Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1200 rebuild/upgrade
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Poehlman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

I recently purchased a '58 Ragtop with a '65 40HP motor. The motor idles smooth but has a pretty loud knock that comes and goes at idle, and is constant at higher RPM's. I'm not interested in stuffing a 1600DP in the back, but rather, rebuild the 1200 with some mild performance upgrades. I've built 1600's many years ago, so I'm confident in my ability to rebuild this 40 horse. I'm considering larger jugs (1385CC) and maybe a mild cam to add a little more get up and go. I'm looking for advise from someone that has first hand experience with mild performance upgrades to the 40 horse. Suggestions on carburation if I go with the larger jugs, what cam to use, cylinder spacers, different rockers, etc... It's currently has a 30PIC carb and for simplicity I would like to stick with a single carb. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

You may also want to "ask" in the Engine/Performance forum.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

For a 40 horse build I'd ask in the vintage speed section below the performance forum. It is also a good one to search for 40 horse builds.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:

That would be the last place I’d check. The go to answer is always 2332 as mentioned go one down to vintage speed forum there you’ll get answers.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Mark Evans wrote:

That would be the last place I’d check. The go to answer is always 2332 as mentioned go one down to vintage speed forum there you’ll get answers.
That's what I meant...
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

That would be the last place I’d check. The go to answer is always 2332

LOL.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

LOL.

Not that it’s a bad thing in fact many builders and much knowledge there but as the name implies they are into max performance. Just my opinion but vintage speed is more of a challenge and instead of looking just like the car next to you at the show you can stand out with period accessories and parts..

Another thread similar to this mentioned reading Bill Fishers “ How to hot rod VW engine” written in 1970. A wealth of knowledge on single ports. Very Happy
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

LOL.

Not that it’s a bad thing in fact many builders and much knowledge there but as the name implies they are into max performance. Just my opinion but vintage speed is more of a challenge and instead of looking just like the car next to you at the show you can stand out with period accessories and parts..

Another thread similar to this mentioned reading Bill Fishers “ How to hot rod VW engine” written in 1970. A wealth of knowledge on single ports. Very Happy

I just found it ironic as a was having a conversation about this not long ago with a couple of friends. I mentioned, maybe coming here for advice, but I got the eye roll and mention of how everything turns into turboed 2.3 liter. I agree there is a wealth of knowledge, but its funny how certain forums live up to their reputations at times.

Regarding the original subject, my recently acquired 60 has a nicely done 36hp. Based on current prices, it aint cheap, but it scoots down the road nicely. I wasnt sure what to expect, but very happy with it. Ill be lurking around the Vintage Speed forum more often for sure.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

There are plenty of us that have 1200s or 1200 based engines....And there are a couple current threads on this.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick Poehlman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. I'm new to The Samba and am just cutting my teeth on this Forum thing, so be patient. I asked the question on this page because I'm not looking to build a single port street racer or to modify my 40 horse beyond recognition. Just wanting advise from someone that has done mild upgrades to their 40 horse (cam, crank, lifters, carburation, etc..) during a rebuild. I have taken you advise and posted a question on the other forums, so thank you all!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

Definitely a work in progress to study the forums. If you can use search you can dig into conversations past in detail. There are some talented people here and I continue to sharpen my skills but reading these. Good luck and have fun
kbman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

Rick you are on the right track when you say mild upgrades on a 40hp platform. Other than big bore cylinder kit its best keep these motors stockish. Having the rotating Parts balanced, installing case savers for the head studs, and installing a dog house oil cooler fan housing are good for engine longevity. Other than that a 40hp is best left as a 40hp. If you want more power you be better starting off with the bigger engine.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

I enjoyed my 40hp with the 1385 P&Cs. I think before I sold it I changed from a 28 to a 30 series carb, using a tapered spacer to match it to the intake manifold flange. Stock appearance, better low end, 70mph cruise (eventually!), and still easy to drive around town.

I think I had to shim the barrels a little to keep compression down, given the shitty no-lead gas of the day (1980-ish).

I had tried an 009 and also an extractor, but the peakiness of the 009 was not enjoyable around town, and I got tired of the dragging muffler, so I went back to stock there. I gave up a little on the high end doing so, but the low-to-mid range response was better and therefore more drivable around town. I wasn't going to win any drag races either way!

I also retrofitted a doghouse cooler/shroud soon after, and it ran much cooler, city or highway. Well worth it!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

kbman wrote:
Rick you are on the right track when you say mild upgrades on a 40hp platform. Other than big bore cylinder kit its best keep these motors stockish. Having the rotating Parts balanced, installing case savers for the head studs, and installing a dog house oil cooler fan housing are good for engine longevity. Other than that a 40hp is best left as a 40hp. If you want more power you be better starting off with the bigger engine.

Do you speak from experience?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

Big Bore 40HPs have all that I've ever had in my 62 since I bought the car in 1989. I've posted a lot about the 34bhp 1192cc engine over the years - that was VW's name for it all the way until they stopped making it in 1985, even though the SAE HP rating at some point went up to 41.5. (and due to progressive refinements, I would like to think that in a dyno tug-of-war, the first production "40HP" in August 1960 would be beat by a Mexican 1200 from July 1985.

Anyway, you said 1965, that was a transition year for the 40HP 1200. A few months into the model year VW finally sorted out all the buggery cylinder head issues and put good heads on there. So is your engine from before or after this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.

Last edited by glutamodo on Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

I think it depends on intent. If it is just better performance in something not too far from stock I'm pretty sure a 1600 will outrun a 1400 (1200 w/ a big bore kit) any day of the week. If you want something for vintage style or closer to stock then enjoy a good 40 horse build.
Rick Poehlman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

Upon further research, it appears it is a factory exchange engine that was available between November '68 thru March '72. The stamped engine number starts with DO (indicating a 40HP) and ends with X (indicating Exchange). I've been told these replacement cases are dual-relief with 100mm oil passages and have cam bearings. That all sounds good to me. I wont know for sure until I split the case. I have also discovered I have a '69 tunnel AH transmission.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

Factory stamps (one letter and 7 numbers, or two letters and 6 numbers. That's D-ZERO by the way, that "0" is a number, not a letter) always indicate a production line vehicle. Now if it's been milled off and re-stamped, or that whole "X" suffix, well, all bets are off as to what you have now. With that X you can no longer go by any of the production line engine numbers, and have to examine the details.

D series blocks LATER ON, were dual relief, but as I just said, examine the details! And all D blocks made starting August 1965 had cam bearings.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick Poehlman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

I’m considering using a 69mm crank with 83mm bigbore cylinders. I’m told that would essentially spec out to a 1500cc. It would require 5mm shims for clearance . Does anyone know if the original fan should, cylinder tins and a 1200 exhaust still bolt up?
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 rebuild/upgrade Reply with quote

1200 fan shroud & cylinder tins: Yes. Cyl tins will be a bit short, but function fine.
1200 exhaust: No, it's too narrow.
Rick Poehlman wrote:
I’m considering using a 69mm crank with 83mm bigbore cylinders. I’m told that would essentially spec out to a 1500cc. It would require 5mm shims for clearance.
Does anyone know if the original fan should, cylinder tins and a 1200 exhaust still bolt up?

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: