Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gas leaking while refilling
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
okmybad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: gas leaking while refilling Reply with quote

Just bought a 71 and theres alot that needs to be fixed here and there. Anyways, as i was filling up gas after im done refilling, when it stop pumping i see that there is a puddle on the driver side and my gas gauge only filled up to 1/2. i saw a thread about this issue on my phone somewhere but i lost it when i got home from work.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: gas leaking while refilling Reply with quote

okmybad wrote:
Just bought a 71 and theres alot that needs to be fixed here and there. Anyways, as i was filling up gas after im done refilling, when it stop pumping i see that there is a puddle on the driver side and my gas gauge only filled up to 1/2. i saw a thread about this issue on my phone somewhere but i lost it when i got home from work.

leaky hoses, and or rust holes in tank are likely culprits. you will need to look under the Bug, and inside the trunk to find which it is. meanwhile park it outside, not in a garage to avoid the increased risk of a fire. There is a hose at bottom of tank, and of course the filler neck hose. unless the tank was overfilled, or the Bug was at an extreme tilted angle whilst filling, it is unlikely the vapour hoses are the source of the leak

Good Luck, Bug On!, May your fuel drips no longer effect your Bug's trips!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
okmybad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: gas leaking while refilling Reply with quote

hmm it seems to only leak everytime i fill up gas. ill look around tomorrow when the sun is out
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: gas leaking while refilling Reply with quote

If you follow the fuel tank vent hose, you will find that the end of it passes through the body near the front drivers side wheel. So when you try and get that last extra ounce in the fuel tank, the gas will exit out that line and leave a little puddle. When it does this the fuel tank is filled to the max, and its not really a problem unless you have an open flame as you are refueling.

As far as your gauge only reading a half of a tank, that is a totally different issue.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
okmybad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: gas leaking while refilling Reply with quote

ah i seee.. ya about the gauge i guess its normal too since everyone has the same problem when filling it up full where it reads alittle passed 1/2 to 3/4 tank.
wonder if thats possible to fix, some says you gotta convert 6v to 12v.
thanks for replying!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: gas leaking while refilling Reply with quote

As a far as the gauge reading incorrectly, it is a common problem- but doubtful that 6volt vs 12 volt makes a difference

You might need to adjust the sending unit's 'stop tabs' or the float arm itself.

Check Jimbo's post at the end of this post:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8615940#8615940
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: gas leaking while refilling Reply with quote

Find where the puddle is made from. You need to identify where the leak is coming from. There are a few places:

Inside the hood there is a tube coming from the drivers side that should have a vacuum hose on it that runs up and over the top of the gas tank to the passenger side. The hose should plug into the vacuum canister lines. If this vacuum line is missing or damaged it can leak. If it is missing replace it and do not plug it. The other place is to check under the car where the gas tank connects to the gas line running to the rear. If it leaks there it could be a number of things. The past place is to look at the filler hose on the inside.

Keep a spare fire extinguisher with you.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
okmybad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: gas leaking while refilling Reply with quote

okay imma check tomorrow
okmybad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: gas leaking while refilling Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Find where the puddle is made from. You need to identify where the leak is coming from. There are a few places:

Inside the hood there is a tube coming from the drivers side that should have a vacuum hose on it that runs up and over the top of the gas tank to the passenger side. The hose should plug into the vacuum canister lines. If this vacuum line is missing or damaged it can leak. If it is missing replace it and do not plug it. The other place is to check under the car where the gas tank connects to the gas line running to the rear. If it leaks there it could be a number of things. The past place is to look at the filler hose on the inside.

Keep a spare fire extinguisher with you.

could this be the problem?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the bottom picture. i can wiggle that back and forth do you think that can be the issue? what is that canister piece called anyways?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: