Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Okrasa with Porsche linkage
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

Has anyone seen an okrasa set up with a Porsche shroud and linkage? I’ve got a few shrouds and linkage sets around. I’d love to use it but I’m thinking that because the carbs sit so high, the links to the carbs will be really short and at a funky angle. I’ve googled all ways I can think of with nothing!

My only thought is to get some WW I takes and cut them down a bit to make that work correctly, as I’m not going to cut my original ones.

Thanks for the help guys!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

Mr.Ragtop wrote:
Has anyone seen an okrasa set up with a Porsche shroud and linkage? I’ve got a few shrouds and linkage sets around. I’d love to use it but I’m thinking that because the carbs sit so high, the links to the carbs will be really short and at a funky angle. I’ve googled all ways I can think of with nothing!

My only thought is to get some WW I takes and cut them down a bit to make that work correctly, as I’m not going to cut my original ones.

That won't be your only problem, the Porsche accelerator linkage is totally different, it uses rods that push the carbs open vs VW using a cable to pull them. You would have to use the entire assembly from pedal cluster to carb to pull it off.
The shrouds are just modified VW 36hp and later 40hp anyway, nothing special.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Mr.Ragtop wrote:

That won't be your only problem, the Porsche accelerator linkage is totally different, it uses rods that push the carbs open vs VW using a cable to pull them. You would have to use the entire assembly from pedal cluster to carb to pull it off.

Right. I’m not worried about that. I already have that part work out. Pretty easy to modify to work with a cable. So, now my biggest issue is the carb height vs. linkage rods.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

Mr.Ragtop wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Mr.Ragtop wrote:

Right. I’m not worried about that. I already have that part work out. Pretty easy to modify to work with a cable. So, now my biggest issue is the carb height vs. linkage rods.

Funny cause I keep thinking about some way to modify a VW doghouse cooler set up to work on a Porsche engine!

Anyway, chopping the WW intakes down sounds like a viable plan.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

When I found my first Okrasa kit with 17 years in 2015, there were basically only the heads, manifolds, balancing tube and the carbs.
Well it came with a strange linkage. It appears to be Porsche 356, but it is homemade.
I didn't use it, because the experts here said there were no Okrasa engines with this linkage and after my research that is 100% sure. But I test fitted it and it would work. The question is how well it would work! The only advantage of this linkage is in my opinoin, that it is more resistant against the spreading of the engine while it heats off, so that the synchronization won't be affected that much.

Jan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

I know I am using Zeniths, but maybe this will help, there is a lot of room for adjusting the linkage and modification. I cut up a POS Porsche shroud for the linkage and welded it on a VW shrould. I moved some stuff around behind the shroud to make things line up better. Had to shorten the throttle cable some as well and made a "J" tube guide for the throttle cable to go through and line up with the linkage. It is nice, a bit of a PITA to connect the throttle cable and adjust the rear linkage, but not the worst.

I will try and bring the car out to VWOTG so you can see what I did if that helps. Hopefully I can make it down.
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

Joshua B wrote:

I know I am using Zeniths, but maybe this will help, there is a lot of room for adjusting the linkage and modification. I cut up a POS Porsche shroud for the linkage and welded it on a VW shrould. I moved some stuff around behind the shroud to make things line up better. Had to shorten the throttle cable some as well and made a "J" tube guide for the throttle cable to go through and line up with the linkage. It is nice, a bit of a PITA to connect the throttle cable and adjust the rear linkage, but not the worst.

I will try and bring the car out to VWOTG so you can see what I did if that helps. Hopefully I can make it down.

That would be awesome!! My only concern is the “down links” that attach to the carbs themselves would be really short and at damn near 45 degrees. I’m sure I can come up with something to make them work and look correct. Let’s try to connect on here before the show at some point!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

Does any one make the weld on bracket"side" and the rear mount bracket" for the 356 linkage I want to use the 356 linkage on my 36hp shoud but need all the brackets ...any one make them ???? Let me know....
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

I think those pics are what you’re looking to accomplish with your build. Link rage was built by KCW (Grand Junction, Co)

Peep this thread for more details- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=704045
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Does any one make the weld on bracket"side" and the rear mount bracket" for the 356 linkage I want to use the 356 linkage on my 36hp shoud but need all the brackets ...any one make them ???? Let me know....

Best bet is to buy a 356 fan shroud and remove the brackets that you need. This is what I intend to do. I don't believe anyone is making these parts. Good luck.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Best bet is to buy a 356 fan shroud and remove the brackets that you need. This is what I intend to do. I don't believe anyone is making these parts. Good luck.

Yeah I was looking at buying one but $ 300 plus for a 356 shroud just to take the brackets ...im cheap right now lol ..it would be nice if someone just made the brackets i.. know I'm not the only one wishing this 😁
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Yeah I was looking at buying one but $ 300 plus for a 356 shroud just to take the brackets ...im cheap right now lol ..it would be nice if someone just made the brackets i.. know I'm not the only one wishing this 😁

Keep looking, shroud doesn't need to be perfect. I found a "donor" shroud for $150, which seems reasonable. Have you looked into the cost of the remaining linkage parts? It's not a cheap way to go, everything is pricey on this setup.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Keep looking, shroud doesn't need to be perfect. I found a "donor" shroud for $150, which seems reasonable. Have you looked into the cost of the remaining linkage parts? It's not a cheap way to go, everything is pricey on this setup.

Yeah I got all the linkage parts with my linkage cost me $35 😮😯 at pomona swaptmeet 😊 just need brackets ..but ill be on the look out for a messed up shroud .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: