Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! My 72 beetle won't drive right.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekomorgan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Help! My 72 beetle won't drive right. Reply with quote

So I recently put a new 34 pict 3 carb in,new 009 distributor ( old dist. Was also 009), new spark plugs (ngk iridium) because I want to get a 45k volt electronic ignition. But I also replaced the plug wires too. And all gaskets and seals from the carb down to the dual port to head. I've also timed it to 32 degrees and I don't hear backfire when it revs I've also noticed a loud whooshing sound from the engine now, I don't know if that's normal. Also the car runs perfectly fine when it idles in neutral. Nothing wierd, no hesitation, no stumbles, no backfire, no anything. But when Its in gear and under load it hesitates really bad. I'll push the gas down like halfway and it's unresponsive for the first few seconds then gets going.
It's a 1972 standard 1.6 do
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! My 72 beetle won't drive right. Reply with quote

Nekomorgan wrote:
So I recently put a new 34 pict 3 carb in,new 009 distributor ( old dist. Was also 009),

What was the old carb? The hesitation is known for the 009/034 as an issue but some people have made it work?
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! My 72 beetle won't drive right. Reply with quote

Nekomorgan wrote:
So I recently put a new 34 pict 3 carb in,new 009 distributor ( old dist. Was also 009), new spark plugs (ngk iridium) because I want to get a 45k volt electronic ignition. But I also replaced the plug wires too. And all gaskets and seals from the carb down to the dual port to head. I've also timed it to 32 degrees and I don't hear backfire when it revs I've also noticed a loud whooshing sound from the engine now, I don't know if that's normal. Also the car runs perfectly fine when it idles in neutral. Nothing wierd, no hesitation, no stumbles, no backfire, no anything. But when Its in gear and under load it hesitates really bad. I'll push the gas down like halfway and it's unresponsive for the first few seconds then gets going.

New carbs and distributors are often inferior quality. If you still have the old parts and then are genuine Bosch distributor/ solex or bocar carb, I'd try to get them cleaned up/refurbished and reinstall those.
You can do so if you are so inclined or these fine gentleman can help:
Carbs:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1715786
Distributors
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tasb
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=glenn
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=wcfvw69

As mentioned above, the 34pict/009 dist combo have an inherent hesitation, but I suspect that 'whooshing' noise you have could be a vacuum leak (and a sizeable one at that if you can hear it) Time to go looking for vacuum leaks, and sadly you have a lot of gaskets you've disturbed and it could be.

An old mechanic I knew once used incense sticks to 'smoke' the engine along the carb, intakes, gaskets etc to see where the leaks were. If the smoke gets pulled in- there's a leak there
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! My 72 beetle won't drive right. Reply with quote

Look down the carb bore and with motor off slowly open the throttle to WOT, you should see a stream of gas shooting down the carb from the VERY start until the WOT, if not adjust the accelerator pump arm toward the + sign until it runs strong off idle. If no gas you got a bad carb.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! My 72 beetle won't drive right. Reply with quote

It most likely is that 009. They are known for that flat spot, right off the bat. That flat spot is accentuated with any deficiencies, in any of the systems (gas, ignition, compression, exhaust).

I would say, based off of what you wrote, you have a vacuum leak at the intake to heads, or at the carb base, or throttle shaft bushings. Add that with the poor advance capabilities of the 009 at below 2000 rpms. and you got a bad flat spot.

Get a good distributor, with a vacuum advance can. Find the vacuum leak. Then go run that thing like a mad man!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Nekomorgan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! My 72 beetle won't drive right. Reply with quote

Hatracks wrote:
Nekomorgan wrote:
So I recently put a new 34 pict 3 carb in,new 009 distributor ( old dist. Was also 009),

What was the old carb? The hesitation is known for the 009/034 as an issue but some people have made it work?

The old carb was bocar. I'm probably going to rebuild it and clean it.
Nekomorgan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! My 72 beetle won't drive right. Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Nekomorgan wrote:

New carbs and distributors are often inferior quality. If you still have the old parts and then are genuine Bosch distributor/ solex or bocar carb, I'd try to get them cleaned up/refurbished and reinstall those.
Carbs:
Distributors

As mentioned above, the 34pict/009 dist combo have an inherent hesitation, but I suspect that 'whooshing' noise you have could be a vacuum leak (and a sizeable one at that if you can hear it) Time to go looking for vacuum leaks, and sadly you have a lot of gaskets you've disturbed and it could be.

An old mechanic I knew once used incense sticks to 'smoke' the engine along the carb, intakes, gaskets etc to see where the leaks were. If the smoke gets pulled in- there's a leak there

I figured out with the help of a friend that noise is the fan rubbing against the shroud. The noise got really bad and squeaky too. I've checked and no intake leaks. Also I figured out when looking at the generator pulley it wobbled. And with the belt off. You can hear the generator is shot when you turn it. So I'll put in an alternator. But the problem is that the 36mm nut on the back of the fan won't come off even with a breaker bar. So now I have to drop the engine.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! My 72 beetle won't drive right. Reply with quote

Nekomorgan wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Nekomorgan wrote:

Carbs:
Distributors

I figured out with the help of a friend that noise is the fan rubbing against the shroud. The noise got really bad and squeaky too. I've checked and no intake leaks. Also I figured out when looking at the generator pulley it wobbled. And with the belt off. You can hear the generator is shot when you turn it. So I'll put in an alternator.

But the problem is that the 36mm nut on the back of the fan won't come off even with a breaker bar. So now I have to drop the engine.

Its just a big nut on a small shaft, are you turning it the correct direction?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: