Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
It is 3,000 miles across the USA, a lot if it empty and many of the highways I choose to take are are not well traveled or populated. I once traveled for two hours in Southern Idaho and saw eight cars.
Many areas haven't any surface water.

I guess it must be different in Australia then, seeing as we have such a densely populated country with an abundance of water.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
It is 3,000 miles across the USA, a lot if it empty and many of the highways I choose to take are are not well traveled or populated. I once traveled for two hours in Southern Idaho and saw eight cars.
Many areas haven't any surface water.

I guess it must be different in Australia then, seeing as we have such a densely populated country with an abundance of water.

Individuals do what works for them and makes them comfortable.

I won't question you obviously ignoring your engine in the morning and recklessly taking off into the Outback. Wink

And

You don't question me for being careful and doing some pre-flight checks before venturing into the wild American West.

OK? ...... Deal?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

^^^^^
I am much like Dave.

My wife says I spend almost as much time crawling under, over, and around the van than I do with her! I am always checking for leaks, noises, and everything to do with the van.

I had the old plastic overflow tank crack open while off in the back roads of Utah. It is not a lot of fun to look back and see white smoke and smell antifreeze. I was able to J-B Weld the crack after it cooled and get home. I also have had the caps leak, get cross threaded, and fail too many times.

Ever since I installed the RMW tank, years ago, I have had zero issues with the expansion tank.

Worth the money.

I have (3)three new blue caps, and (2)two new plastic expansion tanks for my families other vans. Just in case they want them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
I check all fluid levels before embarking on a days journey.

As mentioned, You cannot see inside the aluminum tank. IF the hose between the RMW tank and the VW overflow tank gets compromised somehow, a hole in the hose or a loose connection, this will NOT allow the vacuum created on system cool down to draw the liquid expelled when hot to be drawn back in.

If this happens, your system is now low on coolant.

A risk I'm not willing to assume. Wink

I worry a tad, I think I watch the oil pressure gauge and the temperature gauge while driving more than I glance at the Speedometer...... Laughing Shocked

Dave

So every day before driving you open the rear hatch, remove the engine cover and remove the cap on the RMW tank to visually check the level in case you have a hole in the hose between the two tanks?

Even if there was a hole in the hose and your system was low on coolant, the coolant level alarm would keep flashing after you start the car and you would know about it immediately, particularly if you have an audible coolant alarm.

Absolutely Yes. ^^^

Fact is, most coolant leaks happen on a stone cold engine. So after cool down and the system draws coolant back in, during the night, or during days of being parked, the system can leak.

I had my thermostat cover leak once. I discovered it in the morning hours outside of Billings Montana.

My tank was low so I began seeking why, I found that I had a puddle on the ground.
I had it fixed in 20 minutes or so (nice job on a cold engine, it would be hell on a hot engine) and we were off for a day of trouble free motoring to Great Falls.
Bonus! I had water available and a place to clean up afterwards.

Here in the States dash warning lights are called "idiot lights"..... for a reason.
I don't trust them 100% for electronic systems do fail.
I do however trust my eyes.....
I Look at all fluids, belts, hoses, general overall engine area condition.
I even stop and open the lid a SECOND time after a few miles (I pack accordingly) and my automatic transmission oil gets to operating temperature.... time to check it.

Many areas haven't any surface water. I much prefer using distilled water and always carry a few gallons "just in case".

I'm not going to risk a break down somewhere like in the barrens of Eastern Montana because I was lazy and didn't take a few minutes in the morning to pop the cover and look...... such a simple task to skip.

Off topic, but....
I don't play much music either. I prefer to spend the time with my Wife talking, or in mutual silence watchingbthe World go by and I listen to the vehicle and the highway roll by.
A running antique VW will tell you a lot about its health ....... if you listen to it.

These quirks of mine keep me rolling without any serious mechanical problems.

I Err on the side of caution, my vacation time is too precious to waste making PREVENTABLE roadside repairs or waiting for a tow truck.

If I ever see you stranded along the highway, I'll stop and help.
I carry the tools, parts and supplies that are probably needed to get you rolling again.

Dave

I would agree with Dave most Leaks or fails happen at night when it sits. Mine leaks more at night then on the road at the cap.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Get serious. The major engine threatening leaks more often happen when the system is under the most pressure, namely when the engine is running.

Sure, sometimes you get leaks while cold and these can provide valuable warning that something is up. Pay attention to any sign of dripping, parked cold or hot under pressure when you stop for gas.

Seeing the level in the tank without opening the cap is a big advantage of the stock tanks. I doubt I would give that up. I have replaced quite a few stock tanks without many failures of the replacements. The main issues I see are from over tightening of the sensor in the tank leading to failure of the sensor.

Mark

andrew163980 wrote:

I would agree with Dave most Leaks or fails happen at night when it sits. Mine leaks more at night then on the road at the cap.
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Get serious. The major engine threatening leaks more often happen when the system is under the most pressure, namely when the engine is running.

Sure, sometimes you get leaks while cold and these can provide valuable warning that something is up. Pay attention to any sign of dripping, parked cold or hot under pressure when you stop for gas.

Seeing the level in the tank without opening the cap is a big advantage of the stock tanks. I doubt I would give that up. I have replaced quite a few stock tanks without many failures of the replacements. The main issues I see are from over tightening of the sensor in the tank leading to failure of the sensor.

Mark

andrew163980 wrote:

Well mine did would leak a tiny amount on road checks then would park it come back 1-2 hours and be a small puddle cup or so. Seems like the cap it holding on for life and the threads have served their job saving for the metal I love peace of mind and RMW is close.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Dave,
I was the one that got your old tank and cap and just recently installed it in my van. I want to take another opportunity here to say "thanks" for the tank and cap. It is holding up awesome.
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

I am going to try a moroso 63773 aluminum tank on my svx build. It comes with a sight tube. Just need to buy the fittings and some new hoses.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-63773?seid=...o7EALw_wcB
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:
Dave,
I was the one that got your old tank and cap and just recently installed it in my van. I want to take another opportunity here to say "thanks" for the tank and cap. It is holding up awesome.

Glad it wotks for you!

Good to hear an update.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Now you will be incessantly opening the tank cap when cold to check the coolant level! Laughing (unless you completely trust idiot lights)

I have queried this before but this seems fairly unnecessary to me and would be interested to see if the average person thinks this is necessary. I drive my van every day and have never felt the need to check the level in th RMW tank since I installed it and bled it. I would sell my van if I had so little faith in its intergrity that I felt compelled to do this incessantly.

Yes, we have discussed this, not sure why you bring it up again.

Here is the link to your last query..... you might continue the discussion in there instead of doing it all over again here..........

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

It all has to do with the level of pre trip checking that you are comfortable with.

Dave
Umm, actually you brought it up again
As a "tongue in cheek" joke with Kam.
Did you notice the laughing emoji?
I know Kam is very diligent about her vehicle maintenance.

Dave

So as not to take the RMW/VC thread off-topic, I'll respond to the above here.

First, I'll repeat what I posted over there: Went on a Lowe's run a few weeks ago. Arrived home to see a puddle... again. Evil or Very Mad Blasted level sensor O-ring, only 2-3 years old, was hard as a rock. Two tanks, two level sensors, three O-rings in 8 years... damn the expense, but I'm done with that poorly-engineered plastic crap. And, as Dad said (happened to be visiting the day the tank arrived), the welds are works of art. Cool

Second, to answer Mellow's question, I won't be taking the cap off every single time I drive the van. During a pre-flight check before a lengthy road trip, absolutely, but more for simple peace of mind. My van is an anomaly, based on all the topics around here Laughing : I've never had a bleed issue, have never had to open the radiator bleeder, and the expansion tank has never run low (nor did the plastic tank ever like being brim full -- it preferred being just above the upper hose). While it is a little weird not being able to glance at the reservoir and see the coolant level, my van has never (knock on wood) given me reason to be concerned about having this new metal tank installed. The only issues I have ever had with the plastic version: Leaky level sensors (thanks mainly to faulty O-rings) and 2 leaky tanks thanks to cracks, which all, fortunately, presented themselves at or near home.

Third, a bonus to the RMW tank: I got to cut about a foot off that overflow hose; no longer hovering over the A/C compressor as a result.

Fourth, here's a picture of the beauty installed:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

What level sensor does RMW use and is it available separate from the tank as a replacement part?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

KamZ, as usual with the cleanest engine picture(s) I have ever seen.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
What level sensor does RMW use and is it available separate from the tank as a replacement part?

Sensor brand/part #, don't know, but, yes, it's available separately: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2449_227/coolant_level_sensor_for_aluminum_reservoir.html .

The cap is available at your FLAPS -- Stant #31518.

bobbyblack wrote:
KamZ, as usual with the cleanest engine picture(s) I have ever seen.

Not the cleanest out there, but I try... Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

It sounds like the stock tanks (aftermarket) may have gotten worse. Years ago, when I installed my Subaru engine, I bought a later one (I have an '84) because it fit better in my cooling design. No problems whatsoever and there were no problems with the original. The vanagon tank looks to be made of the same material as the Passat I owned. That tank doesn't fail, but the glued in sensor does sometimes after 100,000 miles or more.

Plastic tanks are used everywhere and there is nothing wrong with using them, unless they are designed/manufactured badly or are experiencing some environmental factor outside of design limits. I'm an old engineer and saw the transition from craptastically cheap plastic to engineered plastics that are stronger than most steels. Most people still have a bias against plastics because of the cheap stuff toys (and poorly designed products) are made of.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Cool. Thanks.

Hehe (as in coolant?) Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
It sounds like the stock tanks (aftermarket) may have gotten worse. Years ago, when I installed my Subaru engine, I bought a later one (I have an '84) because it fit better in my cooling design. No problems whatsoever and there were no problems with the original. The vanagon tank looks to be made of the same material as the Passat I owned. That tank doesn't fail, but the glued in sensor does sometimes after 100,000 miles or more.

Plastic tanks are used everywhere and there is nothing wrong with using them, unless they are designed/manufactured badly or are experiencing some environmental factor outside of design limits. I'm an old engineer and saw the transition from craptastically cheap plastic to engineered plastics that are stronger than most steels. Most people still have a bias against plastics because of the cheap stuff toys (and poorly designed products) are made of.

My Grandfather (born in the 1880's) LOVED plastic!
He embraced plastic with great enthusiasm.
Early plastics were Bakelite and similar hard fragile items.
Honestly? They were crap, I thought so as a child, but he was forward looking for his day.

He would be standing right next to you expounding the attributes of plastic!

Me? I'm installing aluminum, steel and stainless getting rid of that plastic crap.

My Grandfather would be so very sad and disappointed in me........

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Does anyone know how much coolant the rmw tank holds Compared to stock? Curious as I'm researching aluminum tanks at the moment.
dhaines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

I got the tank to replace the crap factory plastic tank when I did my subaru conversion.
It is a fantastic tank, built to last and wont crack or leak like the plastic one did.
Not having to buy the stupid german style blue cap was another bonus.

The only downside that I have experienced is that some coolant can slowly weep out of the threads of the level sensor.
I have tried tightening up the sensor.
I have tried removing and redoing the thread tape.
I guess it must be hard to seal a plastic sensor against an aluminum tank. Probably something to do with different material expansion rates.

At the end of the day I just accepted the fact that this minor weeping of coolant was never going to stop.

If I every buy another van, I'd get a Tank for it as well.
warrenmzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

dhaines wrote:
The only downside that I have experienced is that some coolant can slowly weep out of the threads of the level sensor.
I have tried tightening up the sensor.
I have tried removing and redoing the thread tape.
I guess it must be hard to seal a plastic sensor against an aluminum tank. Probably something to do with different material expansion rates.

At the end of the day I just accepted the fact that this minor weeping of coolant was never going to stop.

If I every buy another van, I'd get a Tank for it as well.

I had the same weep from the level sensor. RMW sent me a new sensor. All good now - no weeping.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: