Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hankook Tire Blowout
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Hankook Tire Blowout Reply with quote

Well...bought this early last year (Jan/Feb 11) and had a blowout on the 110 L.A. freeway doing ~65-70 mph this morning. Is this my bad luck or anyone else have had this happened with the Hankook RA08 195R14C? No problem previous 8 years doing 70 with the Yokohama...I am glad the wife wasn't driving it...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by mbwesty on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it blows out neatly like that or you cut it out?

very weird ! !

I have a set of 4 same Hancook RA08 since 2006 with about 1/3 thread left... no problem at all.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've thousands of miles on our Hankooks Ra08s including some HD useage.. no trouble no problems.. and good tire wear..

ou may have impacted something or maybe a defect.. an unfortuante luck of the draw..

we hit a bridge expansion joint in my dad's F250HD w/7.3 diesel, blew the tire instantly and shredded the fender & running board.. that was a hella scary moment..no queston to it, took the front of the truck off the ground from the impact. was towing an equipment trailer with a Syncro on board @ ~70mph at that moment.. a big butt pucker moment of driving for sure.

once told my mom,
your tire is flat.
she says can't be I just bought them this month..
well you drove on them.. anything can and does happen.. even when new/low miles.

bumer, and glad you are ok.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mbwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no cutting...heard a loud pop and that was it...looks like a fracture to me...the Metro Service guy said he never saw something like this, too. He help me with his jack I was glad as I was going to change my tire on the speeding freeway with the original jack...

0to60in6min wrote:
it blows out neatly like that or you cut it out?

very weird ! !

I have a set of 4 same Hancook RA08 since 2006 with about 1/3 thread left... no problem at all.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's gross manufacturing defect to me..

you should try for a warranty claim under gross manufacturing defect... but then you need to buy another one to match the new one - if they honor the claim..
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: ra08 Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Have rao8 on our 84 2nd set- years of no problems. Looks like a manufacturing defect, tires look new , put the new one on the front should be fine! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warranty claim, me thinks too.

What can it hurt?

I too am running on the same kooks for about a year and a half.

What is your date code?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
mbwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Warranty claim, me thinks too.

What can it hurt?

I too am running on the same kooks for about a year and a half.

What is your date code?

Found only the spare tire receipt (I bought the spare after the original four) and it was dated 08/31/11. So my tires were actually more than a year old.

I drive mostly local between home and work so I can't imagine I put on more than 13k/year. The last time I put air in the tire it was before the summer SF trip and I pumped it up to about 47psi van loaded with bikes and gears. Today my van was empty.

As for the date code...the four tires I bought were the same ending with 3308. So I was sold some 3 years old tires....

I went by to SAM's Tires (not the club but a store in Hawthorne, CA) the owner who sold me the tires tries to tell me that the tire had hit something and I was driving on it after it blew. No kidding how he'd suggested I to get over the to shoulder from the fast lane? And how could my front tire had avoided the obstacal and not the rear? I don't mind paying for another $120 for a new tire if it was my luck but would hate to learn that someone had gotten killed in these death traps...
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a set of RA08s on the bus since '07, and have been pretty happy with them. Tread is half gone with around 30k~ish.

Recently though, I've noticed they're all getting little cracks where the sidewall meets the tread. One started bulging at the cracked area a little and I threw the spare on to be safe. I've heard the rubber in tires are really only good for 6 years, and I'm right around there, but it seems like they shouldn't be failing like this.

Different case than a new one blowing out, but they're the same tires so I figured I'd mention my situation.

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, That is really too clean of a cut to be anything other than a defect. I've never seen anything like that. I would check the other ones carefully. Shiny side up!

I'm glad nobody was hurt.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
IMO, That is really too clean of a cut to be anything other than a defect. I've never seen anything like that. I would check the other ones carefully. Shiny side up!

I'm glad nobody was hurt.

Agree.

A big section like that just does not pop out when a tire blows.

It is too clean a break.

Nah, contact Hankook.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tire certainly doesn't look like it was driven far after it blew, so the seller's claim to that affect is bull s&!t. I too have never seen a blow out like that one. I am no fan of RA08's but Hankook owes you a tire, and I would bet they would like to take a look see at yours to see just what happened. If such blow outs are a known problem with the RA08's then Hankook could be facing significant liability, think Firestone and the Ford Explorer.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know if Hankook provides a warranty replacement for you.

I had a sidewall bulge on a Michelin Agilis and Michelin replaced the tire at no cost to me.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful about "declaring" this a defect. Tires fail in all manner of unusual ways and this certainly has one of the more interesting failure lines but that novel appearance does not provide evidence of a defect. Today's roads are full of all manner of debris.

If you get no love from the dealer, the next logical step would be to contact the manufacturer and offer to email them a few nice hi res pictures. I sent a 30 second video clip to a tire mfg and got a new set of $850 worth of tires 48 hours later. Mine were a month old and slipping on the rims and the video let the warranty dept take immediate action.

Your dealer may not want to mess with it so he's motivated to stiff arm you and avoid the paperwork of a warranty claim. The mfr has their reputation at stake in this, and therefore a motivation to respond. and things to hit, so it is worth considering what a road hazard might do. Could it be a defect? You bet. But some high res photos emailed to a warranty dept is the way to get that established, not random talent on an internet forum.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug has a very good suggestion...

if they don't react, then just mention you may post your video on YouTube....

hey...we use the media for just cause you know....

Very Happy

good luck

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about being a warranty rep for a second. If you as a consumer just blend in with the other yokels wanting warranty coverage, you'll get very little attention because you put the burden on the warranty rep to find a reason to take action and justify spending money on you to their superior.

Or, give them a photo or 3 and they have their justification to approve your expenditure and they know its easily defensible to their superior.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
mbwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Careful about "declaring" this a defect. Tires fail in all manner of unusual ways and this certainly has one of the more interesting failure lines but that novel appearance does not provide evidence of a defect. Today's roads are full of all manner of debris.

If you get no love from the dealer, the next logical step would be to contact the manufacturer and offer to email them a few nice hi res pictures. I sent a 30 second video clip to a tire mfg and got a new set of $850 worth of tires 48 hours later. Mine were a month old and slipping on the rims and the video let the warranty dept take immediate action.

Your dealer may not want to mess with it so he's motivated to stiff arm you and avoid the paperwork of a warranty claim. The mfr has their reputation at stake in this, and therefore a motivation to respond. and things to hit, so it is worth considering what a road hazard might do. Could it be a defect? You bet. But some high res photos emailed to a warranty dept is the way to get that established, not random talent on an internet forum.

DougM

Hey Doug,

Thanks for the input!

It really wasn't my intention to obtain a failure analysis from this forum. One intention was to discover could there be a trend, and the other was to inform this forum which had played a role in me choosing these tires.

I hope no one had made a conclusive declaration. To me this experience really highlight using Hankook's warranty process to escalate issue like this one just isn't very effective.

I think my primary concern is I am still driving a set of the same tires and I'd need from Hankook to assure me that they are safe as my kids love riding the van. It is obvious that I am contemplating replacing them to another brand all together at the moment.

Anyway, I did send a pic into Hankook yesterday and by the evening their Western office did response to my email and they are issuing a call tag to have the tire pickup for review. I now just need to get a shop to have the blown out tire removed from the rim before having it pickup.

I will keep everyone posted on Hankook's response and in a perfect world I would like an independent review board to tell me what had happened to the tire...Tim
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under good light take a bunch of picture of the blowout area from every angle. Also run your hands over the tread and sidewalls to see if you feel any other weird areas.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have the missing piece too?

if you do give it to them with the tire

good luck
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what the Skip Barber defensive driving course did to my tires.
Man that was a hoot Exclamation

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A squeelin' tire, is a happy tire Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: