Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

Ok guys I am entering uncharted/ scary territory here, and I am asking for help. My bug is at my friend's shop right now awaiting surgery. Initially thought just the floor pans were shot but it looks like the channels and some front firewall, and some spots in the rear are also pretty bad. Many year ago the parcel shelf was all rotted out and cut away and replaced with a sheet of galvanized steel.
I guess what I am saying is the body is really not worth saving.
We all know anything can be done, BUT, I am considering just finding a solid body and swapping everything over.
I already got the pans and everything to re-do MY chassis, which besides being pretty solid already, I HAVE a title for. Also I have a nice interior and the seats are the bastard 71-72 only so the chassis will be staying that way to avoid spending money on new seats (Mine are totally restored and work great).
I literally just need a body to plop down on it.
My car is a 71 Standard, so IRS rear end, looking for any standard body I can put on it.
I WILL NOTE HERE that i don't need ANYTHING ELSE. Glass, beam, rear suspension, engine, tranny, fenders, hood, decklid, tires, doors, interior....NOTHING. I have taken really good care of this car aside from driving it through winters for the last 7 years which has left me in this position. Everything that bolts onto the car is in really good shape. Beam replaced last year, brakes all gone through, engine has 20k trouble free miles on it, tranny shifts fine, etc etc.
That said I see some tempting offers ( $1500 and under) in the classifieds and on CL in various parts of the country, but to make this worth it to ship a car I really need confirmation that the bottom 6-10 inches of the car are solid. Small patches here or there I could deal with but not channels, quarter panels, whole parcel shelf, etc etc. I think I would just have the stripped down shell painted to match my body panels and then bolt all that right on and go.
At this point I am not ready to contact someone about a car and pay someone to go look at it, but I am posting here today to ask if any of YOU guys either have or know someone who has what I am looking for. One of the folks who hangs around my friend's shop did the same thing this past year with a 71 Super body he got from a VW wrecking yard in Arkansas and it turned out pretty well, done within a week. He is going to give me that person's contact info but I suppose I am putting the feelers out right now among the trusted members of this forum.
I'm not even sure this is a good or value driven idea.
Tell me I'm crazy.
Tell me I'm brilliant.
Tell me you have a rock solid 71 STD Beetle greenhouse just laying around your property!
Thanks for reading.
This thread is sure to go well.... Laughing

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
One of the folks who hangs around my friend's shop did the same thing this past year with a 71 Super body he got from a VW wrecking yard in Arkansas and it turned out pretty well, done within a week. He is going to give me that person's contact info

Is this Way Out Salvage? (Derrick?)
That was going to be my first suggestion, if you don't mind shipping halfway across the country... I would definitely trust him to send you something solid. I cannot speak for his prices though...

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

might be, i will see this guy on Sunday when I am back out there working.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

was looking at this as a possible candidate yesterday:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2154376

any thoughts? Any FL guys that would check it out for me?

asiab3 wrote:

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

Rockrod - PM sent.

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

This is a little far for me to go check it, I just stumbled upon it looking for VW parts in my area:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/145671616136670

May be worth shooting the owner a couple questions at least.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

Better yet - if I didn't already have two VDubs, i'd jump on this one not far from me in northern VA:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/volkswagen-super-beetle/6534564427.html

Seems like much more complete for the $$$ than the fire bug in Miami.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

It is also a Super and will not fit my chassis. It is also double the price, and with shipping added, would be more expensive than welding up what I already have.
That car could go to someone who will drive it, doesn't look like it needs to be torn apart.
My ideal candidate is a car sitting in a junkyard with no title. A pipe dream I know but I came across one here in MA a couple years ago that i should have scooped up complete. I think the story on that one was there was a death and the car was in a garage for a long time and there was no title to be found and the family sold it to a junkyard for scrap. Yard wouldn't sell the whole car but had an ad on CL for months parting it out. I been looking and can't come across it, probably was crushed.

The search continues, I have reached out re: your PM vamram, my folks are down that way for a few more weeks also. Something may come of it. If the panels and/or area around the rear windows are not warped from the fire it could be perfect. That ad states 71 but its clearly a 70. Don't bother me none though I won't have to worry about death foam any more!

asiab3 wrote:

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

Ah, sorry - i missed that you weren't looking for a Super. I'll see what's up around the VA area...a little closer than Miami.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

Rockrod - i know you're trying to save yours, but check this one out - a '70, 2k OBO, solid floors and channels...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2158764

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

DAMN, well, thats much better than half toasted Miami car!
I suppose this is progress but then its closer to me owning multiple bugs....I have to keep my sickness in check!

Someone else sent me a real good lead for under a grand. Currently exploring options.
I really appreciate everyone responding, these are all good leads, thanks guys!

asiab3 wrote:

pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

Contact ratlookvw here on the samba he has the connections and the resources in the Florida, Georgia area.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

Hey Rockrod - did you ever find a.donor car?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

Not yet, lotta swings and misses. Its not as easy as people make it out to be anymore, most everything out there is rotted somewhere along the lines my existing body is. Or people want crazy prices, or I have to take everything and deal with hustling the parts off myself (which I don't actually mind so much but the total dollar value is higher).
To Sb001- checked with the guy who got his car in Arkansas, and indeed he got it from Way-Out salvage. He drove down and picked the car up himself, which I do not have the luxury of doing, but this fella holds Derek down there in high regards, said I should def check with him, which I think I will eventually.
I did however, just today, do the unthinkable and turned in my plates and cancelled my insurance on the old girl. First time in about 15 years this car has been officially off the road. SAD! Crying or Very sad

asiab3 wrote:

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:

I did however, just today, do the unthinkable and turned in my plates and cancelled my insurance on the old girl. First time in about 15 years this car has been officially off the road. SAD! Crying or Very sad

Bummer!!!
Crying or Very sad

But you will find one before long!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

well, I AM saving the almost $1500 it costs to insure it for the year (thats bare bones make-me-legal cost since Boston is #1 in the country for bad driving). All that can go to the cause!
Also, this thing sat rotting for about 5 years in my parents backyard before I saved it from the crusher the first time. This go around is un/re-doing all that horrible bodywork or just replacing the body altogether!

It is sad though, I don't see any way I'll be driving it in the nice weather this year....
I still have a bus I can drive though!

asiab3 wrote:

APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
well, I AM saving the almost $1500 it costs to insure it for the year (thats bare bones make-me-legal cost since Boston is #1 in the country for bad driving). All that can go to the cause!
Also, this thing sat rotting for about 5 years in my parents backyard before I saved it from the crusher the first time. This go around is un/re-doing all that horrible bodywork or just replacing the body altogether!

It is sad though, I don't see any way I'll be driving it in the nice weather this year....

Have you seen this ad?
https://southcoast.craigslist.org/pts/d/vw-beetle-bug-shell/6548821814.html

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
ROCKOROD71 wrote:

Have you seen this ad?
https://southcoast.craigslist.org/pts/d/vw-beetle-bug-shell/6548821814.html

NO I HAVE NOT! Thanks so much, I will actually be visiting my folks in that area this weekend and will take a look. At that price even if it needs a little work it still looks like much less than my current shell. The quarters don't have fist sized holes in it!

Just tossing this out, but a 68 shell on a 71 pan....aren't there clearance issues on the body of a swing axle car vs an IRS car? Also I am having trouble re-calling but did the rear glass get bigger in 71 or 72? Would be great if I could use all the same glass on this car (kinda attached to my decals...).

asiab3 wrote:

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

Eh, I don't know how much time that one's gonna save you, you can already see into that passenger side heater channel. Just pointing it out.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone in FL/ Miami/ Dry states can scope a car out? Reply with quote

Well it's worth looking at, it's not hundreds of miles away or a grand to ship. Also I will re-iterate here, my current shell needs:
Both heater channels
Both rear quarters
rear parcel shelf is just a sheet of galvy riveted on top of a hole
front firewall outer corner (both) are shot.
Pass side A pillar is solid but NOT correctly repaired on the bottom.

That excludes the pan restoration, which is separate and I am for sure keeping.

If that shell JUST needs heater channels it is worth it to me. If that shell is all original rusted/rotted German steel it is worth it. The repairs on my current car have already been done once, with garbage Klokkerholm channels and quarters so working on the current one is repairing previous sub-par repairs, which I believe will be a nightmare. Also for a hundred bucks if it doesn't work i can just cut it up and scrap it...

asiab3 wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: