Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What the heck is this?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

I bought a 1988 Vanagon a while back and this is mounted in the instrument cluster. The PO said he didn't install it and it doesn't appear to do anything. The wire disappears down the left side maybe somewhere toward the fuse panel. I can't tell for sure without pulling the dash and right now I'm not that curious.
This link https://www.ebay.de/itm/Bosch-1-987-335-010-Kontrolllampe-Kontrollleuchte-1987335010-/182608244412 is all I could find with the part number on the back. Any guesses?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

german for Pilot light indicator light Confused
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

might be some info here. Link to a web page translated from Russian to English:

https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&...mp;act=url

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

All that I see here is someone else that doesn't know what it is. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

Some vehicles have blinking lights when the doors are locked?
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

Most likely some type of "idiot light" for an aftermarket device someone installed.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

ron3865 wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

From the original posters comment on 'alarm' system I'd wonder if the part on your Vanagon is involved with an anti theft system. I'm sure if you drop the fuse panel, you could find the wires and see where they go.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
ron3865 wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

From the original posters comment on 'alarm' system I'd wonder if the part on your Vanagon is involved with an anti theft system. I'm sure if you drop the fuse panel, you could find the wires and see where they go.

Neil.

------------------
I was thinking alarm also although I can't imagine what this thing would do.
There is also a small red light in the heater panel directly in front of the shift lever. I found a toggle switch on the left side of that panel that turns on the light but nothing more. Then the other day when looking for a good ground wire for a light I was installing I noticed a ground screwed into the right side of the cluster opening in the dash. I unscrewed it and the horn started honking. Put it back and it stopped. Tried the toggle switch and it didn't make a difference which way it was the horn honked when the ground wire was disconnected. The PO knows nothing of this.
Somewhere in the car is an alarm and whether or not it has anything to do with the topic here I have no idea. I can't see the ground wire with the fuse panel dropped and I have no idea what is supposed to set off the alarm, other than unscrewing the ground wire. I kinda like to know what the gray thing is and how this alarm is wired but it looks like the dash is going to have to come off fort that to happen.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

I found an old school alarm jammed up under my dash with a siren under the front by the horn. No idea how to use it so I yanked it. Might be worth a look to see what you can see under there.

Love those undocumented PO modifications.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

My van has one as well.
Mine also used to be a Police van. It was wired into the spinning lights, so it lit up when these lights were on.
Do some research and see if your van had an interesting life.....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

Well, I have a bit more info since my first post. I traced the unknown device and the wires were spliced in to a plactic box located below the vent next to the driver wind wing (see photo #2). Using a mirror I could read "Bosch 1 887 335 007. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I also found out the the added blue ground wire screwed into the side of the dash (see photo #3) also ends up in the same bundle. When I loosen the ground wire the horn starts to honk in a car alarm pulse.

The above mentioned wires were spliced into other wires going into the Bosch box.

I don't want a car alarm and I want to use the case of the round relay that was the reason for this thread. Removing the ground wire causes the horn to go off I'm a bit reluctant to cut the wires to the mysterious dash mounted. relay.

If anyone has a good list of Bosch part numbers I'd sure appreciate finding out what I have.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

This is a long shot guess but if your van has an aux battery maybe switch with red light is for a manually operated battery isolator relay?

What colour wires go in/out of the alarm unit? Or is the Bosch part you show the alarm unit?

My guess is the positive supply wire to the alarm unit will be red. If it isn't, I'd physically follow all wires in/out of the alarm unit until I found the one that either connects to the Vanagon fuse panel or a VW red positive. Then I'd disconnect or cut that alarm unit wire.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
This is a long shot guess but if your van has an aux battery maybe switch with red light is for a manually operated battery isolator relay?

What colour wires go in/out of the alarm unit? Or is the Bosch part you show the alarm unit?

My guess is the positive supply wire to the alarm unit will be red. If it isn't, I'd physically follow all wires in/out of the alarm unit until I found the one that either connects to the Vanagon fuse panel or a VW red positive. Then I'd disconnect or cut that alarm unit wire.

---------------
I don't have an aux battery and there never was one. Without pulling the dash it would be almost impossible to follow any wires goingh in or out of the box screwed onto the left side (Bosch 1 887 335 007.) The plug is on the bottom and all wires going in are wrapped up.
While I was fiddling with it the red light came on a couple of times. There is always power to it and it doesn't change with the key on. What makes me think it's part of an alarm is the the blue ground wire screwed onto the side of the cluster opening is taped up into the same bundle the goes to the Bosch box and this circuitry goes in there too,...I think.
I was hoping someone would be able to locate the part # and description as Google doesn't have anything.
I did learn something on this today. I was able to take apart the "relay" that is shown in the first posting on the thread. The little rectangle in the front of it is a red led light with a lot of circuitry behind it, all wrapped in a copper sheet

Maybe someone can translate this page and tell me what it is and how it works... https://www.ebay.de/itm/Bosch-1-987-335-010-Kontrolllampe-Kontrollleuchte-1987335010-/182608244412
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

Bosch 1 987 335 010 Indicator Warning Light 1987335010
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck is this? Reply with quote

On that PCB you show, if thats a brown wire I'm seeing, it may be for the ground side of the voltage supply that keeps the device turned on. If it is, it may connect to a ground star above the fuse box. If you see a brown wire with an insulated connector or other type that doesn't look the same as the factory ground connectors, that may be ground that powers this unit.

Other than loosing car stereo settings, I can't see any downside to accidentally disconnecting a ground at a ground star.

If it was me, for testing purposes, I'd disconnect the horn and connect a test light so that if the alarm went off, it would light the light not honk the horn.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: