Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I was curious if anyone has put the high torque starter on their early vanagon manual transmission? Van Cafe is the only site that says it will not work with the aircooled transmission because, "due to the difference in the exciter wire to the solenoid"....

This really doesn't make sense to me. If anyone has done this on an aircooled transmission I would really appreciate any info you have, and whether it does work or not.

Thanks!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

the stock air cooled fuel injection has 2 small wires on the solenoid.
and one large. the one large is of course the primary battery cable
one of the small ones comes from the Ignition switch and energizes the solenoid to engage the starter.
the other small wire piggy backs on the solenoid and takes that key energizer signal to the double relay to fire up the fuel pump.

since the high torque starter only has a place for 1 small energizer wire on the solenoid it won't work on stock air cooled.

it will work fine on your engine swap. your fuel pump will be triggered by the ECU in your rewiring for the swap.

they could market this to air cooled owners with a simple adapted harness that has a pigtail to plug the aircooled fuel pump signal wire into. or directions to splice that wire in when they splice the key starter wire.

stock vanagon air cooled starter
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

see how spade 1 & 2 are essentially the same on the back.

image credits to this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=465921

Last edited by danfromsyr on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

A wire hack or spade terminal adapter would also work for AFC owners but as previously stated, you should be fine.

J
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the stock air cooled fuel injection has 2 small wires on the solenoid.
and one large. the one large is of course the primary battery cable
one of the small ones comes from the Ignition switch and energizes the solenoid to engage the starter.
the other small wire piggy backs on the solenoid and takes that key energizer signal to the double relay to fire up the fuel pump.

since the high torque starter only has a place for 1 small energizer wire on the solenoid it won't work on stock air cooled.

it will work fine on your engine swap. your fuel pump will be triggered by the ECU in your rewiring for the swap.

they could market this to air cooled owners with a simple adapted harness that has a pigtail to plug the aircooled fuel pump signal wire into. or directions to splice that wire in when they splice the key starter wire.

stock vanagon air cooled starter

see how spade 1 & 2 are essentially the same on the back.

image credits to this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=465921

Thanks that makes sense!
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

Another quick question... In your opinion do you think it would be best to eliminate/cap off the blue/brown wire, or tie it in with the other connector?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

Your question should be asked of the person who did the wiring for your Subaru conversion.
That wire was used by the VW fuel injection system.
If the other end of the wire is now being used by the Subaru fuel injection then you need to still connect it to the starter switch wire.

Mark

chompy wrote:
Another quick question... In your opinion do you think it would be best to eliminate/cap off the blue/brown wire, or tie it in with the other connector?
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Your question should be asked of the person who did the wiring for your Subaru conversion.
That wire was used by the VW fuel injection system.
If the other end of the wire is now being used by the Subaru fuel injection then you need to still connect it to the starter switch wire.

Mark

chompy wrote:

I did the conversion and wiring, but it was more a question of whether you think it would be better to eliminate the wire completely since it is no longer used or just tie it in since it doesn't actually do anything anymore but throw a pulse out when the ignition is turned on...

I'm guessing it would just make sense to remove it completely. You're the wiring expert, so I was actually hoping you might chime in.
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

I wanted to come back and report what I did with my blue/brown wire as discussed earlier, in case anyone else comes along that did the same conversion. In my case I tied this wire into the the larger wire that goes to the solenoid. Without it connected it takes multiple tries to start the van, as the fuel pump isn't running while the starter is turning over. Once connected the van starts up each time on the first try. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future if they had an aircooled conversion that is wired the same way I did mine.
nunzio82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

I have a 1982 AC vanagon and I bought the HIGH Torque starter. I am very thankful of this post, I wish I would have read it before I bout the new starter. I am having the same issue as CHOMPY.
I did dint know what t do with the Blue/brown wire as the HIGH TORQUE starter did not have a place to connect or any instructions with the starter.
Like CHOPMY it takes several try before my motor will start. I would like to connect this blue/ brown wire to the new HT starter but really not sure which wire I would need to connect it to,
Please reach back to me to let me know how to correct this issue.

Thank you
westy81vancouver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

@nunzio82 any luck with this? Did you simply splice the two spade connections together?

Thanks!
pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

westy81vancouver wrote:
@nunzio82 any luck with this? Did you simply splice the two spade connections together?

Thanks!

If you hesitate to cut-splice your wires, google "piggyback spade connector type F 1/4 inches"

I have an '82 and, it looks like, from factory, they use that trick in the back of the main fuse box (black-grey wires - IIRC fuse S10 wiper/defog).

English is a second language to me
westy81vancouver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

I did end up splicing them together to the new TDI connector. Everything works great!
pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

westy81vancouver wrote:
I did end up splicing them together to the new TDI connector. Everything works great!

Would have done the same thing. Using too many sliding-contact-gizmos in a rust area, I would not have trusted it.

By the way, re-read my post. I meant. People may already have a free unused gizmo in the back of their fuse box. I did !

@westy81vancouver I when thru your photos. So you have that starter setup on a stock CU engine ? Do you have more info-photos ? thanks

Last summer I dodge a bullet. A few years back, the 2 long screws holding the Bosch starter were loose. Blue loctite and call it a day. But unbeknown to me, one side of the solenoid fork had moved out of position and started eating up the rotor copper winding. Last summer, the starter started to act-up when hot (again), so decided to look it prior of winter storage. Coils wires had flatten and were now starting "touching". Caught it just in time. A little cleaning, a little flat scredriver to "split the wires", a little floor varnish ..... and call it a day Wink

....maybe time to start looking for something else.

westy81vancouver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

Hi @pathao yes I run a mostly stock 2.0L FI aircooled (Raby 9550 cam with solid lifters). I went with the Westy Ventures adapter plate (http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html) and LAtrical starter (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/290468609810?mkevt=1&m...rxPWVx5TBw)
I went with this setup mostly as preventative maintenance and for the greater availability of TDI starters while on the road should I ever need to replace it. It's only been installed for a day, but so far so good. It now sounds like a modern vehicle on startup (which is kind of funny to me), but quickly returns to that classic VW sound we know and love once the engine is running.

Here are a few photos of the install.

pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: High Torque SR0408X starter on 81 aircooled Vanagon to ej22 swap Reply with quote

Great

Thanks

Will look into that.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: