Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubdork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

It's been ages since I've logged in here...

I use to know some local names (New Hampshire)...but not sure anymore, who is still around and taking on jobs...
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

Hey man. Where you at?
I don't know of anyone in NH specifically working on aircooled's. I had to do mine all myself, with lots of help from some good buddies from here and the Samba itself. Gary Leblanc at Suburban Engine Exchange built my motor, he's in Saugus, MA I think. His ad is expired, and his website is down so I'm not even sure he's still doing it. Foreign Auto Supply way up in Maine is mostly doing Vanagons, and really only does full restorations anyways. Stanagon is another guy in MA who works on Vanagons, but does any busses really. Precision Auto in Portsmouth is an awesome shop, the owner dailies a Vanagon Westy and they'll work on anything. Or at least try to guide you where to go.
Other than that, it's up to us to keep these things going!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

do not use brim bell...ever. look up his feedback

I do stuff here in CT...licensed real deal shop. depending what you need/or if your willing to travel may be a deal breaker. on a side note, I have had clients from texas and Canada ship buses to me, so I must be doing something right Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and use Skills. He's the real deal technician who knows these VW's inside out. You only have to look at one of his build threads to understand the level of his OCD attention to detail and quality work.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Do yourself a favor and use Skills. He's the real deal technician who knows these VW's inside out. You only have to look at one of his build threads to understand the level of his OCD attention to detail and quality work.

All threads seems to be ruined by Photobucket, though Sad
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

If you can afford it, I'd trust Skills with my car. And I don't trust anyone with my cars.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

Trust Skills with your bus, just not your wife or liquor cabinet Very Happy
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Trust Skills with your bus, just not your wife or liquor cabinet Very Happy

really below the belt gary....sheesh

speaking of which, could you mail my belt back to me Razz

and thanks guys....I do my best. I may come off as abrasive but I want it done right with the best quality parts possible.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

What part of NH, and what do you mean by "putting together?"

Albee Automotive in Sunapee might be worth a look. They do some restoration work in addition to the normal routine. I've seen one Bus they've done and it looked decent (better than mine anyway.) I've seen stuff in their shop stripped with proper body work being done.
Bubba119
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

There is a guy in Southern NH on YouTube, he goes by Mustie1. Hes always working on VWs
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

Questions asked, great answers given. OP disappears. Rolling Eyes
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

If you come for the snark, getting thanks is just a nice cream topper.
dubdork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

Hiya...thanks so much for all the replies...I'll check with the most local suggestions first...

And pardon me for not logging back in to thank you all sooner...I didn't realize immediate replies were required these days...it's only been a couple days since my original post.

The story is this...my husband got me a 1970 bus on my 40th birthday, more than 5 years ago...he was working on it as time and funds permitted over the years. It's a solid bus and he got so much done for me...

In May of 2017, he was diagnosed with lung cancer, stage 4, and so very sadly, passed away in February. There's so many things going on right now, besides obviously grieving. So again, I very much appreciate the suggestions on who might be able to help me finish it...this is one of many things I hope to accomplish this year...to honor his wishes, to take our 11 year old daughter camping in it and carry on living life to the fullest as he would've wanted...

To answer specifics, we're in the Lakes Region, central NH.

It needs new carb installed (already have it)...I think I need to order some adapter (?) for the carb, electrical sorted out...I have loads of parts...etc...doesn't need body work, like I said, it's solid...key broke in ignition, need to get a blank made somewhere...anyhoo...wish me luck and thanks for any advice...
dubdork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

Gregg in the 603 wrote:
Questions asked, great answers given. OP disappears. Rolling Eyes

It's been 3 days dude...

Speak to the hand
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

I'm sorry for your loss.

Good luck with the Bus and camping!
dubdork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
I'm sorry for your loss.

Good luck with the Bus and camping!

thanks very much
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

as far as the key broke off.... You should be able to get it out yourself, depending on how it broke it can be a challenge but not very technical.

But before you start trying to get it out.... Do you have another key that works the lock? If not keep it in till you can have it down for a bit (and not have to move it) as it can still be used to start/ unlock steering wheel/ remove cylinder/ etc.

I can help you out as far as the key goes. The best at this point is to cut a new one from the code. Did one key fit everything as it did originally. If so the easiest place to get the code is from the cargo door handle (the one screw on the inside releases it ) and the code is on the shaft that you can't see right now (or if you have the original key the code is on the head of the key).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: looking for vw mechanic in NH to finish putting my bus together Reply with quote

dubdork wrote:
Hiya...thanks so much for all the replies...I'll check with the most local suggestions first...

And pardon me for not logging back in to thank you all sooner...I didn't realize immediate replies were required these days...it's only been a couple days since my original post.

The story is this...my husband got me a 1970 bus on my 40th birthday, more than 5 years ago...he was working on it as time and funds permitted over the years. It's a solid bus and he got so much done for me...

In May of 2017, he was diagnosed with lung cancer, stage 4, and so very sadly, passed away in February. There's so many things going on right now, besides obviously grieving. So again, I very much appreciate the suggestions on who might be able to help me finish it...this is one of many things I hope to accomplish this year...to honor his wishes, to take our 11 year old daughter camping in it and carry on living life to the fullest as he would've wanted...

To answer specifics, we're in the Lakes Region, central NH.

It needs new carb installed (already have it)...I think I need to order some adapter (?) for the carb, electrical sorted out...I have loads of parts...etc...doesn't need body work, like I said, it's solid...key broke in ignition, need to get a blank made somewhere...anyhoo...wish me luck and thanks for any advice...

Well, aren’t we all feeling better, self included.

Sorry for your loss, dub dork.

The best way to get these things rolling is to get the basic mechanical skills yourself, nothing on your list is not easily doable at home with some guidance. Juniorette can pick up some good skills too.

How are you off for tools and workspace?

A couple of guys, fully vetted here, cruise the country and do mobile training, too. Will send links.

Quote:
And pardon me for not logging back in to thank you all sooner...I didn't realize immediate replies were required these days...it's only been a couple days since my original post

Once you get the key out, this is easy to do - if the same key opened the doors, you pull a key cylinder from the door, send it to one of two people here, and they will make four keys for you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: