Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

I've been thinking of doing something similar with my hitch/bumper mounts. I would like to run an extension over to the driver side and then poke a vertical bracket up through the top of the bumper cover which would serve as the bolt-on base for a custom swing-out tire carrier. I just prefer the look of these bumpers over all the other options.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I've been thinking of doing something similar with my hitch/bumper mounts. I would like to run an extension over to the driver side and then poke a vertical bracket up through the top of the bumper cover which would serve as the bolt-on base for a custom swing-out tire carrier. I just prefer the look of these bumpers over all the other options.

Shazam!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Behold. The hard way to make a tire carrier from a Pathfinder swing away.

The d-pillar plate mess will extend down to the horizontal tube to support the hinge weight. This became obvious part way through the mock up.

I will get back to it some day. Look forward to seeing how you do it. 🙂
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
I went a bit overkill. I modified the OEM brackets for the fiberglass bumper.

Plated the OEM brackets. Note the tube is mechanically sectioned through the brackets as I didn’t want a place for my welds to fail.

Notched in the receiver. 2” quarter wall tube. Gusset plates for reinforcing.

Notched the fiberglass bumper.

I plan to hand a ktm motorcycle off this. Thinkers crossed?

it looks like you made the part that slides into the frame longer than the original bumper bracket. how long or how far does it slide into the frame?
1990 vw automatic camper
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

Quote:

it looks like you made the part that slides into the frame longer than the original bumper bracket. how long or how far does it slide into the frame?[/quote]

I did so i could add a third mounting bolt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
pushkick wrote:
that looks very sturdy should hold a motorcycle. was that a 2" X 3/16" square tube? did you use 3/16" steel for the bumper brackets? nice work! what do you think the hitch weighs?

Yes and yes. The whole shebang isn’t that heavy. It’s pretty easy to lift. Maybe 50#?

I should warn one issue. If you plate the inside of the OEM brackets the space between the bumper mounting bolts will widen the width of your added plates. It wasn’t an issue for me because I had to rebuild my fiberglass bumpers as they were trashed when I got them. And I was modifying the brackets to accommodate. What was a few more holes?

do you have a cad drawing/pdf of the bracket that goes in the frame? that is all i need to start on mine.
1990 vw automatic camper
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

pushkick wrote:
rmcd wrote:
pushkick wrote:
that looks very sturdy should hold a motorcycle. was that a 2" X 3/16" square tube? did you use 3/16" steel for the bumper brackets? nice work! what do you think the hitch weighs?

Yes and yes. The whole shebang isn’t that heavy. It’s pretty easy to lift. Maybe 50#?

I should warn one issue. If you plate the inside of the OEM brackets the space between the bumper mounting bolts will widen the width of your added plates. It wasn’t an issue for me because I had to rebuild my fiberglass bumpers as they were trashed when I got them. And I was modifying the brackets to accommodate. What was a few more holes?

do you have a cad drawing/pdf of the bracket that goes in the frame? that is all i need to start on mine.

Sorry but unless cad is short for cardboard? Smile

I started with these and started adding plates that I mocked up with cardboard.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2095493

I whittled down a piece of C-channel inside the OEM brackets. Then I used a cutout wheel on a grinder to cut out the plate shapes and started to melty things together carefully not to warp them too much. It took a couple layers of plate to make them flat on each side to accept the final plate with captive nuts.

It’s a great starter fabrication project. Just think ahead when building it. The only fiddly thing is the captive bolts in the new plates. It is never easy for me to weld in captive nuts and have them line up properly later down the road. It is my Kirk versus Kahn role in life.

Also. Remember to consider the relative location of the fiberglass bumper mounting holes and remember to allow access spaces to some of the inside bumper mounting holes. It’s hard to eat the tator tots out of the breakfast burrito after you weld it shut.

Good luck and ask questions.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

Well, you're no help at all. When we demand to be spoon-fed information, we expect to be spoon-fed information with a smile and a twinkle in the eye.

I hope those pics stay up for a while, 'cause I intend to follow your lead at some point.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
89Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

Reviving/subscribing to this thread after seeing pricing/shipping on the hitches from BusDepot (i'm sure they're worth EVERY penny, but i'm trying to pay for my Lincoln welder by doing fabrication projects.)

My shop is in total disarray because I just moved from MA to IN in 2020, but will likely attempt fabricating something like this at some point (soon-ish?)

@rmcd Any updates on the home build job? Assuming it held up to stress pretty well?

Any load testing/photos?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

I'm going to be doing receiver hitch this summer pretty much like rmcd did, but I'm going to use 3" by 3" square tubing. It will get fastened to modified OG bumper brackets like he did. However, my tubing will be cut and rewelded every 12" so it follows the curve of the fiberglass. The tubing will extend past the brackets all the way to the corner. Then after the fiberglass is mounted, spray foam will fill the entire space between the steel and the bumper itself. The problem with these bumpers is they aren't even OK for a 1MPH smack. This hitch and foam mod will make mine like current cars and should reinforce it to be OK for say... a 1.5 MPH smack. But I will get a receiver hitch out of the deal which is the main impetus. Need one of these as camping gear is starting to multiply.

And for sheer goofiness. I thought I was a nut job, but pale in comparison to the guy who dreamt this one up.

While you're at it, why not go whole hog and use it to mount some outriggers too.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

While you're at it, why not go whole hog and use it to mount some outriggers too.

hahah, i saw the twin hanging chairs and immediately thought of fishing boat. great minds, broken clocks.

BiWerks Design, LLC
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

OK.so I learned I can't upload photos from the desk top. I hate the question marks in the title blue boxes so for the record:

rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

89Westy wrote:
Reviving/subscribing to this thread after seeing pricing/shipping on the hitches from BusDepot (i'm sure they're worth EVERY penny, but i'm trying to pay for my Lincoln welder by doing fabrication projects.)

My shop is in total disarray because I just moved from MA to IN in 2020, but will likely attempt fabricating something like this at some point (soon-ish?)

@rmcd Any updates on the home build job? Assuming it held up to stress pretty well?

Any load testing/photos?

Held up great. Buried the axles in sand. Had a local pull me out. They were not gentle. Chain through my hitch and got a running start at a very uncomfortable angle sideways.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
I'm going to be doing receiver hitch this summer pretty much like rmcd did, but I'm going to use 3" by 3" square tubing. It will get fastened to modified OG bumper brackets like he did. However, my tubing will be cut and rewelded every 12" so it follows the curve of the fiberglass. The tubing will extend past the brackets all the way to the corner. Then after the fiberglass is mounted, spray foam will fill the entire space between the steel and the bumper itself. The problem with these bumpers is they aren't even OK for a 1MPH smack. This hitch and foam mod will make mine like current cars and should reinforce it to be OK for say... a 1.5 MPH smack. But I will get a receiver hitch out of the deal which is the main impetus. Need one of these as camping gear is starting to multiply.

And for sheer goofiness. I thought I was a nut job, but pale in comparison to the guy who dreamt this one up.

Duncan you're as bad as me!

Working on three projects while gathering materials and planning for six more projects!

If I were you I'd be closing up that giant hole inside your van....... though I imagine a grandchild would think that watching the axles spin and the road zip by is the coolest thing EVER!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

WTH STILL BLUE BOXES. One last try.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: