Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

How thick is the wood on that trailer?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
How thick is the wood on that trailer?

The sides and top are 1/4" (6mm) while the bottom piece is 3/8" (approximately 9.5-10mm).
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

Not too much action on the trailer, as of yet. Hoping to spend a little time on her this weekend. I did however get the freshly powder coated, tow hitch installed:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cool
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

Over the past several weeks, I've been doing bit and pieces for the trailer. I've been working with a friend of mine, that is an extremely talented carpenter. He has done cabinetry for years. He's been helping me figure out ways to stain the wood in a manner that I'm happy with. Man, I'm glad I asked for help. I would have probably thrown a color on there and called it a day. He wants to layer this on top of that and all kinds of stuff, that I would have never dreamed of doing. In the meantime, while all of that is going on, I've also done a couple of little things.

Grimy old coupling - years of hardened grease and road grime:

Degreased:

I'll re-lubricate it, once I start putting it all back together.
A little polish:

Also spent a little time with the wiring harness for the trailer. There was originally a black, plastic, 13-pin Hella plug on there. I didn't like it, so I bought a 7-pin, alloy plug to replace it. The old wires were cut down, cleaned up and reinstalled onto the new plug:

Slapped it all back together:

What she will eventually look like, once the trailer is all back together:

Cool

Slow, but steady...still making progress, albeit very slow, but progress, nonetheless.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

Still fiddling around with odds and sods on the trailer, in between bouts, working on the bus. The past couple of days have been spent, cleaning up the old nuts and bolts for the wheels. I just couldn't stomach the idea of having the trailer powder coated and sticking the old hardware on there, looking dingy. Off to the bench grinder we go. I put a new wire wheel on the bench grinder and started to remove some more grime.

Started out with a pile of nuts and bolts, that looked like this:

This was the first one:

I liked the way it came out and decided to see if I could come up with something that would help me make up some time, as well as give me a better way to hold things in front of the wheel:

A little more industrious:

Once I finished all of them, I put a protective coating on them:

I learned about this stuff when echebus was restoring his machine.

Final product:

Still got a long way to go on the trailer, and it really hasn't been at the top of the list of priorities. Hopefully, that will change before too long!
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

I have a question for any of the Essen, trailer experts. Does it truly matter, which direction the nuts and bolts face on the split rims?

Here's what they look like:

All the images I've seen, seem to show the nut on the outside of the rim. I have not been able to ascertain the orientation of nut/bolt direction, through any of the images taken inside the Westfalia factory. The pictures are always too grainy for me to tell. If anyone knows what the proper orientation is, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

a.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

Im willing to bet it doesn't matter. Ill look at all mine and see if they follow a pattern.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Im willing to bet it doesn't matter. Ill look at all mine and see if they follow a pattern.

I figured as much, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Oddly enough, it was 50/50 for me. On the two trailers I've owned, the '77 came with the bolt heads showing, and the '74 with the nuts on the outside. Most of the pictures I've seen, seem to have the nuts on the outside. I just wish there was a clearer picture of the trailers coming off the line at the factory. I assume that the nuts would be on the outside, as it was probably easier to keep track of them, should one need to replace a tube, on the side of the road. Question Either way, let me know what you find out...pics would be great! Cool
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

These look good but I'm just curious why you didn't have these re-zinc plated? I think it would provide longer protection.

Keep up the good work!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

These look good but I'm just curious why you didn't have these re-zinc plated? I think it would provide longer protection.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Bill!

Truth be told, it hadn't even crossed my mind. I guess I'll leave them out in the weather for a bit, while I'm working on other things. That should give them a chance to corrode. If they do, I guess it'll be down to the metal plater.

Thanks for adding another layer! Confused Mad Evil or Very Mad Laughing
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

Really, not very much to report I'm afraid. I did however, get a chance to get the trailer hitch wired up, and working properly. As you probably know by now, the trailer is still not back together. So, I attached the pig tail from the "loose" trailer lights, into the socket on the hitch, and checked the lights. Amazingly, they all work. It stands as good motivation to get cracking on the trailer!

I'm still waiting to meet up with my carpenter, friend, that is helping me match the original stain, for all the wood panels. I hope to meet with him tomorrow. Perhaps, he'll have good news?

I have also managed to purchase some ABUS no. 30 locks for the trailer. I will not need all of them, and wonder if there are any Essen, trailer owners out there, that might be interested in buying one? I should have them in the next few weeks, as they are coming from Europe. Once I have them in hand and can take an inventory of what's there, I'd be happy to part with a few of them. I guess this is kind of a feeler ad, to see if there is any interest in adding the finishing touches to your trailer? They supposedly all work and have keys. If you have ever tried to hunt down a key for these things, you'll know how much of PITA it is!!! Anyhow, just thought I'd throw it out there. Any interest, let me know.

Cool
Globusoverland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

Hi Alexis,

Please let me give my 2 cents Laughing
The official parts catalogue doesnt clear up our questions regarding the bolts and nuts.

However, I managed to find an original spare wheel and holder that shows the way of mounting the bolts/nuts in relation with the tire valve. The one I have shows the valve on the same side as the nuts.

Maybe they went this way because of tightening the nuts easier during maintenance? Confused No need to crawl underneath it?
By the way: do you see the diffence in rims in the various pics I posted? That would be a nice new topic: lets talk rims! Laughing (there have been at least 4 kinds of rims for these Essen trailers!)

However, To me it looks much nicer to have the nuts "inside". That's why I mounted them this way:

Hope this is of help.
Keep up the good work buddy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

Globusoverland wrote:
Hi Alexis,

Please let me give my 2 cents Laughing
The official parts catalogue doesnt clear up our questions regarding the bolts and nuts.

Hi Michel! Thank you for the input! Of all the things they would forget to depict in that diagram. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Once again, I think it reflects the fact that it is probably insignificant, other than the things mentioned below.

Globusoverland wrote:

Maybe they went this way because of tightening the nuts easier during maintenance? Confused No need to crawl underneath it?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this has been my susupicion all along.

Globusoverland wrote:
By the way: do you see the diffence in rims in the various pics I posted? That would be a nice new topic: lets talk rims! Laughing (there have been at least 4 kinds of rims for these Essen trailers!)

Yes, my rims are the same as the spare tire you have shown. The valve stem does not come out the side of the rim, like your's, rather it comes out of the outer ring of the rim. This has always been a point of concern for me, as I have not been able to find any inner tubes that match the profile shown in the factory diagram. I suspect it will be a little more difficult to fill the tire with the valve stem that lacks the angle shown.

Globusoverland wrote:
However, To me it looks much nicer to have the nuts "inside". That's why I mounted them this way:

Hope this is of help.
Keep up the good work buddy!

This has been my feeling all along too. I prefer the appearance of the rim with the bolt head, showing.

Thanks for your input and words of encouragement! I really appreciate it. Hopefully, this will serve others as well, somewhere down the line.

Cheers,
a.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

I would think that the nuts should be on the outside of the rim. That way they are visible and it will be easy to check that all are still there. The nuts will fall off first
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

What a great thread. I'm super jealous and wish I had one of these. That '78 you had would have been perfect.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
I would think that the nuts should be on the outside of the rim. That way they are visible and it will be easy to check that all are still there. The nuts will fall off first

You're probably right! As was mentioned earlier in the thread, I suspect that having the nuts on the outside, makes them that much more easily accessible for maintenance, and as you have stated, easily observed.

Funnily enough, I was at a customer's yard yesterday, and couldn't help notice that the nuts were facing out on every one of their forklifts. I walked around several other places where forklifts are employed today, and noticed the same thing again; all the nuts are on the outside of the rim. Idea
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
What a great thread. I'm super jealous and wish I had one of these. That '78 you had would have been perfect.

Hey Kirk!

Thanks! I'm still a long way off, from having her done. I can't wait to get her put back together and to start being able to pull her behind the bus!

I think you should get a hold of Jason (notchboy) and see if he has one that he'd be willing to part with, because I couldn't agree more...I think Bear would look great pulling one around! Cool
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
Kirk wrote:

Hey Kirk!

Thanks! I'm still a long way off, from having her done. I can't wait to get her put back together and to start being able to pull her behind the bus!

I think you should get a hold of Jason (notchboy) and see if he has one that he'd be willing to part with, because I couldn't agree more...I think Bear would look great pulling one around! Cool

Shame on you Not talking Wink Im out bitches. Kirk already knows. Erick Sowder on FB is the man now. Join us in the Westfalia Anhagler forum there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/259975957415954/

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
white74westy wrote:
Kirk wrote:

Hey Kirk!

Shame on you Not talking Wink Im out bitches. Kirk already knows. Erick Sowder on FB is the man now. Join us in the Westfalia Anhagler forum there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/259975957415954/

Hey back!

But man. You are ALWAYS the trailer guy! I joined that page BTW. That is the one thing I have always lusted after and never had was a westfalia trailer.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Essen Trailer Reply with quote

Yeah. You've wanted one for quite some time brother. See what Eric has or comb the German eBay Classys Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: