Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mismatched front fenders
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelski62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

Recently installed drop spindles on our 1962 beetle and noticed that the fenders sit totally different on each wheel. We believe the passenger side fender is OG and driver side was replaced. Pics below

Any suggestions on finding a good OG repop? Replace both or just the driver? We want to drop front end as low as possible without narrowing the beam. We saw a company called Glass action that offers wider fenders would the 1" wider look like sh*t? Help...

Gotta love how one project leads to another....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

Many reproduction fenders are made poorly, thin thickness steel, wrong contours. some can be spotted 100 feet away as wrong. your best bet is an original used one, even one with some dents that need attention are better than a new repro fender. search the want ads. I am very displeased with the repros.

Good luck, Bug On

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Kelski62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Many reproduction fenders are made poorly, thin thickness steel, wrong contours. some can be spotted 100 feet away as wrong. your best bet is an original used one, even one with some dents that need attention are better than a new repro fender. search the want ads. I am very displeased with the repros.

Good luck, Bug On

Thanks bluebus!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

Remember reproductions are copies of a pretty complex hard to measure shape. Then there other issues, like maybe the exact same shape part cant be made out of the same thickness steel because the reproduction press that shapes the parts is of a smaller capacity than the VW factory used, a 20 ton stamping machine verses a 50 ton will be more limited in how deep and how thick metal that can be made.

The VW factory, do to the cost savings in mass production could afford to have a very high quality stamping operation with strict quality control such that fenders made over the period of years, in numbers of the millions, from multiple stamping machines, from multiple factories, produce fenders that are 100% interchangeable in function and appearance. An aftermarket stamping operation for short runs making copies cant compete and still be cost competitive. The huge investment in the factory standard production equipment would not be recovered for the few fenders sold in the replacement part market.

Dont forget the tolerances needed for the welding of the headlamp bucket into the hole in the fender, plus the hole in the fender has to be in the correct spot too. Funky head light buckets, ones that dont hold the chrome trim uniformly, also can be an issue. The factory held that tolerance tight, they did not want to be selling new Bugs with headlamp trim rings that had unsightly ununiform gaps around the fender!

The fender is a more than one stamping of a complex deeply drawn large part, there is punching the holes, and folding over the wheel opening edge, a multi operation press task, with custom dies of tool steel. Then there's the bucket stamping, and then the welding operation, all operations needing to be in perfect alignment with each other. Thats hard for a a reproduction operation to do for such small a market for the fenders. Price them fenders too high to get higher quality and folks will buy from used parts sources, or be inclined to repair fenders rather than replace them, so the market is limited on what can be charged for reproduction fenders.

If reproductions fenders where made to identical quality as factory, at great cost in tooling, theyd have to sell them for maybe $1000 to break even for market replacement needs. and if they did sell for $1000, 99+% of the market would probably resort to repairing existing fenders, or source used fenders. They would sell only a ten a year at that price, if they were lucky, and be forced into bankruptcy, owing creditors for the $100,000's in tooling that was used to make ten fenders.

So good or repairable Used German Originals are prefered always.

If your having it all painted to look nice, the cost in money and effort of prep and paint would be wasted on a Reproduction. For a beater old Bug, as a cost saver, reproductions have their place, they are low cost and VERY low quality option, they dont look quite right, the wheel opening lip can be down right ugly, the lip is often wrinkled and not as tight a radius as stock, these are dead giveaways at 100 feet!
Rap on one with your knuckles and it sounds like a soda can, thin and tinny sound, not a solid thunk like factory.

By this time you probably surmised that I have a low opinion of reproduction fender quality, if so, you are correct. Razz

Bug On, and may all our fenders be good ones, our Bugs deserve no less! (but if you are in a pinch for a beater fender, do what you gotta do, a bad fender is better than no fender!)

Red Bug Purple Bug Orange Bug Green Bug Blue Bug

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

Kelski62 wrote:
. . . noticed that the fenders sit totally different on each wheel.

Sorry, but . . . . I can see that you have no hood weather-strip.
I can see that because the hood is out of adjustment by comparing the fender beads . . . . looks like the front took a good hit.
You should take some measurements up there.

How did you determine that you have one repop and one original front fender?

My '62 has repop fenders . . . I do not like them!
BUT . . . looks like the problem you have is being caused by more than just the fenders.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Kelski62 wrote:

I can see that because the hood is out of adjustment by comparing the fender beads . . . . looks like the front took a good hit.

I agree- look at the gap where the right fender meets the body side near the crest. I'd get all that squared away before considering other factors. I'd only buy fenders in pairs- no two make a matchbook set.

There are a lot of threads covering how to spot an aftermarket fender- but right off the cuff- yours do not have a flare at the rear edge the way SO many aftermarket units do. Thus it is promising that they are the real deal.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Kelski62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Kelski62 wrote:

My '62 has repop fenders . . . I do not like them!
BUT . . . looks like the problem you have is being caused by more than just the fenders.

Yeah plenty of work to be done overall of course. Had this car for 20 years, bad choices from my teenage years are haunting me Haha. We measured the fenders to confirm difference in width and difference in flare was easy to notice.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

It may be dank, but I like the stance. Very cool that you've had it 20 years. That's exactly as long as I've had my Turkis '63 beetle.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
. . . I like the stance. Very cool that you've had it 20 years.

X2 Cool

Take a look under the fenders . . . where the H/L screw attaches . . . many of the repop fenders have a HEXNUT while original VW fenders have a square nut for that screw.

here's an O.G. VW fender on my '57 . . . square weldnut . . .

This is the reproducion fender on my '62 . . . hexnut . . .

SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

Along similar lines to this, why would the bottoms of my fenders not line up with the apron? I'm assuming the car was hit at some point. I'll have to check the fenders, thanks for the info on the headlight nut, Blitz!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

It is quite easy to reshape the roll on the lower part of the fender to make it match the front apron. This, of course, should be done before paint.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

The part that bothers me is how the horn vents/lights aren't symmetrical. Is there a way to rotate the fenders to make them line up more?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

SparksLP wrote:
The part that bothers me is how the horn vents/lights aren't symmetrical. Is there a way to rotate the fenders to make them line up more?

That is an entirely different thing from the rolled edges not lining up with the apron.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

SparksLP wrote:

Slot the holes in the fenders that the body mount bolts go thru. maybe that will help, maybe not. try with a couple slotted holes first, and see if moving the fender like that works, if so, go ahead and slot the rest of the holes, if not, dont slot the rest

Good Luck, Bug On!

SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

That's actually what I was considering doing. I figured slotting the holes and some "gentle massaging" would get it closer to normal, haha. My Bug isn't a show car, so I don't expect perfection.
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

Following up, I did a quick measurement of my fenders, one side is"wider" than the other by about half an inch/ one inch. Would it make sense to try to roll out the edge of the fender to get them to match more? Both of my fenders have the hex nut welded for the headlight bucket screw, so I'm assuming they are both aftermarket fenders.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

SparksLP wrote:
Following up, I did a quick measurement of my fenders, one side is"wider" than the other by about half an inch/ one inch. Would it make sense to try to roll out the edge of the fender to get them to match more? Both of my fenders have the hex nut welded for the headlight bucket screw, so I'm assuming they are both aftermarket fenders.

I will assume your modification of rolling the aftermarket fenders will involve repainting, a lot of work overall, and in the end you will still have aftermarket fenders. I suggest you buy some decent used original fenders, even if they need some body work to them, fitting dents and such, maybe weld a tear, the effort make them paint ready probably is not that much more than trying to remove the half to one inch error of the fenders you have now. The end result will be you will nice original fenders, all for the nominal increased cost of purchasing a pair of stock fenders that need work. Its not like you need to lay top dollar for pristine stock fenders.

Which end result do you want, a pair of aftermarket poorly shaped fenders that ylu alter to kind of match each other, OR a pair lf stock German fenders that you did body work on to make nice, that are correct in every detail?

Besides given both fenders you have are aftermarket, do you try to narrow the wide one, or fatten the skinny one? Your trying to match a bad fender to another bad fender, neither will ever be right, all your efforts and repaint for something still that is not right. Original fenders will only become harder to come by in the future, get them while you still can, put your time and money in a pair of stock fenders, something you will be proud of 10, 20 years from now.

Thats my advice, efforts to make the current fenders right are wasted, they will a,ways be pardon my language, half assed, no matter what you do to them Live with them while you search out repairable stock fenders while you can still get them

Link....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...rds=fender

Good luck either way, Bug on with German Steel!

SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the advice! I'll start looking for a stock set, hopefully I can find something workable.
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

Follow up to the follow up. Spent some time with a drill and a file, that fender lines up much better! No one would pay me to fix theirs, but we now know the concept is sound!

alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatched front fenders Reply with quote

Hi,
a lot of work for better Looks!
Is it just me or are your bumper and your bumper grommets mounted upside down?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: