Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

starter bendix/clutch blown
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: starter bendix/clutch blown Reply with quote

my starter began making a noise. pulled it and I can feel the bendix clutch and other spinning parts feel like broken bearings. also, the pinion gear spins both ways unlike other starters I have.

I know about matching 6v and 12v starters to their respective flywheels. However, I have read a couple of posts that say there are 2 other possibilities.

1. last post says there are 12v starters that fit 6v flywheels:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-110552--.html

2. some posts say that 12v starters can be "repun" (respun?) for 6v flywheels :https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-407389--.html

I have a German bosch starter that says 12v. I have German bosch that says 6v. I've checked a lot of the dimensions of these 2 starters with calipers and they seem identical. Both look identical and check out to be larger shaft diam. and gear diam. than third starter I have. Starter on the left is unreadable but I think is a regular 12v with smaller shaft and gear. Centre starter is 6v with bigger gear and shaft. Right starter is 12v with what appears to be same gear and shaft as the 6v...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

6v starter
12v Battery
1200 40hp (measured bore and stroke no numbers on case)
109 tooth flywheel[/img]
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: starter bendix/clutch blown Reply with quote

Do you have a question?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: starter bendix/clutch blown Reply with quote

Starter gear tooth has to match the flywheel. The solenoid needs to match the voltage - 6 or 12. The 6v motor can run on 6 or 12v. 12v motor needs 12v battery
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: starter bendix/clutch blown Reply with quote

should I throw it in and try it? will I wreck my flywheel if I'm wrong? I just noticed that the 6v has its shaft smaller after the bushing.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: starter bendix/clutch blown Reply with quote

The bushing in the trans needs to match the trans and starter. 4 combos, 6/6,12/12, 6/12,12/6
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: starter bendix/clutch blown Reply with quote

k thx for your help! I think I see what's going on. The existing bushing in the trans is for the smaller shaft, I tried sticking in a 12mm tap won't fit. I think the 6v starter was ground down to fit 11mm bushing. Maybe this trans was from a 12v bug... bushing looks very thin.. thanks again
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: starter bendix/clutch blown Reply with quote

There is such a thing as a 6v starter for 130 flywheel teeth, used in 1200 models in Europe from 68 to around 73, you might have one of those, I forgot whats the Bosch model for that
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: