Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what IRS to run in a 63 356B?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: what IRS to run in a 63 356B? Reply with quote

I am putting a 901 5 speed in a 63 356B. I am going to be running IRS and I need to know what model Porsche suspension would be best suited to put in this car. Fabrication is no problem at all, I can weld whatever brackets I need or make whatever I need. Please help. Any info is appreciated.
thanks,
Gabe
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can grab up those VW conversion (swing axle to IRS) mounts that weld to the torsion bar, then use 944 rear IRS arms. They'll bolt to the brackets and the stock 356 spring plates. Beetle or Bus axles will bolt right on, although the Porsche axles might work out just as easily. These components ought to get you close to where you want to be. A little more mix and match and you'll be all set.

Luck!

TC
GMac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help. Now where can I get those conversion parts?
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, one of the advertisers on TheSamba:

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=SSH0001&cartid=

LOTS of folks carry these brackets, the swing axle to IRS conversion is a common one. The little brackets weld to the rear torsion tube, you add bushings and the 944 rear arms/hub carriers which pivot in these brackets and then bolt to the spring plates in the rear. If you can't find the aluminum 944 arms, just use IRS Beetle for now.

They both interchange, although the 944 will accept the rear 944 factory disk brake assembly, while the Beetle uses drum or a rear disk conversion.

Luck,

TC
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC/TeamEvil wrote:
They both interchange, although the 944 will accept the rear 944 factory disk brake assembly, while the Beetle uses drum or a rear disk conversion.

don't the 944 disc brakes bolt right up to the beetle arms?

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfgang International sells bolt on IRS brackets that fit aroung the torsion housing. Once properly located, you tack weld them into place. Just get the trailing arms and brakes from an early 944 (up to '85). They are stamped steel like in a beetle and they bolt right up. You may have to redrill/shorten your springplates. Check the splitbus forum for IRS conversion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again, 944 suspension is almost identical to late beetle suspension. you probably don't have to go through the trouble/cost of getting the porsche parts other than the brakes

conversion link:

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/IRSconversion/stockbugconvert/stock_bug_irs_conversion.htm

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
electnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: what IRS to run in a 63 356B? Reply with quote

I know responding to old thread
I just became enlightened
Noticing the 944 arms are available in alum and still is there a preference besides unsprung weight

Is the bolt patter for the 944 cv joint same as a 930 or same as 911?
Thanks Tommy

Goal
Tesla 356 a
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: what IRS to run in a 63 356B? Reply with quote

From memory, the 944 arms have a different mount in the center, but not dramatic. It might take some mutated hardware to make it work.

Also from memory, same CV bolt pattern as type II bus and Vanagon.

Roland
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: what IRS to run in a 63 356B? Reply with quote

just to add to this thread for those that might follow...
on the the early alloy 944 arms the track is about 1" wider per side than the steel VW/944 arms. This will make wheel offset really tricky unless you are prepared to do a lot of work to reshape the rear fenders towards the back to accomodate the wheels. Steel arms are much easier to make work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: