Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal.
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eth727
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

I've got some circular holes that I would like to weld up. I was wondering what would be the best tool to use to cut,trim sheet metal. I don't have room for a huge band saw either.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

How big are the holes? Can you just weld them shut?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

Rotary file bits for my drill, 4.5" angle grinder & a sawzall is all I've ever needed.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

smaller than 1/4 I just weld them up, with a chunk of copper held against the other side. 1/2-3/4 hole would be kind of odd, yeah it would be nice to have a way to create small coin size patches. Never really thought about it in depth.
It would be nice to have them punched out of sheet, as the slightly bent edges would be good to reduce distortion. It's tough to weld up a 1/2" hole without distorting the heck out of everything. If you make it slightly concave....then smoosh it flat after it's welded in that will help counter the distortion.
eth727
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

Like 3" . I definitely need to trace them on paper and transfer to sheet metal and cut them exactly the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

simplest way is angle grinder with thin wheels. I also use large hole saw to cut blank but you end up with 1/4 hole in middle. use belt sander to finish.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

eth727 wrote:
Like 3" . I definitely need to trace them on paper and transfer to sheet metal and cut them exactly the same.

yeah!
I use magnets to stick the template to the sheetmetal, then I paint it with some random color of spray paint to make a line to cut on.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

perfectly round ? hole saw.. jig saw with metal blade.. metal sheers.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

modok wrote:
1/2-3/4 hole would be kind of odd, yeah it would be nice to have a way to create small coin size patches. Never really thought about it in depth.

Sheet metal punch or the punch outs from electrical boxes.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

eth727 wrote:
I've got some circular holes that I would like to weld up. I was wondering what would be the best tool to use to cut,trim sheet metal. I don't have room for a huge band saw either.
Thanks

angle grinder w/cut off wheel. jig saw. file. Though I just use a hole saw on my drill press.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

Good God, just use some sheet metal snips like these:
https://www.grainger.com/product/5MD08?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Good God, just use some sheet metal snips like these:
https://www.grainger.com/product/5MD08?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL

Laughing So true, I just cut the top half of a firewall off with these things.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

Angle grinder with a cutoff wheel . . . less than $25 at Harbor freight tools.

I like to fit-up patches made from the same thickness with as small a gap as possible.
I have even resorted, when necessary, to using my Dreamel tool with a super thin cutoff wheel for fine tuning.

My practice piece . . . a bent rear clip someone tried to toss into the garbage . . .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Look Ma, NO Bondo! Razz

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

Dremel wheels suck... I broke 25 when I replaced my rear quarter...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

Did you try to do your entire quarter panel with dremel cut off wheels?
I fit my patch panels as accurately as possible using my angle grinder... The Dremel tool is used simply for fine-tuning the gaps... It is equipped with these...

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

When I say quarter panel I mean this-

And then I cut it to just around the bold holes with a grinder and then cut around my lines with a dremel. I would say I cut most of the piece with a dremel because I had to make sure all the lines were accurate.

Here, you can see what I did kind of-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBWn2r3c8Gs

go to right around the 11 minute mark if you want to skip the beginning of the repair.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Did you try to do your entire quarter panel with dremel cut off wheels?
I fit my patch panels as accurately as possible using my angle grinder... The Dremel tool is used simply for fine-tuning the gaps... It is equipped with these...

I like these Fiberglass-reinforced ones. Seems like they'd stay together better than the rigid/brittle stone ones. Where did you get those?
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

Biggest hardware store you have ever seen!
https://www.mcmaster.com/#1257a76/=1c5k61m
I have yet to break any of them . . . Wink
eth727
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting,trimming tool for sheet metal. Reply with quote

I used a handheld jigsaw flipped upside down on a work table. It's like a poor mans band saw.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: