Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air filter
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonasKristofferson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Air filter Reply with quote

What is the best air filter for a 1970's beetle with a 1200 motor? Do different filter increase/decrease performance?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

Stock oil bath filter is best. No air filter will make any difference to performance on a 1200.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

No really familiar with the 1200cc engines, but regardless...

The best air filter for performance would be the stock, year correct air filter with functional pre-heat intake tubes and thermostatic controls.

That pre-heat function (if functional) makes a big difference in cold engine drivability or 'performance'.

Aftermarket 'chrome' air filters won't give you any notable performance gains when warmed up, and will give you hesitations and stumbles in cold/cool weather during engine warm up, owing to lack of preheat intake ability. They rarely are designed to accept the oil fill tube (crankcase) breather hose as well- so there's that disadvantage too.

In the case of the best air filter on a stock engine with stock type carb:

Stock rocks Cool
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

The stock oil bath air cleaner (usually the small round version for the 1200 engine) have the following advantages.

1. They work VERY well - the air takes a 180 degree turn just above the oil - the air makes the turn and the heavier dust sticks in the oil. They also have the secondary coconut fibre upper filter which catches anything which does make that turn above the oil.

2. They have the required fittings for warm air intake to stop icing until the engine warms up, and have the oil breather tube which sucks any oil fumes into the engine. The slight vacuum produced in the air cleaner assists the flow of air through the slots behind the engine pulley and through the case to remove oil fumes.

3. All VW oil bath cleaners have a 3 inch "ram" tube built in above the carb inlet. This helps smooth the airflow into the carb, and it also grabs any fuel "spit back" which happens with almost all open-throat style carbs.

Very few of the aftermarket air cleaners will do all three of those above.

The small round VW oil bath air cleaner uses 250ml of any engine oil.

The larger oval shaped oil bath cleaners used on 1300/1500/1600 engine use 400ml of any engine oil.

Either will fit your engine if it has a stock style 28, 30, 31 or 30/31 carb on it, but make sure the intake funnel is on the correct side for the warm air paper tube. depending on the age of the car and therefore the style of the engine lid. The larger oval filter might not fit under your engine lid. (the 68+ engine lids are bulged outwards slightly on 1300/1500/1600 cars - dont know about the later 1200s as we didnt see them here in Australia).

If you really need an increase in performance for your 1200, the easiest method is to fit a set of "big bore" (83mm) cylinders and pistons for the 1200 engine - they increase the capacity to 1375cc and provide a noticable 4 extra hp (approximately). No other changes are needed. These big bore kits are available in the UK and Europe, and a few plaves in the USA too.
http://www.vw-resource.com

Last edited by Aussiebug on Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonasKristofferson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

This is the air filter my beetle had when I bought it. Is this the correct air filter for my car 1976 1200?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

Ah-hah! Thats the later paper style VW filter. These work very well too and provide all the features I described above. It's as good as you get.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

JonasKristofferson wrote:
This is the air filter my beetle had when I bought it. Is this the correct air filter for my car 1976 1200?

I suspect that is the correct filter for a europen delivery 1200 cc 1976 car You appear to have the warm up system hooked up, so I see nothing wrong with what you have.
No, an another filter wont boost performance, and many aftermarket ones will lack the critical warm up equipment.

Id leave it on you car as is, you wont find any are better, many aftermarket one may harm performance with lack of warm up system, may lack the correct inlet nozzle, and many so called performance filters simply make more noise besides defeating the warm up system.

go with what you got, that is a good filter for your car, that same filter was used on the American market 1600 motors, it will flow plenty fine for your 1200 motor!

nice engine bay, clean and neat!

Bug On!

PS note the metal vacuum pipe to the distributor is not bent correctly, it must have a bend upwards back to the carb, the reason for this is to keep liquid fuel from flowing into the vacuum diaphragm can. fuel in the can can ruin the rubber diaphragm. Please replace or rebend that pipe into a shepard hook shape

see post below in link, see the first photograph for how the pipe MUST be bent....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579891&highlight=shepards

Note how the pipe is bent up above the carb in the photograph in the above link, this bend
prevents liquid fuel from flowing down to the distributor vacuum can, this is important, please fix it!

also please see link at bottom of post regarding engine fires and safety wires.

GOOD LUCK, BUG ON!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
JonasKristofferson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

Thank you everyone, I will stick with this air filter! @bluebus86 I will fix that pipe asap! Thanks! I have been driving almost a year like that. I would like to ask, at the bottom of your post you shared a link about preventing fire, are you just suggesting that or do you see something that is wrong in my engine that could cause a fire?
Thanks!
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

Imo nothing filters better then an oil bath for a daily driver street car.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

JonasKristofferson wrote:
Thank you everyone, I will stick with this air filter! @bluebus86 I will fix that pipe asap! Thanks! I have been driving almost a year like that. I would like to ask, at the bottom of your post you shared a link about preventing fire, are you just suggesting that or do you see something that is wrong in my engine that could cause a fire?
Thanks!

you can read in the link more details, nut the basic problems is with age, the steel tube that is pressed into the aluminum carb body can come loose, it is simply pressed into place. thermal expansion ,mismatch is one concern when hot the it is looser.

I cant see if it is a problem for you or not, but I habe had three of them fail on me, others have had problems too. one of the three resulted in an engine fire, car was saved only because I had a fire extinguisher, although I just barely saved it, the extinguisher ran out just as the last flame went out.

I strongly urge you to address this before it becomes a problem.
the simplest fit is the safety wire fix as detailed in the link, other solutions involve drill and taping the fuel nipple mount.

So please address this. as the carb casting ages, the material does stretch, expand, and that can cause the fuel hose fitting to fall out.

take five minutes and add the wire, then you will not have to worry about it. you do have the one piece type fuel pump fitting, so no worries there, only your carb is an issue. earlier Bugs can have a simular issue with the fuel pump, the pump being aluminum with simular to carb steel hose nipples.

remember if that hose nipple comes out, fuel is dumped on or near the distributor....spark spark, and then.... kaboom, and the fuel may continue to flow via gravity even with motor shut off. the motor will keep running for a while even with the fuel hose fallen off, there is enough fuel inside the carb to keep it going, and the sparks going in the distributor.

stay safe

Good Luck, Keep a Buggin!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
JonasKristofferson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

Thank you @bluebus86!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

Your metal line from the carb to the distributor is installed upside down. The purpose is to prevent gasoline from getting to the distributor and damaging the vacuum diaphragm.

And my grandparents came from Brezova and Kurima....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

I see owners who think the oil-bath filters are superior to the OEM paper-element filters, and I have to wonder why. A good paper-element air filter will not allow any dirt into the carburetor, so how is the oil-bath superior.

Of course, the oil-bath is cooler to look at, but in what way does it filter any better than the later system?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I see owners who think the oil-bath filters are superior to the OEM paper-element filters, and I have to wonder why. A good paper-element air filter will not allow any dirt into the carburetor, so how is the oil-bath superior.

Of course, the oil-bath is cooler to look at, but in what way does it filter any better than the later system?

Tim

some advantage of oil type.
an oil type won't clog easy, and the filter media can be purchased at any autoparts store, gas station, even grocery stores stock the filter for the oil bath type. You never need to worry about it being out of stock or the correct size filter, any motor oil will work.

Bug On!

empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

What's the best filter for dual carbs?

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter Reply with quote

I use whatever fits, either the cone type for ICT's or the round Kadron ones, oil them at every oil change (spray bottle of baby oil) and buy new ones at 15,000 miles or so like you would any other car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: