Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motor pinging HELP
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Lundin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

I have a 74 super with a 1600 duel port.
I have set the timing 5 after TDC and the motor pings.
and I also tried setting it at .30 degrees at 2500 RPM and sill pings.
I have set all of the valves at 6 thousands
every thing I tried does not work. I even tried setting it .07 degrees and still pings. the carb I have is a 34pic4 the car came from California and it is a auto stick all stock motor. I took it to a VW mechanic and he is just as puzzled as I am I need HELP PLEASE.

Thanks Eric
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

Eric Lundin wrote:
I have a 74 super with a 1600 duel port. the carb I have is a 34pic4 the car came from California and it is a auto stick all stock motor. I took it to a VW mechanic and he is just as puzzled as I am I need HELP PLEASE.

I believe that 1974 California VW would have EGR valve. Check its operation.

Total advance is typically measured at 3500 rpm, not 2500 rpm.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

did this ping prior or is this a new occurrence?

are you checking timing statically or with a strobe light?

is motor overheating?

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

I suppose you've tried higher octane gas... does it still ping?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Lundin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

I used a Mac advance timing light .
yes the motor got hot when I set it to 7.5 degree then set it to 5 degrees and it ran ok went for a ride and still pinged both me and the mechanic are stumped.
so I left to go home and I was loosing power but I made it home and put it away tell tomorrow the mechanic is going to try to help figure it and let me know.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

Have you verified that the vacuum canister is not leaking, and that both the vacuum advance and mechanical advance are working properly?

Do you have points and condenser, or electronic ignition? You might want to try replacing the condenser, a bad one of those can cause some odd ignition problems., and the last few years the quality of condensers has not been all that great.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

David_nc_72std wrote:
You might want to try replacing the condenser, a bad one of those can cause some odd ignition problems., and the last few years the quality of condensers has not been all that great.

Bad condenser usually causes a miss, not pinging.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
I suppose you've tried higher octane gas... does it still ping?

Have you tried this? If this cures it, it yields tons of information concerning the problem. If it is still there, it also yields a ton of info. It is a good cheap test, providing you start with an almost empty tank and fill it up.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Eric Lundin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

I have a single vacuum duel advance distributer. the 34pic4 carb was new
from Tim at VOLKSBIZ,i don't have the egr on the car I can put it on if it will help.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

Eric Lundin wrote:
I have a single vacuum duel advance distributer.

What's the part number? SVDA is a generic term.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

Eric Lundin wrote:
I have a single vacuum duel advance distributer... I have set timing 5 after TDC...

Glenn wrote:
What's the part number? SVDA is a generic term.

None of the SVDA distributors used with autostick transmissions used a timing of 5ATDC. Sounds like you are setting your timing based on the model year but you don’t have the original distributor. To avoid this, set timing based on the model# of the distributor. Use a mirror and find the part# stamped into the body of your distributor.

I’m wondering if you have an autostick SVDA which should be timed at TDC? The only way to know is the distributor part#.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Eric Lundin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

The number on my distributor is 043 905 205
If this not the right distributor were would i find the correct number of the one i need.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

Eric Lundin wrote:
The number on my distributor is 043 905 205
If this not the right distributor were would i find the correct number of the one i need.

If there is no letter suffix after the part number, that is a distributor originally used on the 1974 federal emissions manual transmission Beetle. Timing should be set to 7.5°BTDC at idle with the vacuum hose disconnected and plugged, or you can use the popular option of setting for 28-32° total advance at 3500rpm, again with the vacuum hose disconnected and plugged.
Eric Lundin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

We tried all the of the timing 7.5 and TDC and 30 degrees at 2500 RPM
I called a shop in California and he said to use the 30 degrees at 2500
we tried that and it still pings.
so do I need to look at getting the distributor rebuilt.
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

30 degrees at full advance with vacuum disconnected and plugged. At 2500 rpm, you might not be at full advance, so you may be getting too much advance. Try increasing rpm and then setting timing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

1974 year actually did use SVDA distributors, I could confirm this if the Old Volks Home site was not down at the moment.
So you probably have the correct distributor, but it needs to be set at 7.5 BEFORE TDC. If this makes it run hot, you may have other issues that need addressing.

EDIT: I tried looking up your distributor on the Bosch tuneup chart here, and it lists your distributor as being for a 74 MANUAL, not autostick. (The autostick version is listed in the chart as 043905205-A.) Usually there is a fairly significant difference in advance curves between the manual and autostick distributors for the same year, but the chart shows them being exactly the same. I just don't think that is correct. Can you pop the cap off your distributor and give us the small 3 digit number imprinted on the canister arm that protrudes into the distributor?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

We need the full part number.

Short of that, set the timing to 30° btdc @ 3500 with the vacuum hose disconnected.

If it needs a rebuild, I've been doing them for 18 years.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

One more thing-- when you are checking timing at full throttle BE SURE YOU HAVE THE VACUUM ADVANCE HOSE DISCONNECTED AND PLUGGED!! If you are checking this with your vacuum hose connected, you will be setting timing way retarded from what it should be! At full throttle the vacuum advance adds about another 10 degrees or so of advance- so you want full advance with the vacuum hose connected to be around 40-41 BTDC or so.

Just disconnect and plug that vacuum hose, then pull the throttle arm until the crank pulley does not spin around anymore-- don't get too hung up on what your RPMs are there-- and then rotate the distributor so that you are set to 30 BTDC. Then let it fall back to idle, vacuum hose still disconnected, and see what timing you get there. It should be around 7.5 BTDC.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Eric Lundin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

The full # is
0231 170 034 043 905 205
The # on the arm is 579
Glen I did forget that you started to do aluminum Distributors
can I send it to you and see if needs a rebuild. can you send me your address and I will send it out. send to [email protected]
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

I doubt the pinging is caused by the distributor. Usually a bad distributor just makes it run like crap. Do you see timing scatter when you put the timing light on it?

Pinging is commonly caused by too high compression ratio or poor deck height (as long as the timing is verifed correct and not too far advanced)

So, is this engine new? New to you? Is the pinging a new symptom? Or is it an unknown engine that has always pinged since you've gotten it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: