps Mark and it sounds like even if my measurement was off by 1/16" or so, it doesn't matter. Those callipers were stiff to adjust hence the "tight" measurement.

I was surprised to see so few replies with measurements. Figured *everyone* must have a spare hub assembly lying around. Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: