Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mog4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

Made one cupholder/dashpod console. ABS 3d printed, lots of printing time:)
three 52mm holes and 1 squred cut out for a LCD display or 2 switches.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon cup holder dashpod etc Reply with quote

Hey, that's pretty cool. I need something similar for my double DIN stereo install.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
OB Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon cup holder dashpod etc Reply with quote

I like that a lot, to the point I'd like one. Very nice work!!
joelsolomonson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon cup holder dashpod etc Reply with quote

Very cool. Just in time for my additional gauges. Put me on the buyers list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

That is sweet! Nicely done. It meshes very well with the rest of the dash. I bet you could sell those for sure.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

I do like it, especially for extra gauges, etc. Not quite sold on the cup holder locations though. Seem a bit far forward to reach, especially with hot coffee. Maybe it's my short arms talking to me. Of course the sunlight coming down thru the windshield will actually help keep the coffee warm.

Still, very cool setup with lots of possibilities.

Craig
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

I was going to try and make one of these out of wood. but damn this looks amazing!

would you ever make one and sell it?
guevarache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

Interested in purchasing if your interested in selling.
mog4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

thanks for all the encourage Very Happy , this is for the hard/metal surface dashboard, I'm working on another version for the soft/foam padding surface dashboard as two have different profiles/curves. will post more pictures once its suited up. this is fun work to kill some time but if there's enough interests I'm sure I can sell some to fund my South America trip Wink , be aware to print one I need at least 36hours...so it may take 48hrs to ship.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

Well, I just had to go and take my rig out for a drive just to check out the reach to the cup holders and guess what? Even my shortish arms said the reach was no biggy. So they approve your console afterall Thumbs Up Very Happy

Craig
mog4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
Well, I just had to go and take my rig out for a drive just to check out the reach to the cup holders and guess what? Even my shortish arms said the reach was no biggy. So they approve your console afterall Thumbs Up Very Happy

haha, I think its the angle of the picture, cheers
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

Very nice... the creativity never stops on this site..
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

Well done! I wonder if the gauges could be point towards the driver to reduce parallax error (one of the reasons that mounting gauges in the heater vent cover is not ideal). I know nothing about 3D printing other than the results look neat.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

I was just driving a Honda Fit, and was so impressed by all the cup holders!

When I show off my van, people are always so impressed by the functionality: stove, sink, fridge, swivel seats, bed, cabinets . . . so many gadgets to keep them from noticing that there are NO CUP HOLDERS.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Well done! I wonder if the gauges could be point towards the driver to reduce parallax error (one of the reasons that mounting gauges in the heater vent cover is not ideal).

Here's a similar concept one I made ten years ago that has zero parallax.

Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
Well done! I wonder if the gauges could be point towards the driver to reduce parallax error (one of the reasons that mounting gauges in the heater vent cover is not ideal).

Here's a similar concept one I made ten years ago that has zero parallax.

That's cool, in a 'twenty-pounds-of-milled-aluminum-bolted-to-my-dash' kinda way... Laughing

I like the ABS piece, but I do use my ashtray (for holding stuff, not for butts!), and if I stuck something over it, I would want that storage space back.
Also, the parallax issue. If you had a solution to those two issues, I'd be down for a purchase too!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

It's not milled aluminum. It is sheet steel. It has some weight to it, but obviously nowhere near 20 lbs. Maybe 2 lbs without the gauges. I actually made up a few similar designs for 2,3,4, and 6 gauges, had all the cad files finished and was in the process of finding a manufacturer for making them in plastic, but got sidetracked with higher priorities.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

mog4x4 wrote:
thanks for all the encourage Very Happy , this is for the hard/metal surface dashboard, I'm working on another version for the soft/foam padding surface dashboard as two have different profiles/curves. will post more pictures once its suited up. this is fun work to kill some time but if there's enough interests I'm sure I can sell some to fund my South America trip Wink , be aware to print one I need at least 36hours...so it may take 48hrs to ship.

Looks good. Would you consider less height putting the cup holders along the edge and moving the gauges closer to the windshield and raising them up above the surface? Leaving the cup holder not quite at the edge, but far back enough to clear the installation the odd switch or two?

How much plastic did it take to print that?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
It's not milled aluminum. It is sheet steel. It has some weight to it, but obviously nowhere near 20 lbs. Maybe 2 lbs without the gauges. I actually made up a few similar designs for 2,3,4, and 6 gauges, had all the cad files finished and was in the process of finding a manufacturer for making them in plastic, but got sidetracked with higher priorities.

Well, it looks like milled Alu.
But if you say it is in fact sheet steel, well then, good job, Sir! Applause
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
mog4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cup holder/dashpod console Reply with quote

final version for now, will post more pictures tomorrow Wink

will include several different faceplates so you can install different switches if needed.

Max 4 gauges can be installed or make you own configration.

add an ash tray (samilar size as OEM), someone said he wanted to keep the ash tray as a storage LOL

Now all the gauges are pointed towards the driver to reduce parallax error (pls note, the whole console is mounted close to driver side even without the pointed angle, parallax is not too bad, but since you asked, now this version is updated, Cheers)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: