Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door window rubber installation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clubshack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Door window rubber installation Reply with quote

I am trying to install my door rubber and am having a hell of a job. Here are my issues. any help would be greatly appreciated. it is for a 1971 Ghia coupe.

I have to install the rubber where the window goes down. I cant find instructions or good detailed pictures of how they go together. felt scrapper etc.

I am also confused about how the rubber goes around the door itself. I believe there are 2 separate rubbers??? pictures would be great of the locations.

the top rubber above glass with trim piece??? Again, pictures or detailed instructions of how it goes together.

last question: the top rubber, front and rear windows and back passengers glass, do they get installed after the headliner is in or can they be installed first and headliner next?

thank you to everyone that can help me on these questions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good insight here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=439152

If you look through the Ghia "How To" Stickies at the head of the Ghia section under the sub-heading "Bodywork & Cosmetic Items" you will find a lot more to help you with window glass: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433752
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber around the door is easier to fit (glue) if door is not yet attached to the car. If your doors are already put in place, don't worry - just take your time. With small brush and good contact cement fit longer rubber piece starting from upper right corner (for drivers door, look from out side) where is a small hole (7-8 mm.), small ball in the end of the rubber goes inside that hole, go down to lower right corner and then finish at lower left corner. Short rubber piece is attached to body, not to door! Glue short pieces later, when you're OK with gaps, how doors shut and hinge's bolts are finally torqued down.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First put your window lift mechanism inside the door - make sure it's clean and works OK. Slide window inside door but not attach it yet to lift mech. Put anti-rattle rubber pieces (7 small mushroom like rubber buttons, some help to them can be found -> here), put felt scrapper in place. Now lift the glass and attach it to lift mech.

For outer scraper/trim - look for other topic here - it contains video how to do it.

Headliner goes first. But don't forget to put in place wires for interior light in the mirror - later you will sorry!!!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be amongst the stickies. Brilliant pictures Mr Disc
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sputnick,
That was today's job... pics are fresh Smile
clubshack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

Thank you for all of our help great pictures and should work out. I am going to attempt the rubber tonight.

can I install the top rubber before the headliner??????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headliner needs to be in before rubber and windows, except door window.
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's add few more pics Smile

Door scraper and trim install.

First - start with the narrow scraper support metal strip. You need to make it as straight as you can, also you may need to move it (bend it) a bit to stay away from door glass :

Place trim clips in door trim:

And try a "dry" fit to the door (without rubber scraper) - you need to place clips in the right positions in the trim - then mount trim to door and check for clearance to A and B pillars - make sure trim don't scratch you paint!

Remove trim with help of a little screwdriver put the trim away trying not to move trim clips. Now fit rubber scraper in place:

Roll the window up and down - if you moved scraper support strip way to far and scraper is too far away from door glass - just press the scraper with fingers to move it closer - don't push scraper too close to window, a 1 mm. from glass is OK (when you place chrome trim later, scraper will move a bit and will touch the glass). If you didn't moved support strip away from glass enough, scraper will fit firm to glass and when you try to roll window down you'll have troubles Smile like this:

Remove rubber scraper and make adjustments if needed. Make adjustments to support strip now! Take your time, do it few times until you are satisfied with even gap (1 mm.) between glass and rubber scraper. If you fail to do it now, later you'll need to remove chrome trim and scraper to adjust it and punched holes in scraper (for trim clips) may not realign with door holes!

When you're happy with even gap between scraper and glass it's time to punch holes in scraper. I use sharpened old broken screw driver - incidentally it's almost the same size as holes in the door:

Fit rubber scraper to the door - make sure you have equal surplus material from both sides. Lift a bit the scraper, find the holes and punch them. My "tool" makes perfect holes in scraper Smile

Then put chrome trim in place. Align clips with holes and push trim down. Then use a credit card to lift small edge of the scraper over the trim. Again roll the window up and down and check for scraper not fit to close to door glass.

Now it's time to cut scraper to size. Use a piece of thin plastic under the scraper to avoid scratching the paint!

Use Stanley knife to make the cut. First cut follow the shape of the chrome trim:

Close the door and observe the place where is the contact of the scraper and A and B pillar rubber seals, you will have a bit of surplus material and result will be like this:

Don't worry - it's time for second cut. Mark the place and make second cut - it's a bit different angle from the first cut:

Now close the door and examine the spot again:

This is the right way to do it Smile

Continue with lower part of the scraper , under chrome trim - again using thin plastic will help a lot:

If you work on convertible - fit the rear door wedge. VW had technical bulletin that prescribe using that wedge in Coupes too to prevent water leakage.

Move few step away and admire your work Smile

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! Just been added to the "How To" Stickies under the title: "Replacing Door Glass Rubber - Another View".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Move few step away and admire your work "

Awesome
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Clear pics! Good addition to the stickies.

"At my age time is too short to respond to people with short minds"

Current: '69 Ghia Coupe
VW History:'63 Bug;'70 Bug;'73 412;'83 Rabbit;'86 Golf;'76 Fat Chick; 67 Ghia Coupe; '70 Bug
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great how to there. Love that screwdriver punch. This is what the Samba is about. People helping People....Wait I hear a song coming on LOL Cool
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like a good thread to bring up my current hitch: I'm now done with the left side windows (after the usual struggle with the quarter windows Smile ).
Started on the right side last night and installed the scraper following again the KGPR video and this thread. I did not have any problem when I installed the left side and breezed through the whole thing. The right side is another matter, the scraper does not look like it's coming out tight. I'm ending up with no "extra" on the middle portion of the lip that I don't have anything to pull on the rubber to tighten the fit under the chrome. There's enough material to pull on on the ends but the middle seems to be just right on the edge of the chrome strip. Need help and tips from the pros! Thanks.

VW History:'63 Bug;'70 Bug;'73 412;'83 Rabbit;'86 Golf;'76 Fat Chick; 67 Ghia Coupe; '70 Bug
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its easy to mix the orientation of the rubber as they look almost the same. Turn it around/over and put the other side in first.
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel: Checked it out and it looks the same as the left which went in smoothly. Failed to mention that these are not the original doors as the old ones were rusted so i got these off a donor car. Would that have made a diff? Anyhow in the process of taking it all off and on I broke off two of the clips so I may just order a new scraper together with the new set of clips just in case I did get a bad scraper.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they look VERY much the same..
Post a few pics. IIRC...the side that goes flat on the door (and eventually is trimmed off) and under the chrome piece has ridges in it. It will only fit one way correctly.
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pic is a nice illustration. I can't check now as I had to drive over to the Northwest(Seattle) over the weekend but will look at it when we get back later this week. I'm hoping maybe I'll get a chance to drop by House of Ghia on the way back and get the clips and new scraper from them.

akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread and the KGPR video were very helpful for scrapper install and I didn’t have too much trouble, except that I ended up with a 3-4 mm gap in the middle of the door between seal and window. I tried re-positioning the seal several times and pushing and pulling but it would just not lie down in one area. See photo. So I gave up and decided that’s as good as it can get. This morning it dawned on me why… I bought all the rubber for my car before paint and that is now many months ago. The scrapper rubbers sat in a box all that time folded in half, as they were packed by KGPR. I think by storing them that way they are now permanently deformed. So lesson learned: if you order these rubber bits and you don’t intend to install them right away, unpack them and lay them flat until you’re ready.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've never actually tried it myself, I would think a little time spent heating up that seal with a hair blow dryer could coax it into relaxing back into its original shape.
TigerH4wk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Door window rubber installation Reply with quote

Is there felt on both sides of the glass (inside and outside) or just one and some rubber bumpers? Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: