Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbucci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Most large trucks use sight glasses in the pressure tank to quickly check coolant levels. Usually 2 to represent the full and low levels. These could be added to a new/ used RMW tank and would make a great addition. Even better if the tank came with them installed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Only one would be needed. Anything less than full is low.
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

lbucci wrote:
Most large trucks use sight glasses in the pressure tank to quickly check coolant levels. Usually 2 to represent the full and low levels. These could be added to a new/ used RMW tank and would make a great addition. Even better if the tank came with them installed.

That is a great idea. thank you.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

How would we add a sight glass? Wouldn't one have to drill, tap, and collet? Or am I ignorant of something?

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
How would we add a sight glass? Wouldn't one have to drill, tap, and collet? Or am I ignorant of something?

Best!

Drill a hole and weld a bung over it that fits the visual sensor threads.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

He said "bung". Laughing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

[quote="djkeev"]
msinabottle wrote:

Best!

You of course need to get the correct size:

https://www.google.com/search?q=aluminum+weld+bung...mp;bih=600
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Now to see if RMW adds this to later versions of their tank.

It is tempting to replace the old plastic tank when you learn how hard it is to find a good pressure cap (just rolled back from my FLAPS where I tested one I ordered right at the counter and pronounced it DOA). I have an OEM one on the way but I figured if I had two, that was better. I expect the replacement they find will be no better but maybe I'll be surprised.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

This looks like a somewhat interesting solution, though there is no provision for a sensor - I wonder if there is a cap with one already integrated...

http://www.radiumauto.com/Coolant-Expansion-Tank-Universal-P971.aspx
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Now to see if RMW adds this to later versions of their tank

Gowesty are doing an alumnium tank with level indication for 86+

https://www.gowesty.com/product/fluid-tanks-reservoirs/25265/aluminum-coolant-expansion-tank
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

I like to see a version for the early 1.9L/ diesels engines, I may have one custom made Idea
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Mimicking a stock tank in aluminum is fairly straightforward. Weldable cap and hose bungs are readily available. Access to a shear and someone that can TIG weld and you have a tank.

But, for most folks, something like GW or RM is a good value for the cost. Unless they are fabricating them in Mexico, they aren’t making a lot of profit. They do solve a problem that can lead to a catastrophic engine failure. That’s good for business to have these out there running.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

I sent a feeler out to a local mariner /boat fabricated , he needs and old tank, to pull the numbers from but said it was doable Cool cost Question he said a close estimate would come after the paper plan /mockup

I need to find a junk tank in the mean time,
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

the joker wrote:
I like to see a version for the early 1.9L/ diesels engines, I may have one custom made Idea

its a bit of a custom job hose wise, but generally speaking the fitment is more or less a drop in, at least it was on tdi swap. no reason you couldnt make it work with the stock diesel hoses - this was hacked up due to lack of an oil warmer.

can easily swap the fittings for different hoses sizes to suit...

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:

It is tempting to replace the old plastic tank when you learn how hard it is to find a good pressure cap (just rolled back from my FLAPS where I tested one I ordered right at the counter and pronounced it DOA). I have an OEM one on the way but I figured if I had two, that was better. I expect the replacement they find will be no better but maybe I'll be surprised.

i switched to the RMW tank in no small part because of the cap issue. i've found the RMW cap venting is so freakin' reliable that the overflow tank serves as a true level indicator, no sight glass needed. pressure tank is always plumb full. besides, there IS a level indicator... the tank probe and temp gauge LED.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

the joker wrote:
I sent a feeler out to a local mariner /boat fabricated , he needs and old tank, to pull the numbers from but said it was doable Cool cost Question he said a close estimate would come after the paper plan /mockup

I need to find a junk tank in the mean time,

The original plastic tank would be hard and expensive to try and duplicate because of the rounded shape it has so that the plastic will not overly deform under pressure. If you are having a metal tank fabricated then having a flat sided tank is fine and would be way way cheaper.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:

i switched to the RMW tank in no small part because of the cap issue. i've found the RMW cap venting is so freakin' reliable that the overflow tank serves as a true level indicator, no sight glass needed. pressure tank is always plumb full. besides, there IS a level indicator... the tank probe and temp gauge LED.

This has been my approach with the Bostig coolant tank. Checking the overflow tank is covers the van's needs, checking coolant in the pressure tank does not provide helpful additional information.

$299

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

This has been my approach with the Bostig coolant tank. Checking the overflow tank is covers the van's needs, checking coolant in the pressure tank does not provide helpful additional information.

$299

Damn, that's beautiful! Well done Jim Akiba! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

^^^^^^ Agreed - beautiful workmanship!
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

$299

Are you running the stock plastic Zetec thermostat housing?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: