Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Slow out of a stop
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

Recently I had my van in a shop because my fuel line got a hole in it. The mechanic said that he fixed a few different spots. I don't seem to be losing fuel anymore.

Now I have a new(ish) problem:
- When I drive at a decent speed for a while (around 35 mph) and then come to a stop, I have a really hard time driving again.
- When I let my foot off the brake the van begins to roll, but when I give it gas there is A LOT of hesitation.
- It doesn't seem to matter how far down you press the gas, the van will not accelerate for a while (maybe 5-10 seconds)
- It's bad enough where I occasionally have to throw on my hazards and have other cars go around me.
- Sometimes when it is done acting up, I'll hear some loud thuds from the back of the van before I start accelerating.

I never had this issue before I got a hole in my fuel line, but now it has continued even after that issue seems to be resolved.

My (very inexperienced) theory is that it is something to do with the automatic transmission. I believe that my transmission is shifting me up while I drive, but failing to put me in a lower gear when I come to a stop.

Any advice would be helpful!
How do I troubleshoot this?
Should I just go back to the shop?
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

You have holes in your rubber fuel lines and your mechanic fixed it? How? This is sort of screaming the wrong answer. Where in VA are you and what mechanic is this

Also have you tried manually shifting the automatic when you come to a stop to see if that really is the transmission?

When you say hesitation is the RPM going up but you aren't moving? Or hesitation like theres no fuel pressure building up?
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

Is it an automatic?
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

If you have holes in your fuel lines then you should start by replacing all the fuel lines. I don't think you need to worry about the hard plastic bits. but the rubber hoses need to be replaced immediately. especially since you noticed them leaking.

I would take care of the fuel lines first. that might even be the problem if the lines are still leaking. Patch job on fuel lines is probably not a good idea.
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

To clarify: the mechanic replaced the hoses that were leaking. He did not patch the existing hose. This was done at Bob's Foreign Car Repair in Gloucester, VA.

Yes it is an automatic.

I have not tried manually shifting. How would I do this? Put it in 1, then 2, then drive? I haven't really messed with the manual shifting much since I go the van.

I'm not really sure how to explain the hesitation. Tomorrow I might try to film it if I get a chance.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

i know that shop!

Ok a few questions.

Does it idle
In park, if you give it gas does it rev freely?
Have you checked to see if you have a feozen brake shoe/pads?

I would check the brakes before testing how it shifts.
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

MichaelCampingInVA wrote:
Does it idle
In park, if you give it gas does it rev freely?
Have you checked to see if you have a feozen brake shoe/pads?

I'll check on this first thing in the morning. How would I tell if I had a frozen brake shoe/pad?
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

Block the front wheels

Put in neutral, make sue the hand brake is released

Jack up each wheel and see if you can turn it by hand...
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

WannaDriveFar wrote:
To clarify: the mechanic replaced the hoses that were leaking.

They replaced only the lines that were leaking? That's not good enough unless you want your van to explode into flames and be completely gutted by fire. Unless you're not giving all the history, then presumably all the fuel lines are the same age and if some started leaking, then they are all old and about to leak. If ANY of the hoses were leaking, then ALL of the fuel lines need to be replaced, not just the ones that were actually leaking.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

So, from your description it sounds like there isn't any power at all from a stop and backfires while it tries to gain rpm's?

Did this start after a new tank of fuel and was running fine before that fuel stop?

It isn't common but you may have gotten a tank of contaminated fuel with water in it.

BTW, don't just replace a single bad fuel line here and there, go back and replace them ALL from the tank to the pump to the filter to the pressure regulator to the fuel rail to the injectors and the fuel return lines to the tank.

Do this tomorrow before you post "my Van just burned up!"

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

I re-read your issue it sounds more lie a fuel delivery problem.. you in Yorktown?
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

MichaelCampingInVA wrote:
I re-read your issue it sounds more lie a fuel delivery problem.. you in Yorktown?

Gloucester
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

Based on the information you all have given me, I'm going to go ahead and try to replace my fuel lines myself.

Any particular words of warning going into this process?
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

What you describe can unfortunately be many things. It's not your brakes. Check idle solenoid, vacuum lines, afm. I'd start with those. Or after a certain year, vanagon syndrome may play in for digifant vehicles.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

Has it run right since you got it back with the fuel line repair?

No?

Check your firing order, maybe they pulled plug wires and mixed them up.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Has it run right since you got it back with the fuel line repair?

No?

Check your firing order, maybe they pulled plug wires and mixed them up.

Dave

I just got the van back yesterday and drove it for about 2 hours. It seems to drive fine except for out of stops. I can't necessarily say it's run "right" because I've never not had issues with my van, so I'm not entirely sure what right feels like. But I had no other major concerns.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

Wow. My award for "the most convoluted thread of the week" here.

OP says "my mechanic replaced my fuel lines", then a few minutes ago in response to others warning about fuel lines says he "will replace his own fuel lines". I'm confused. Were the fuel lines replaced by your mechanic or not?

Regarding the symptoms. How about we stick with the symptoms. Drive the van. Come to a stop. Press on the gas to drive away. If it won't accelerate as normal in a second or two, immediately pull the auto shifter to "1" and don't change anything else. Does the van suddenly have power and pull normally? If so, your mechanic likely messed with the throttle cable and trans kickdown cable and did not properly reinstall things because it appears the transmission is the problem. Stop and repeat. Then stop and put the car in Drive and head back to the mechanic.

Don't suspect a sticking brake, low fuel pressure, or full ashtrays. Stick to the transmission as the suspect.

One HUGE caution. If your mechanic messed with the throttle cable and tranny kickdown and did something wrong, there is also a potential the throttle can STICK OPEN because things are not properly installed.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

Looks like Oakton isn't too far from Gloucester. I'd consider looking up member Alaric H. and seeing if he can look at your van.
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
OP says "my mechanic replaced my fuel lines", then a few minutes ago in response to others warning about fuel lines says he "will replace his own fuel lines". I'm confused. Were the fuel lines replaced by your mechanic or not?

Hey Doug,
The mechanic replaced to pieces of hose where he found leaks but not not replace it in its entirety. My thinking, after hearing the warnings of others, was that perhaps it had sprung another leak in a less noticeable place and that it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the whole line anyways, as I don't know its age.
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Looks like Oakton isn't too far from Gloucester. I'd consider looking up member Alaric H. and seeing if he can look at your van.

2.5 hours each way seems like a bit much to ask. Thanks for the idea though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: