Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late Vanagon Distributor refurbishment
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Carrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Late Vanagon Distributor refurbishment Reply with quote

This past weekend I cleaned and refurbished my 1990 Vanagon distributor.

There was very little info to be found on this specific VW distributor, Only spare parts readily available are the Hall Sender and the shaft ORing, no details in the Bentley except a full page exploded diagram.

Lots of info on the earlier air-cooled VW distributors and some excellent discussions on rebuilding them in the air cooled Samba forums.

Hardest part about dissassembling this distributor is holding it securely while driving out the pin at the bottom of the shaft that retains the drive cog. I built a cradle jig to hold it and rested the drive dogs on a stack of press plates while driving out the pin and replacing it.

The axial play on this distributor was huge, turns out both of the fibre washers had disintegrated. I bought a box of fibre washers that fit the shaft, soaked them in oil and reassembled. That brought the play back to .006”

In order to properly clean the distributor Body you can remove the spring steel cap retainers by driving them sideways past the crimps in the Body ring that retain them, then pop them out, I blasted them and coated them with a light layer of paint. Same treatment for the distributor clamp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Vanagon Distributor refurbishment Reply with quote

The Carrot wrote:
Hardest part about dissassembling this distributor is holding it securely while driving out the pin at the bottom of the shaft that retains the drive cog. I built a cradle jig to hold it and rested the drive dogs on a stack of press plates while driving out the pin and replacing it.

I just use a vise.

The Carrot wrote:

The axial play on this distributor was huge, turns out both of the fibre washers had disintegrated. I bought a box of fibre washers that fit the shaft, soaked them in oil and reassembled. That brought the play back to .006”

Should of asked.. I have genuine Bosch fiber washers. Hardware store fiber washers are not designed for millions of revolutions, oil and heat.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yellowjacket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Vanagon Distributor refurbishment Reply with quote

Glenn, do you have the Bosch part number for the fiber washer?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Late Vanagon Distributor refurbishment Reply with quote

yellowjacket wrote:
Glenn, do you have the Bosch part number for the fiber washer?

Dan

They are NLA...

Here's an ad for them. Once they are gone... it's off to the hardware store.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2062535

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Carrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Vanagon Distributor refurbishment Reply with quote

One of the distributor cap retaining clips on my spare unit snapped at the base when I went to release the cap. I could not find an original replacement with the rolled base so I ordered some clips for an early model Vanagon distributor, the kind that are designed to attach to the distributor Body with a screw on retainer. (Which is a better way to attach the clips IMHO)
I modified the end of the clip and it does the job perfectly. To install the clip position it against the distributor and press in the middle and the clip snaps into place on the cap and the bottom end grips the ring in the distributor Body.

The spring clip tension is equal to the original and removes easily with a flat blade screwdriver, just don’t lose it...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: