Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission oil top off
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Hi,

Tomorrow morning i plan on installing a new axle seal.

the transmission is kind of new probably 15k miles ish.

I don't really want to do an oil change since the transmissions new.

but what kind of oil do i use?

i guess my real question is: would it be bad to mix oil (since I don't know whats in there now) just to top it off?

thank you.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

You should probably put fresh oil in since the first thousands of miles a lot of particles comes off the moving parts. After mine was rebuilt I was surprised when I changed the oil how much smoother it shifted.

Also, I think the spillout level is considered too high. One pinkie segment below the hole should be about right.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Please tell us: manual or automatic?

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Per a couple of his previous threads, it seems to be a manual.

Craig
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Yeah its a manual. The threads about the drain bolt getting stuck looks like a headache but I guess if it needs to be done then it should be done.

What oil do I put in though? Just need something of an idea since I've never done a transmission flush before.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Nickel_Nackel wrote:
...What oil do I put in though?

^^^ That's a whole other LIST of threads to consider... Rolling Eyes

If running stock engine (like me) you can certainly follow my recent rebuilder's recommendation:
"Any name brand 80W90 gear oil." Make sure the label says "GL-4" anywhere & you'll be fine.

FWIW, I'm running Valvoline because it ticks all the boxes, reasonably priced, available locally
& plan on changing about every 20k miles. I plan for this "new" old box to last a while... Wink Evil or Very Mad Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Nickel_Nackel wrote:
the transmission is kind of new probably 15k miles ish.

I don't really want to do an oil change since the transmissions new.

but what kind of oil do i use?

i guess my real question is: would it be bad to mix oil (since I don't know whats in there?)

If its truly “new” like the van has 15k miles that’s new. During the 1st 100k miles of a 100% new car the oil remains pretty clean. If it was an old trans rebuilt 15k miles ago, that usually means some new bearings (not all) and about 90% “old” parts. Few people are aware of this, even longtime Samba members. They “kinda know it” but put it aside. They often think a rebuilt trans is like a “new” trans.

They are worshiping a deity aptly called “Highly Unlikely I” Wink

It likely has some high miles gears in there with 300,000 miles already. They could start shedding metal tomorrow or maybe have been polluting your oil for 12,000 miles already. In which case the inattention has made it much worse. Your transaxle’s second life is not like its first (0-100k miles). The second life requires more maintenance (attention).

There’s only one way to know your oil’s condition. Check your drain plug magnet. If it has lots of clean magnet area your trans health is good. If there’s no clear space on the magnet you’ve skipped maintenance for too long and have lost transaxle life. If theres any big flakes the damage has begun and now you just have to “hope” the pollution of your next lubricant doesn’t accelerate.

Metal in your oil is bad. Discussing oil brands after your trans is actively polluting your lubricant is like closing the door after the horse left the barn. If you want miles, you need a regime for cleanliness and if you have that, perhaps can get a few percent more miles using specialty oils. Specialty oils don’t do anything once polluted with metal except lighten your wallet.

Buy a magnet plug for your oil filler hole so you can check lubricant cleanliness easily. Torque your oil plugs to the proper 14 ft-lbs and they will be EASY to service (or “maintain”).

You can start discussion of the ins/outs of brands and oil mixing and stuff after you’ve eliminated the abrasives from your lubricant. There is no contaminated oil in the world (or the history of the universe) that can hold a candle to clean oil. The discussion of transaxle longevity without addressing cleanliness is a fool’s discussion. Sorry for harsh words as I know this is not how auto enthusiasts like to think about their lubricants. But its true and you’ll get nowhere without starting at this truth.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

welp, thank you so much for all that info.

all the comments makes me look at this project a lot differently.

I'll spend the time and do it correctly and drain the oil. and see what im workin with.

Thank you guys
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Yep. Drain that gear oil and fill with regular trans grade oil and you are good with a stock engine. As good as can be... Do not go down the slippery slope of high HP engines and day long after day slogs at full highway speeds like some of us. 🙀😜

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

if i had the money I would convert it but since the van runs fine right now all i can do is save up and keep her running. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Most any GL-4 oil is okay, except for some Redline GL-4 products which will have a warning about using them in a transaxle.

A GL-4/Gl-5 oil is not necessarily a GL-4 oil regardless of what the label says and may cause shifting problems.

There are select GL-5 oils that are okay to use, but certainly not all of them. A lot of people swear by Swepco 201.
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Quote:
A GL-4/Gl-5 oil is not necessarily a GL-4 oil regardless of what the label says

So how do I know what im looking at? since i dont seem to see the GL-4 or GL-5 written across the bottle?

just wondering what is a good oil to use. I guess im asking which do you use?

Swepco201 is $86. thats a bit steep but ill pay it if its actually better.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Nickel_Nackel wrote:
Quote:

So how do I know what im looking at? since i dont seem to see the GL-4 or GL-5 written across the bottle?

You will have mixed answers to this as there are people here with different engines. I believe Swepco takes longer to 'warm up' and is really more needed by people with higher output engines.

You're running stock engine right? Also know that smooth shifting does not necessarily mean better for transmission.

I haven't put it in my van yet but I opted to use Red Line Gear Oi 75W90 GL-5. as per recommended by GoWesty. However - I have had others say "are you sure about that" and don't understand why.

Edit: Went back and got the exact message.

Quote:
You are sure about putting in Redline as your gear oil of choice?

http://www.vanagonauts.com/index.phtml?catid=101
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Nickel_Nackel wrote:
Quote:

For a stock engine and a stock trans (non syncro) I'd use something like this.

It is cheap enough that you can drain the trans and refill for under $30.

https://www.autozone.com/greases-and-gear-oil/diff...232566_0_0

The Western Syncro build
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Also, I have been recommended that is a good idea to run a 'cheap' flush fluid in your tranny for 200-500 miles to access the magnetic plug. I am doing that currently with some $20 gear oil that I bought from O'Reillys.
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

wow okay thank you guys. this is what i was looking for. So a quick flush and eventually put in some better quality oil.

thank you!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Nickel_Nackel wrote:
wow okay thank you guys. this is what i was looking for. So a quick flush and eventually put in some better quality oil.

thank you!

You really do not need to pay for Swepco if you have a 1.9 wbx. That tranny doesn't get stressed like mine with a 165HP subie. It is fine to flush if you want to but that Valvoline should be fine in your trans.

The Western Syncro build
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

lol okay. Is the stock drain plug magnetized or is that something i need to buy?

although its a newer tranny so maybe the drain plug isn't even stock.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

It most likely HAS a magnetized drain plug already. It's a good idea to buy a 2nd magnetized drainplug, and use it for the filler plug. Then you will have a 2nd magnet that is easier to monitor (for ferrous metal polluting your oil).

$86 oil is for those who have "over-engined" their vanagons, running (often) double the HP thru their poor little transmission. They need to spend $86 to get the few percent better lubricity at the higher temperatures caused by running too much power thru the trans. You don't have that problem; your 1.9 won't be overheating the oil; it doesn't merit a "racing oil". Swepco 201 is not a prudent choice 'cuz the "need" isn't there. Consequently you won't be happy with the harder, slower shifting of thick oil. The The synthetic swepcos are probably better for stock engined vans, if you still want to spend money.

The biggest problem about spending a lot of money on oil brands, is that you don't want to change it -- cuz it costs so much. Your old trans (called "rebuilt" cuz it has some new bearings & syncros) is making more metal dust (cuz it's old) polluting your fancy oil into expensive grinding paste - and you're letting the pollution build up cuz it costs too much $$ to dump out. The more abrasive dust you have in there, the more dust IT CREATES in your trans, fooking stuff up even faster. Its a vicious cycle that culminates in the result you were trying to avoid (= worn out transaxle).

You're MUCH better off running garden variety GL4 or GL5 oil that you can replace whenever you have the time - NOT - whenever you're OK with tossing $86 out the window. A gallon of GL5 at O'Reillys is $16. Lucas or Kendall oil could be better, at $32-$36. Kendall is popular with the Porsche crowd. But you don't need what the Porsche guys want. People love to get behind oil brands. They will discuss brands to the end of the earth, avoiding what really matters (actually caused the early demise); metal contamination. And there is also water, and stone contaminations, but for an old trans driven on the street, it's mostly metal that you gotta get outta there.

Longest transaxle life requires oil without metal circulating in it. The Porsche owners too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil top off Reply with quote

Nickel_Nackel wrote:
lol okay. Is the stock drain plug magnetized or is that something i need to buy?

although its a newer tranny so maybe the drain plug isn't even stock.

You probably do have a magnetic drain plug as it was stock and isn't prone to failure. People do mess them up by over tightening them and then striping them out when it is time to get the out again. The one suggestion was to use a magnetic plug in place of the stock fill plug. Probably not a bad idea, but I do worry what might happen should the magnetic rod come loose and get into the gears.

You can buy Sta-lube GL-4 gear oil at many NAPA stores. Most any NAPA should be able to order it. I have run Pennzoil GL-4 for decades. I was able to buy a very large quantity of it for cheap many years back and am now down to my last few gallons. It has been an excellent oil. Don't know if the same oil is still available today or not.

Any gear oil should say Gl-4 or GL-5 on the bottle somewhere, these are the numbers that count, the hype splashed all over the bottle means nothing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: