Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Go Westy swing away style rear hitch owner video.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy swing away style rear hitch owner video. Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
For what it's worth, I would not use the Yakima Full Swing with the GW trailer hitch accessory that attaches to the tow hooks. I currently have this setup; the weight of the Full Swing (which is a lot) combined with the weight of 2-4 bikes causes those hooks to flex.

I'm looking to upgrade to a steel bumper with integrated hitch or a Burley hitch receiver that mounts to the chassis.

I agree with this. I will only have a max of 2 bikes. It's kind of disappointing. However this will buy me time until I can get a steel bumper with a hitch.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy swing away style rear hitch owner video. Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I would not use the Yakima Full Swing with the GW trailer hitch accessory that attaches to the tow hooks. I currently have this setup; the weight of the Full Swing (which is a lot) combined with the weight of 2-4 bikes causes those hooks to flex.

I'm looking to upgrade to a steel bumper with integrated hitch or a Burley hitch receiver that mounts to the chassis.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy swing away style rear hitch owner video. Reply with quote

No. The FullSwing Yakima rack costed me $400. The GoWesty hitch $179.

You can use the Kuat Pivot to add swinging capability to non-swining bike racks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy swing away style rear hitch owner video. Reply with quote

Does the swing away arm only cost $400. ?
Looks great!

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I have a GoWesty hitch with a Yakima Full-Swing. I'll probably move to the universal Kuat Swivel hitch extension once I get a full suspension.

Also, you might be able to work out a deal with your local Yakima dealer to put the Yakima rack of next order as dealer don't typically stock this big item.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy swing away style rear hitch owner video. Reply with quote

The Yakima rack in your top photo is not what the folks in the video have. Two different systems. The set up in the video is based off the GoWesty bumper system where the Yakima rack you link to is a hitch based swing away.

I have built a similar rack based on the GoWesty bumper system and I've got way more than $400 in it....

The system in the video is Vanagon only I believe. The Yakima rack you and shagginwaggin describe should work with any vehicle with a trailer hitch.

Here's my set up

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy swing away style rear hitch owner video. Reply with quote

I have a GoWesty hitch with a Yakima Full-Swing. I'll probably move to the universal Kuat Swivel hitch extension once I get a full suspension.

Also, you might be able to work out a deal with your local Yakima dealer to put the Yakima rack of next order as dealer don't typically stock this big item.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Go Westy swing away style rear hitch owner video. Reply with quote

Does anyone have one of these Go Westy racks/hitch which swing out away from the rear hatch? Looks great but the video looks like a different style than the Go Westy link and $400. is a bit pricy and not sure if I can do a setup on my Split Bus.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/bike-racks/24060/ya...-bikes-?v=

Video see 3:50

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: